40% Pitts Challenger (Bulldog)

Here ya go tech.

Thanks that's just what I need. When I looked for a spring tutorial I found one that used the Helix object so that's what I used not knowing they had a spring object too. The spring object has all the adjustments I want so I may end up making the spring again the way I wanted to the first time. Again thanks !

This one is about ready for mapping. All parts are named, pivoted, and linked to appropriate counterparts. I do have one worry about it though. I finally cleaned the file of all unnecessary items including all render scene items. If you look at the poly/tri count in the upper left of the viewport, you'll notice that the total polys are different than the selected total. All parts are selected in this count, I have checked and double checked that. So, I'm slowly working my way through each and every part looking for any bad geometry. So far, things are clear so I'm a little confused.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 03-18-20 at 11.13 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 03-18-20 at 11.13 PM.PNG
    489.2 KB · Views: 6
Yeah that's an odd one. Is there any part that's maybe collapsed in the schematic so it's not being selected.

I'm not sure what's going on. The poly counter in the toolbox is reading differently than my on screen counter. At least that one isn't giving conflicting numbers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 03-18-20 at 11.44 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 03-18-20 at 11.44 PM.PNG
    519.2 KB · Views: 6
HMMM, when you say "all parts", Is there a chance you missed 1 or 2 ( I know your checking), or perhaps something that might be internal and/or hidden...??? such as a part protruding into the fuse or wing, were you might have missed some faces on a part..??,....I`m just guessing here Andy, or maybe just trying to get gears turning or joggle your memory, based on what I`ve read in the forums and/or experienced...???

That doesn’t explain the difference between the two poly counters. I do feel better about it since the other one comes out with a matching number.

Can't wait to get some paint on this one. The metal setting in the materials gives it a nice reflective quality. Mapping will begin within the next day or so.

Attachments

• 3dsMax.jpg
    3dsMax.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 13
Had a few extra minutes this morning so I started playing with the map. I'm only going to have two halves for the fuselage. Here is a couple shots showing just how powerful using the mapping guides I use can be. This is just a quick edit, but you can see how I'm able to remove the stretching by adjusting things in the UV editor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 03-19-20 at 06.45 AM 001.PNG
    Screen Shot 03-19-20 at 06.45 AM 001.PNG
    661.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 03-19-20 at 06.45 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 03-19-20 at 06.45 AM.PNG
    613.9 KB · Views: 11
Had a few extra minutes this morning so I started playing with the map. I'm only going to have two halves for the fuselage. Here is a couple shots showing just how powerful using the mapping guides I use can be. This is just a quick edit, but you can see how I'm able to remove the stretching by adjusting things in the UV editor.
Looking great Andy, how are you planning on doing the main wings, stabs. and wing struts By that, I mean how many parts (tops, bottoms, sides etc.).

Looking great Andy, how are you planning on doing the main wings, stabs. and wing struts By that, I mean how many parts (tops, bottoms, sides etc.).
The rest of the model will be mapped as any other model really. Wings will have tops and bottoms, struts will have two sides, and so on. The vertical wing tips will be laid flat and rest along side the wing they go with to allow graphics to be applied clearly. Things like the flying wires and such will most likely be baked simply to allow all space possible for the rest of the model. That’s a huge downfall to doing a bipe, you’ve got an extra set of wings that eats away at the map surface. I’ll also sacrifice quality on smaller parts to allow the bigger, more noticeable parts to have the best quality I can give them. For example, if I’ve got to shrink the struts and squeeze them into a small area, I’ll do that over shrinking a wing set.

Sounds good, You obviously are are aware of the CS I`m doing, thus my question. I think the insides of the struts can be stacked, not sure about the outsides. I`ll have to check later, when I have more time.

Sounds good, You obviously are are aware of the CS I`m doing, thus my question. I think the insides of the struts can be stacked, not sure about the outsides. I`ll have to check later, when I have more time.
Yeah, there’s no graphics on the struts on the CS you’re doing so in theory they could be, but I try and map with future CS‘s in mind.

Yeah, there’s no graphics on the struts on the CS you’re doing so in theory they could be, but I try and map with future CS‘s in mind.
Just to be clear, I was referring to the "wing struts", which do graphics on the outside of them, I haven`t seen a pic. that shows the inside of them. I think you`re referring to the landing gear struts, which don`t have any, so you can probably make those a little smaller when you map them.

Just to be clear, I was referring to the "wing struts", which do graphics on the outside of them, I haven`t seen a pic. that shows the inside of them. I think you`re referring to the landing gear struts, which don`t have any, so you can probably make those a little smaller when you map them.
On the Pics I’m using there isn’t any there

Attachments

• 03C1B01E-4CAE-4278-89EA-78EB9AA9291E.jpeg
    03C1B01E-4CAE-4278-89EA-78EB9AA9291E.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 04E9D511-833E-4171-93D4-3AE1EDD57E2C.jpeg
    04E9D511-833E-4171-93D4-3AE1EDD57E2C.jpeg
    831.4 KB · Views: 14
Hey Andy, found another (rare close up) pic. today of the real plane which I`ll be using as reference, not sure if you`ll find it useful or not, but here it is....Also noticed that you haven`t modeled the struts on the main wing,. right behind the main struts,they`re in the 3-views and this pic. ....Kind of hard to tell where/how they`re attached on the upper and lower wings...???? Hoping you know more about that than me.:confused::confused:

Attachments

• ScreenShot178.jpg
    ScreenShot178.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, I won’t be doing those. The 3 views give me the basic shape but from there I’m going for the Pilot model I linked to at the beginning of the thread.

Yeah, I won’t be doing those. The 3 views give me the basic shape but from there I’m going for the Pilot model I linked to at the beginning of the thread.
Understood, I really don`t care for them myself, just thought I`d mention it/them, just in case you had overlooked them, before you got into mapping.

Back