AJ Laser 230z 73

technoid

I decided to help out Alex A and model the AJ Laser 230z 73 inch wingspan for him so I thought I'd drop by and post a few shots of where I'm at now. It's starting to look like the AJ 230z but still needs some work to get it right, it's not quite there yet. But at least this gives you a look at where I'm going. This is going to be a joint effort I'll create the model and when I'm ready to start mapping it I'll send it to Alex and he'll create the Physics for it. Then after I finish the mapping I'll send him the plane and he'll do the Color Scheme for it. So I'll model it but Alex will do the physics and cs for it. Oh it'll be powered by a Desert Aircraft DA-35.

Attachments

• AJ Laser 230z 73 02.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 02.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 26
  • AJ Laser 230z 73 03.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 03.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 21
  • AJ Laser 230z 73 04.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 04.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 17
Will do. Might not be this exact model but the gear should work at least. I believe the pivots are even setup.

I knew you wouldn't be able to not have a project to work on. I'd be glad to help with the physics, beta testing, etc again.
It's a winter wonderland here today. I did get to fly my heli in the snow. Just got done clearing the first 5 inches and more is coming down. Tomorrow looks like a definite vacation day from work even though my car has AWD. We're supposed to get freezing rain and drizzle on top of the snow before it all ends.

I knew you wouldn't be able to not have a project to work on. I'd be glad to help with the physics, beta testing, etc again.
It's a winter wonderland here today. I did get to fly my heli in the snow. Just got done clearing the first 5 inches and more is coming down. Tomorrow looks like a definite vacation day from work even though my car has AWD. We're supposed to get freezing rain and drizzle on top of the snow before it all ends.

Thanks I'll send you something later when I get it going.

I wanted to find a why to get the size of the plane right since the first pass was just moving and sizing stuff until it looked kind of right, but I knew it was still off. So I searched the web for a top view of the plane and found a very large picture of a guy hovering it and the plane was almost perfectly straight up. So I grabbed the picture cut the plane out in Photoshop and rotated it just a bit and colored the parts with different colors. I just put it in 3ds Max and thought I'd share of picture of what I created to set the planes size up right. The first pass was a decent guess but now I can get it right.

Attachments

• AJ Laser 230z 73 05.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 05.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 14
Here's what it looks like after setting the sizes to match the picture of the top view I created. According to the picture the gear is moved back a tiny bit which I haven't done yet. I'll also put on my newest wheel pants which are more rounded and better looking. So it's coming along pretty well. I will either tear my system down tomorrow or Tuesday to start rebuilding it so I won't be working on any planes for a while after I start that. But I will be able to post on the forum using our home file server.

Attachments

• AJ Laser 230z 73 06.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 06.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 11
Looking awesome mate, cant wait to start flying it and setting it up, looks better every time i see it

Cheers Alex

After getting abaser's cool AJ Laser and looking at the great job he did on the tail gear made me what to improve the gear on the one I'm doing. But after looking at the stock gear on the AJ Laser 230z I thought I better recreate it as close as I could since it's a different type. But let me tell you abaser did a great job on those springs they look very cool. Anyway here's what I ended up doing to match the gear I've seen on the AJ Laser 230z. And Andy thanks for sharing it with me it inspired me to do a better job on the one I'm doing.

Attachments

• AJ 73 in Laser 230z Tail Gear.jpg
    AJ 73 in Laser 230z Tail Gear.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 14
  • AJ Laser 230z 73 07.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 07.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 15
Looking awesome mate, cant wait to start flying it and setting it up, looks better every time i see it

Cheers Alex

Alex,

You know doing all the work it takes to get a model going in 3ds max makes you want to finish it out and see the working model you created on the swaps. So here's what I'd like to do if it's okay with you. I know you want your own version of the plane on the swaps so I'll finish the plane including the physics and cs and release it as the AJ Laser 230z 73 and then I'll give you permission to take the finished model and do your physics and color scheme and release it as Your EA but all I ask is for you to mention I did the modeling for you. But as I created the model in 3ds Max I can't help but want to finish it out and release it on my own too. So is that okay with you?

Gary

Yes Gary that is perfectly fine by me i just really appreciate all the work that you are putting into it and really appreciate you taking on the plane

Cheers Alex

Yes Gary that is perfectly fine by me i just really appreciate all the work that you are putting into it and really appreciate you taking on the plane

Cheers Alex

Okay good deal. I'm finishing some chores today and once I get everything done I'll be taking my computer down to rebuild it completely. The only thing from the old system I'll be using is the case, power supply and Blu-ray so almost everything will be new. So this will be the last day I work on anything until I get it back up and going again, which for me is usually a week since I have to install all the hardware, reinstall all the programs, and then make a system restore so I can return it to a fresh install anytime I want. But I'm really looking forward to doing some benchmarks in RF-X with the new system, it should be a huge change.

Good luck with the new system. I'm still spending $$$ on more real helis instead of new computer equipment. I just bought another Oxy 3 complete frame and misc. parts. I'll eventually get around to a new computer and re-installing my RF-X copy.

Last edited:
I started working on the computer yesterday but by the time I made sure I had everything backed up I decided that was enough so I stopped for the day. So I thought I'd take some time this morning to put my newest set of wheel pants on. They're the second set I made and are much better than my first set so here's a render with the new wheel pants on it. And you can see the new tail gear too.

Attachments

• AJ Laser 230z 73 08.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 08.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 9
I thought I'd do one more thing before I shut my computer down for the rebuild I just gave the Laser it's first ride in RF. I'm getting ready to shut the computer down now so I won't be working on it for a while. The next thing I need to do is add the cutouts for the intakes in the cowl which will require a little reshaping too, so there's a fair amount of work there. But it's starting to look like something now.

Attachments

• AJ Laser 230z 73 09.jpg
    AJ Laser 230z 73 09.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 13
Back