Another Spitfire

willsonman said:
I suppose I am doing this incorrectly. I have tried to apply new materials to the canopy and also tried to apply reflectiveness to make the model glossy looking but I keep getting errors on export to kex saying that I need to use only one texture. Anyone want to PM me on how to do this properly?

Which modeling program are you using? If you are using 3dsMax take a look at my attached screen shot.

This is the materials list:

There are multiple (more than can be shown in that image) materials you can set.

~The top left "ball" is the actual material I have mapped for the tga file.

~The second "ball" in is the "glass" material (I actually have my mouse over this...so the "glass" mouseover effect is visible.

~The third "ball" in is set for "aluminum" material (this is the one I have selected (note the white highlight around the box) If you look below in the menu you can see some of the properties I applied to change the color, gloss, transparency etc.

~In the second row the first "ball" (Black) that is obviously applied to many objects in the model...the main being the tires.

~The remaining "balls" are for other various objects in the model.....not to mention several more materials...that aren't visible without scrolling down.

To apply them....select the object you'd like (tire for instance) and apply.

I hope this helps explain it a bit?

Attachments

• materials.jpg
    materials.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Been thinking about finishing this one now that the Helldiver is complete. With anticipation of getting G4 for my birthday (may1) I have a project I have been working on for that. Dunno. Been kicking around a few ideas today now that it is finished. so... maybe.

looks good

I like this bird. This looks like another beauty is about to head our way. keep up the good work!!!!!!!

Last edited:
FLAT Learning Curve:

Junkboy999 said:
I modeled a Stick to day.. Not the trainerr RC called a stick, Just a stick with another stick attached to it for a wing. :0

Might take me a few month but I'll get there.

Just keep the models coming and we'll try to get them all done :)
I'm going to get with Junkboy999 to figure out how to model!!! :D Maybe even get THREE sticks hooked together.

I love the Spitire.. well I love all the old piston warbirds really, I'm hopefull of seeing the folding wing version Seafire MkIII sometime inasmuch as I sent the three views to that prolific design wizard... er Cowboy..a week or so ago, roll on the dark nights again ;) I'd also love a Merlin V12 sound file should onebecome available.. I have the full gas P51 that sounds very superghargerfied... but its not quite a Merlin :)

Donut

I'd also love a Merlin V12 sound file should onebecome available.. I have the full gas P51 that sounds very superghargerfied... but its not quite a Merlin :) Donut[/QUOTE said:
Check out the PBY Catalina edit by flip3d (that would be me). The sound from this engine(s) setup comes as close to a multi-cylinder aircraft engine as I have been able to come up with. COMPLICATED?... YES. But a satisfying sound.

flip3d said:
Check out the PBY Catalina edit by flip3d (that would be me). The sound from this engine(s) setup comes as close to a multi-cylinder aircraft engine as I have been able to come up with. COMPLICATED?... YES. But a satisfying sound.

I'm off looking for it, hopefully its not an addon aircraft :)

cheers

Donut

I took a look at this yesterday and pretty much all I need to do is finish the UV map. Bonanza has offered to do a CS for it, which I am glad to take. I'll try to get bits a pieces done on it but it may be awhile as I have other projects and such. The wife is due in a month so we are mostly gearing up for that. I appreciate the interest in this since there are many other spitfires available to fly.

mmm.. yes and no. I decided to take it up again at first as a request but then he decided he also would like the Avro Lancaster and that is the "current" project. I JUST got back into town and am checking all my messages. I had to go to a funeral and it was loverly. I have a core shutdown at work for minor renovation/calibration work and so things should be slower. While I am still working on the Lancaster I will eventually get to this aircraft.

Change of plans. It will probably never be done. I discovered today that my storage drive is hosed so I lost all my work I ever did on it. Just thought I would update here.

sorry to here that....

I know how it feels to be wiped out, it happened to me about a half year ago. I hope you can bounce back from it as I did. I thought this stuff was over, but it just takes time and denerio's, You'll get both back, as long as you have your health. Good luck.

Back