Anyone willing to build 1/3 Fokker Dr.I for hire?

TPRogers

Hello!...

... and having just picked up a GP/RF6 at a tag sale!, I am having a blast with it's capabilities! Being a WWI enthusiast, I fly those models the most, followed by Golden Age. That said:

I would love to have a 1/3 gas powered Fokker Dr. I and even a 1/3 gas powered Fokker DVIII to fly in RF6. Would anyone be willing to hook me up with either, or both? What would the procedure be, and/or cost? I build my own models!, but have no idea as to HOW this would work in this medium. Please get in touch if you can help or have any advice. THANKS!!!

TPRogers

You will need to Download and install the Free Add On files.

You will then get the DR-1.

Here is the Fokker DVIII

If you Purchase the Airplane Mega Pack, It includes a Fokker DVII Which is a small electric but can be easily scaled up to whatever scale you choose. I have a 100cc powered variant. There is also a Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 in there and a Nieuport 28C.1 too.

Attachments

• DR-1.JPG
    DR-1.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DVII.JPG
    DVII.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Neuport.JPG
    Neuport.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 4
  • SE5.JPG
    SE5.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
csgill75!

THANK YOU for your reply! Interestingly, on the stock RF6, it also included a Mega Pack .. so .. I DO have the ElectriFly Fokker DVII. It also has a 1/3 Albatros DVa gas which just knocks me out! I have a Sopwith Camel ... a Nieuport 28 ... and a Sopwith Pup too. Those are all gas powered and in 1/4 scale. After flying all those, I started looking for the LARGE SCALE gas powered models and found a very nicely rendered Fokker EIII/Eindecker with wing warping!... but have yet to find a Dr. I or bigger DVII in a gas powered version. That said...

I will see what I can do with the link you supplied for the FREE downloads. THANK YOU very much for that! If the Dr. I is too small though, I would still be looking for a 1/3 scale. Is it overly difficult to "custom build" one? Again, I build with wood and fabric!, but have no clue as to how this stuff works! THANKS again!

TPRogers

csgill75!

THANK YOU for your reply! Interestingly, on the stock RF6, it also included a Mega Pack .. so .. I DO have the ElectriFly Fokker DVII. It also has a 1/3 Albatros DVa gas which just knocks me out! I have a Sopwith Camel ... a Nieuport 28 ... and a Sopwith Pup too. Those are all gas powered and in 1/4 scale. After flying all those, I started looking for the LARGE SCALE gas powered models and found a very nicely rendered Fokker EIII/Eindecker with wing warping!... but have yet to find a Dr. I or bigger DVII in a gas powered version. That said...

I will see what I can do with the link you supplied for the FREE downloads. THANK YOU very much for that! If the Dr. I is too small though, I would still be looking for a 1/3 scale. Is it overly difficult to "custom build" one? Again, I build with wood and fabric!, but have no clue as to how this stuff works! THANKS again!

TPRogers

Check out the Swap Pages, what you are looking for may already exist. If not then you can enlarge any of those models to the size you want and adjust the physics to fly correctly.

Check out the Swap Pages, what you are looking for may already exist. If not then you can enlarge any of those models to the size you want and adjust the physics to fly correctly.

Indeed! I did in fact cull through the swap pages, and that's where I found the 1/4 EIII/Eindecker I mentioned! There are plenty of Dr.I's there .. but .. I have to find one that has the suffix EA, and I think the only one like that was a "foamie" ... not that there's anything wrong with that of course. I shall look into scaling up and adjusting the physics, although as mentioned... I have ZERO idea as to the procedure. After flying the 1/3 scale Albatros DVa with the gas engine, well... outside of the takeoff being TOO EASY and not quite accurate, the rest of the flight experience was so much like my giant scale WWI gas powered models that I was blown away. So...

... if I can locate or acquire a Dr. I and/or DVIII like the Albatros DVa, I would be sitting pretty! THANK YOU so much for your replies and help csgill75!

TPRogers

csgill75!

I just wrote a reply, but was shown a window that said "a moderator had to approve my reply" ... ?! How odd! Do you know anything about that? Did I do something wrong? NEWBIE here!, so I want to practice the proper decorum! THANKS!!!

TPRogers

Check this out, it should shed some light on your situation: https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=262014&postcount=9

THANKS adrenoline 60!...

... as that explains it! Funny thing, I moderate an absolutely HUGE Vintage Drum Forum with over 16,000 members worldwide!, so I have an excellent understanding on these things as that's the position that I am in over there! That said, we always let new members post freely, but monitor "behind the scenes" . If anything is out of order, I step in immediately and put it right, or ask the offender to leave if they persist. Every forum has their way/method though, so I understand now! THANKS!!!

TPRogers

adrenoline 60! ...

... and I just wrote a reply to you, and it happened again! You know, I wonder if it's because I "quoted" and then wrote the reply? Regardless, THANK YOU!, as that explains it. Should my 1st reply back to you show eventually, you can have a read! THANKS again!!!

TPRogers

Eventually you will be able to comment normally, new accounts have some restrictions which prevents you from posting some things. This is to prevent spammers from posting their nonsense. Once one of the administrator's see your a real person, you will have full privileges.

csgill75!

THANKS for your input! Makes sense. I want to mention that I am the admin/mod for a HUGE Vintage Drum Forum that has over 16,000 members, and I/we let new members post freely, but watch closely from "behind the scenes". Should a member or a spammer start posting garbage, I handle it quickly. SPAMMER accounts get deleted/banned, and unruly members are warned, etc. Every forum does it differently of course!, so I now understand. THANKS again for your input!

TPRogers

You can play with my AV of the Fokker DVII. I made it with a 6 ft wingspan and its just over 18lbs. It has a gas powerplant and flies beautifully. I didn't create it to any specific scale when i did it months ago, I just wanted a bigger non electric version of the DVII. I don't mind you using it or anyone else for that matter, Just don't post it on the Swap pages.

Attachments

• Fokker DVII 200%_AV.RFX
    55.3 KB · Views: 8
csgill75!

WOW!!!, and THANK YOU very much! I immediately downloaded and imported, and then had to fly it! <smile> It flies very nicely indeed! I have but one question though: I have no idea HOW you even did this by taking a small electric and turning it into a nice flying 1/4 scale gasser, but it's brilliant! My question, if it's even possible, is...

... is there any way I can make it physically LARGER in the simulation? You know, bump up the actual visual "size"of the airframe so it's a little larger? I know there is a "rescale physics" option with different percentages shown. But is it that easy? Something tells me no, it isn't. Or is it? Regardless... THANK YOU again! It flies beautifully!

TPRogers

csgill75!

WOW!!!, and THANK YOU very much! I immediately downloaded and imported, and then had to fly it! <smile> It flies very nicely indeed! I have but one question though: I have no idea HOW you even did this by taking a small electric and turning it into a nice flying 1/4 scale gasser, but it's brilliant! My question, if it's even possible, is...

... is there any way I can make it physically LARGER in the simulation? You know, bump up the actual visual "size"of the airframe so it's a little larger? I know there is a "rescale physics" option with different percentages shown. But is it that easy? Something tells me no, it isn't. Or is it? Regardless... THANK YOU again! It flies beautifully!

TPRogers

Go into the RealFlight Editor and in the Vehicle Tab look for the Vehicle Graphicsl Scale (%) entry and Click on the Value (normally 100) you can change the Value from 25% to 400% so you can make it from one quarter size to four times as large. Just remember that entry ONLY changes what the plane looks like when you're flying, it does not change HOW the plane fly's. That's controlled by the Physcs settings.

As Technoid said, You can easily change the Graphics scale up to 400% with the editor (even larger with a .rfvehicle file edit, for advanced use only) but to get it to fly like a aircraft of that size, you need to match the physics scale and the Graphics scale. Once the Graphics scale and the Physics scale are close to matching, then you need to go in and ajdust the weights of each of the components to match what an aircraft of that size would weigh in real life. If you have a 1/3 scale model of a DR-1 for instance, You could get the graphics and physics scale pretty much within an inch of what your model is, then get each of the component weights exactly what your real model is, give it a similar engine and propeller, you would have a pretty near accurate representation of what your model is. I have some very accurate AV's of the planes and helicopters That I fly, within a ounce of my real birds with motors very close to the correct torque curves and even running them through my radio trainer port, it's almost exactly like how the real aircraft fly.

The only way to rreal way to learn is to do it. Start with Stock aircraft, change them how you want and save an AV. You can't break the Stock aircraft and if your AV isn't any good, Delete it under the Simulation menu and Manage user files.

There should be a class on how to use the Realflight editor, it is what Makes Realflight stand out among the other simulators, You can fine tune any aircraft to fly anyway you want.

Now that you have Realflight 6, You can get the Upgrade to 7.5 for around $50.00 have the latest version of the software and the New Editor. The Editor in RF6.5 is dated now, its still a good editor, but we have moved on with a different, more efficient layout.

Last edited:
technoid/csgill75!

First thank you both for all your help! Sincerely! That said...

csgill75! Ah!... and right you are, except I had to learn the HARD WAY! <smile> I scaled UP your DVII, but didn't know about matching the physics, and for that matter... I don't think I ever really FOUND the graphics scale? In sim 6.5, which is what I currently have, all I could find was "Rescale Physics", and then different percentage options .. so .. I took your DVII and bumped it up. Well... I'll bet you know what happened! It was awful, in that it didn't really look any bigger, but it literally blew apart when I increased throttle for the take off roll... <smile> Goes without saying I DELETED that model as I saved it under a different name so as not to lose the DVII that you so beautifully built. So...

... where exactly is the Graphics Scale located on 6.5? For that matter, based on what you have just written, if I INCREASE the physical size, I'm going to have to increase the physics as well, yes?... otherwise it won't fly? Or fly well? How time consuming is it to do that? Could you possibly bump up the size in a NEW AV? Otherwise... I just started on the RF6.5 on the 24th!, so I'm kinda learning as I go. Flying is NOT the issue! I can fly anything that's available other than rotary as I have been flying RC scale WWI models for close to 25 years! The simulator though .. WOW .. doesn't get any better than having this for the winter months when I can't actually fly the real planes, or for working on specific things with ZERO RISK to the actual airframe/model.

THANK YOU so much for all the input! Let me know on the Graphics Scale and where it might be located? And/or if you can possibly bump up the physical size of the model!

TPRogers

technoid/csgill75!

First thank you both for all your help! Sincerely! That said...

csgill75! Ah!... and right you are, except I had to learn the HARD WAY! <smile> I scaled UP your DVII, but didn't know about matching the physics, and for that matter... I don't think I ever really FOUND the graphics scale? In sim 6.5, which is what I currently have, all I could find was "Rescale Physics", and then different percentage options .. so .. I took your DVII and bumped it up. Well... I'll bet you know what happened! It was awful, in that it didn't really look any bigger, but it literally blew apart when I increased throttle for the take off roll... <smile> Goes without saying I DELETED that model as I saved it under a different name so as not to lose the DVII that you so beautifully built. So...

... where exactly is the Graphics Scale located on 6.5? For that matter, based on what you have just written, if I INCREASE the physical size, I'm going to have to increase the physics as well, yes?... otherwise it won't fly? Or fly well? How time consuming is it to do that? Could you possibly bump up the size in a NEW AV? Otherwise... I just started on the RF6.5 on the 24th!, so I'm kinda learning as I go. Flying is NOT the issue! I can fly anything that's available other than rotary as I have been flying RC scale WWI models for close to 25 years! The simulator though .. WOW .. doesn't get any better than having this for the winter months when I can't actually fly the real planes, or for working on specific things with ZERO RISK to the actual airframe/model.

THANK YOU so much for all the input! Let me know on the Graphics Scale and where it might be located? And/or if you can possibly bump up the physical size of the model!

TPRogers

I imported the AV into my copy of 6.5. On the first page that comes up in the editor, You will see graphics scale. the Number next to it is 200. This is a 200% increase in size for the AV from the original model. It also shows the wing span of the aircraft, the weight and wing loading. Changing the power plant type you can go back to electric, make it a glider or make it a turbine/turboprop powered DVII :D On the second picture, I show where you match the Physics scale to the Graphics scale. I made them both 200 for that AV. Also i opened up the Bottom wing item and in there you will see a weight. It is measured in Ounces. You will need to go through each item and add or remove weight as you see fit or if you have the real bird, as it is on the real aircraft. If you don't see everything in the list of parameters, set your display properties to Advanced under the Options menu at the top.

I could easily do it for you but You won't learn how to do anything :D The more you do, the better off you will be :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 14
  • capture 2.JPG
    capture 2.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I imported the AV into my copy of 6.5. On the first page that comes up in the editor, You will see graphics scale. the Number next to it is 200. This is a 200% increase in size for the AV from the original model. It also shows the wing span of the aircraft, the weight and wing loading. Changing the power plant type you can go back to electric, make it a glider or make it a turbine/turboprop powered DVII :D On the second picture, I show where you match the Physics scale to the Graphics scale. I made them both 200 for that AV. Also i opened up the Bottom wing item and in there you will see a weight. It is measured in Ounces. You will need to go through each item and add or remove weight as you see fit or if you have the real bird, as it is on the real aircraft. If you don't see everything in the list of parameters, set your display properties to Advanced under the Options menu at the top.

I could easily do it for you but You won't learn how to do anything :D The more you do, the better off you will be :)

csgill75!

OMG!!!! THANK YOU!!! I had no idea that it was "hiding" in that sub-menu, for lack of a better word. So... I went into the Graphics and gently bumped it up to 250% from the 200% originally. I figured that was a gentle enough bump where I might not have to change the physics to retain the excellent flying qualities you built in. The physical size is PERFECT right there!, so... all that's left was to fly it. The results...

... EXCELLENT! Didn't fly any differently than what you designed in, but was a better size visually for me! I next said well, let me try even bigger and see what happens to the physics. Indeed. Any larger than 250% and I WILL have to alter the other parameters .. so .. when I have some time I'll play with that! I suspect that there will be more questions as I continue too. Again... THANK YOU very much for your time, experience, and willingness to help!

TPRogers

No problem, everyone here is pretty good about helping others. We have all started where you are in regards to the simulator. It's a lot of fun especially in the winter months when you can't get outside. There's the multi-player option available to you too however most people are on the current version of 7.5. I haven't been on 6.5 multi-player in a while but sometimes someone is on there. Get your flying buddies into the simulator too and you all can fly in RealFlight together over the winter months :) (provided you all have the same version).

It's not a problem bumping the graphics size to whatever you want, but some people think that will also make the plane fly like a larger model but it only makes the plane larger. I used it when I first started to get the planes larger so I could see them better too. Have fun!

Back