Anyone willing to build 1/3 Fokker Dr.I for hire?

csgill75/technoid!

Pretty impressive this all is! I have already started working on my main flying buddy telling him that THIS is even better than inside "dome flying", which I have done numerous times with my MICRO Albatros DVa... but pales next to the simulator in my opinion. Plus, with the GP/RF sim you don't have the worry of some chucklehead flying into you in the dome!... but I digress. I want to mention...

... when I did scale up the DVII even larger but did not alter the other parameters accordingly, the air frame suffered. Well, at least on my 6.5 it did. What happened was the undercarriage started to wobble and buckle!, like it couldn't support the weight?! That was when I went to 275%. I still took off, and it flew fine! .. but .. when I came in for a landing, and softly I might add... the undercarriage just collapsed. So that's why I "thought" maybe one can only increase the visual graphics so far, but then again... are the two that closely related? Was this just a fluke? More experimentation I say! <smile> I have it at 250% now and it is EXCELLENT!

Group flying sounds pretty neat! Course I got my RF6.5 at a tag sale!, and with the transmitter too!, so I got away CHEAP. Speaking of CHEAP, that's what some of my flying buddies are! <smile>

TPRogers

Next Lesson

Easy fix for the landing gear, Lesson #2 :D

Find the gear in the Editor, I have it shown in the attachment as to where to find it. In the list of parameters, towards the bottom of the list, you will find the Strength Multiplier. The higher the number the harder for the landing gear to break will be. You might try 100% but if it still acts up, you can go over 1000% and have it unbreakable. Also add some weight to it, It makes it less susceptible to buckling. Changing the landing gear type will make it rigid.

Yes Multiplayer is fun. I forgot to mention if you have headsets, you can talk to each other while in the session. Fly pattern with other people, Racing and obstacle courses are pretty much what I do in Multiplayer. There is also Combat. Unlimited combat will allow you to arm any aircraft and you can go shoot down your opponent :) There is also streamer cut and paintball too. You have a few aircraft already that are stock in the sim that are armed. one is a Sopwith Pup and there is a P-51 too. Anyways, try editing the landing gear, and when your ready to learn something else, don't hesitate to ask :D

Attachments

• #2.JPG
    #2.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 6
TP, you`ll find a "strength multiplier" for almost all, if not all of components that make up the plane. In this case, I`m going to guess the landing gear is a "child" of the fuse. So go into the editor, click on fuse, you`ll get a sub menu, there you should find your landing gear, click on that/them, you`ll have parameters in the menu that can be adjusted, within it you`ll see your strength multiplier, click on it, just increase it (in your case) to what your happy with. May take a few tries/landings to get to what you like, just don`t forget to "save" your changes

csgill75/uncle twist, et al...

THANK YOU! ALL of you guys are the BEST!!! I will put Lesson #2 into motion and beef up that undercarriage! What's really neat is, a lot of the things you're explaining are NOT shown or found in the manual, and certainly not in the detail explained here. I'll check back and let you know what I did, and the results!

TPRogers

... and that was quick! <smile> I increased the UC/LG strength to a value of 100. SUPERB! But, I do have another query:

When the DVII is sitting at idle waiting for me to taxi it out to take off position... it is kinda "jumping" on it's own, say every 5 seconds. Kind of like a little shake/quiver, but enough where it looks like it's actually coming up off the grass... and then it settles ... but the pattern repeats itself every 5 seconds until I commit and begin to taxi out on the runway. Any thoughts? I only ask because I'm trying to get a bead on all these adjustments and what they affect. The plane flies great!, so... is this just one of those little glitches that can happen from time to time? Is there a way to get rid of it? Just curious mind you, and wondering if you have experienced this before.

TPRogers

... and that was quick! <smile> I increased the UC/LG strength to a value of 100. SUPERB! But, I do have another query:

When the DVII is sitting at idle waiting for me to taxi it out to take off position... it is kinda "jumping" on it's own, say every 5 seconds. Kind of like a little shake/quiver, but enough where it looks like it's actually coming up off the grass... and then it settles ... but the pattern repeats itself every 5 seconds until I commit and begin to taxi out on the runway. Any thoughts? I only ask because I'm trying to get a bead on all these adjustments and what they affect. The plane flies great!, so... is this just one of those little glitches that can happen from time to time? Is there a way to get rid of it? Just curious mind you, and wondering if you have experienced this before.

TPRogers

This happens when the physics don't quite match up with the visual model. Getting everything to match (first lesson) will alleviate most of this issue.

This happens when the physics don't quite match up with the visual model. Getting everything to match (first lesson) will alleviate most of this issue.

Ah!... so based on that, if the DVII was designed at 200%, and I bumped it UP to 250% ... we know that is 1/4 larger in size, so... does that mean I could/should increase the physics percentage by 1/4, which would keep everything .. equal .. to where you had it, only larger. Jeeze, does that even make sense?! <smile> I think you know what I mean though... hopefully! :confused: I have been flying it though... a lot! :D

TPRogers

Ah!... so based on that, if the DVII was designed at 200%, and I bumped it UP to 250% ... we know that is 1/4 larger in size, so... does that mean I could/should increase the physics percentage by 1/4, which would keep everything .. equal .. to where you had it, only larger. Jeeze, does that even make sense?! <smile> I think you know what I mean though... hopefully! :confused: I have been flying it though... a lot! :D

TPRogers
You can give that a shot, also, above the "strength modifier' you`ll find "stiffness" and "landing gear type", (see csgill`s pic. above) those are also two parameters to play with, choosing a non springy gear will almost always get rid of the bouncing, but you`ll lose the shock absorbing effect upon landing (more likely to bounce upon touchdown).
I have not played with the stiffness value in awhile, so your on your own there, but If I recall, when you click on any given parameter, you`ll get the effects at the bottom of the menu.

More WWI Aircraft

Here's a couple more that might peak your fancy

Gotha G.IV
gothag-iv7114_thumb.jpg

Bristol M1
1_aPW_thumb.jpg

Bristol F.2b
screenshot1354478246_rGw_thumb.jpg

Royal Airforce Factory F.E.2b
screenshot1345414430_9y0_thumb.jpg

Vickers COW Gunfighter
vickers%20cow%20gun%20fighter%20type%20161%20-%20gunfighter_fhU_thumb.jpg

There's probably a couple more that I am missing, but with that list i gave you plus what is already in the sim, you can probably have a pretty active hanger over the winter months.

Last edited:
Here's a couple more that might peak your fancy

There's probably a couple more that I am missing, but with that list i gave you plus what is already in the sim, you can probably have a pretty active hanger over the winter months.

csgill75!

Indeed! :D I typically model/fly single seat WWI scouts, and predominantly German .. but .. I do enjoy flying the British and French offerings as well. I don't have any of those in my actual RC model hanger though, as everything I have is German! With your help/suggestions, I currently have these giant scale gas planes in my RF6.5 sim hanger:

1/3 Albatros DVa
1/3 Fokker Dr.I
1/3 Fokker DVIII ( graphics need some tweaking, but it flies very well! )
1/4 Airco DH2
1/4 Fokker EIII/Eindecker
1/4 Fokker DVII
1/4 Sopwith Camel

Now, with this very nice list of additions!, I will immediately add the Bristol M1 and the RAF F.E.2B! I will also add the Bristol F.2B .. because .. I actually had a 1/5 scale RC model of this plane. I picked it up at a swap meet!, and had it for a few years before selling it. I'll attach a couple pics as you might get a kick out of seeing the model. I am very curious to see how the sim F2B fly's compared to the actual model! THANKS for putting all those up!

TPRogers

Attachments

• BrisF2B_1 (2).jpg
    BrisF2B_1 (2).jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BrisF2B_2.jpg
    BrisF2B_2.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 13
That's a great looking model. I've flown/owned countless models but I've never had a WWI aircraft. The nearest I've came was a pt-17 stearman for about a year. I have seen some at the field and the attention to detail was crazy. At the time I wouldn't have had the patience to build one. I like my planes to be quick and nimble right now. Maybe in a few years I might decide to slow down a bit :)

Hey TP, was just curious, if you`re aware that you have different Color schemes options as well on various planes (almost all) available to you in the sim. I`m sure you are, just checking.

csgill75/uncle twist!

csgill75!: GLAD you liked the actual 1/5 scale model, and truth be told, the main reason I posted up a couple pics was to show how EXACT the sim F2B was to it! But here's the really neat part... the flying ...

... was EXACTLY the same! The guy that built this model for the RF sim was absolutely on the money with this one. This particular model would NOT BE most guy's cup of tea, simply because of what you mentioned... it's fly's way too slow for most, and control inputs have to be gentle/smooth. He nailed the power to weight ratio too, as the take off is extremely SCALE! All that said... I prefer the WWI single seat scouts, thus they can be tossed around at will, as were the full scale planes, and in the hands of an experienced pilot... :D The Fokker's especially, are great at doing high speed flat turns, or "lazy" knife edges in that they will roll to 1:00 and 7:00, and with full rudder deflection, hold that attitude all the way down the runway, which is what I like to do with them! Not as pretty as doing it with say an Extra 300... but actually more of a challenge! All of that said, I agree with you 100%! I also enjoy "quick and nimble", and those are just the ticket when I need a break from the WWI stuff... but I always return! ;)

uncle twist!: I have seen that there are different color combinations/varients available for some of these models, but not all I guess? Also, now that I have a 1/3 Fokker Dr.I for example... can I go to the swap pages and download an AV?, or... would I have to have the original plane the guy with the AV designed to be able to use the AV?

Can't THANK YOU guys enough for all the information and willingness to share! This place is GREAT!

TPRogers

On the page that the AV is downloaded from, is a line that shows the required aircraft that you need for the AV to work. If it's a EA (entire aircraft) it will be a link that takes you to the page to download the base aircraft. It may tell you that you need an aircraft from an expansion pack or add on and that's where you go for the base. If it's based on the DR-1 from the add-ons then you can use any of the AV's for that.

TP, yes you`ll need the original aircraft (AKA ,EA) be it a stock RF plane or one that was a modeled for RF by a RF user, to use any AV that has been posted on the swap pages. If your Fokker has an "EA" at the end of its title, It was built by a RF user/modeler, and you already have the original, you can download any AV (aircraft variant) that is associated with THAT model, The same rules apply to color schemes as well. The same rules apply as well to stock RF aircraft, but you won`t find an EA in there title.
I`ve done some CS`s and AV`s for WWI aircraft and created one model for RF that you might like. If you click on my name "uncle twist" (upper left) in this post you will get a menu which will allow you to see all of them under the "view files" title. (bottom of menu), just click on any file that might interest you and it will open (as, I`m sure you know) to get details and more pics. of the CS/AV/EA

Last edited:
THANKS csgill75 and uncle twist! I was able to import a few more planes that hold great interest for me, and even an AV! I'm in a real nice spot now with a hanger FULL of Giant Scale WWI models. I have a couple favorites of course!, but it's neat to be able to fly ALL of these, and especially so in the dreaded/dreary winter months up here in New England. It's been great though, much THANKS!!!

TPRogers

THANKS csgill75 and uncle twist! I was able to import a few more planes that hold great interest for me, and even an AV! I'm in a real nice spot now with a hanger FULL of Giant Scale WWI models. I have a couple favorites of course!, but it's neat to be able to fly ALL of these, and especially so in the dreaded/dreary winter months up here in New England. It's been great though, much THANKS!!!

TPRogers
Your welcome TP, any more questions, just ask, we`ll do the best we can to help. ;), I have to ask, where in N.E. do you live.?, I have a sister in law that lives in Conn. Also, This time of year, I don`t envy you guys, must be tough up there. I`d die if I lived in that environment during the winter. Must be really nice in the summer and fall though to make it worth staying, looks real beautiful there, I`ll have to admit.. ;)

Your welcome TP, any more questions, just ask, we`ll do the best we can to help. ;), I have to ask, where in N.E. do you live.?, I have a sister in law that lives in Conn. Also, This time of year, I don`t envy you guys, must be tough up there. I`d die if I lived in that environment during the winter. Must be really nice in the summer and fall though to make it worth staying, looks real beautiful there, I`ll have to admit.. ;)

I'm in CT ... up in the northern part. I could drive into MA in about 10 minutes actually! So yeah, UGH... gets cold/windy. Not a fan, and never have been .. but .. one gets their life started, then kids, then, well... you know! We are at the point now though where we are talking about heading SOUTH, and for a myriad of reasons, not just the weather!

TPRogers

just looked up her town on facebook, she lives in Colebrook, works in Norfolk.

Ah! I have played the Infinity Music Hall a couple times which is right on Main Street in Norfolk, CT ... so I know where that is! Beautiful little CT town!, at least until winter that is, then it gets NASTY as it's located up in the northwest corner of the state. ALL the bad weather usually comes in from the west, and right into Norfolk! Very nice area for 6 months out of the year though! :D

TPRogers

Back