Are there a How-To posted on how to create an Airport for RealFlight 9 ?

jerryn

I would like to create an airfield resembling my AMA registered club's field. Is there a How-To posted somewhere ?
I have a 4k drone that can a decent photo of the field. I can reuse the tables, benches, and windsock used in other Airport
designs. I'm not sure how to create the cornfield we need to clear when landing during the months of August - November.
Any help would be appreciated.

Here's one I posted for my main flying field. Feel free to use whatever is applicable. See the notes about requirements. I'm sure will work just fine in ver 9. Find a suitable place in the 3D world, then started placing objects. Found a location later that would have been more realistic (no hills in the distance). Corn has to be "planted" via lots of cut-n-paste. There are small clumps available to speed up the "planting", but they are not "collidable", so had to place rows of individual stalks around the edges. For the real field, the corn area is much larger than the one shown....but it already takes a pretty long time to load.....
I used Google Maps to get the dimensions/relative locations.

St. Paul Model Radio Control

Here's one I posted for my main flying field. Feel free to use whatever is applicable. See the notes about requirements. I'm sure will work just fine in ver 9. Find a suitable place in the 3D world, then started placing objects. Found a location later that would have been more realistic (no hills in the distance). Corn has to be "planted" via lots of cut-n-paste. There are small clumps available to speed up the "planting", but they are not "collidable", so had to place rows of individual stalks around the edges. For the real field, the corn area is much larger than the one shown....but it already takes a pretty long time to load.....
I used Google Maps to get the dimensions/relative locations.

St. Paul Model Radio Control
That looks nice, can you share how you did it? I would like to make one of my current field where i fly but have no clue how to even start to make it.

Well, I can't write a whole tutorial. But for the basics:
Find a 3D airport you like in RF - choose it mostly for the terrain and the views in the distance (hills, etc.). Photofields are a whole different matter, see the link posted above for those. Skip for now, and consider for later. As you get comfortable, you can figure out how to travel around the 3D world in the editor to find a new location, if you want.
Under Environment, select Create New Airport. It gives you a broad general view, and 4 windows.
Start with "Folder Listing" . Under objects is a "Pilot Spawn" - where you will be standing. Click on it, and note that in the "Properties Windows" details about it are listed.
The third window is the view from the Pilot Spawn location. I usually close it, finding it not that useful.
The fourth window is the Object Palette. Click through the listings, and you can find a ton of items to use. Click on one, and then hit the "Add" button, and it is added to your folder list, and can be seen on screen.
You can then adjust the properties as needed. Usually size and scale are all you really need to play with to start.
Note in the big main window, at the top are view modes and zoom functions. These can help a lot in visualizing what you want to put where. While in these modes, you can grab, drag, and drop objects to place them where you want.
Make sure to download and install the free add-ons - they also provide many, many more objects to use.
From there, it is a matter of playing and creating a few "junk" airports to get a sense of how it works, and exploring the various menus to get a sense of the other options/controls.
For many objects, they may have a huge number of parameters - most of which you never need to touch.
Download other airports, and view them in the editor, to get a sense of how others did things.

Last edited:
OP, I guess that it is just asking too much to use the search engine. 9 pages of thread on the subject. Yes, It should have been a sticky, a long time ago.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/designing-airports-tips-and-tricks.27839/

Just an active member, not well known. I guess 4,100 messages does not qualify for their formula.

While there is very good stuff in that thread that applies to all, it mostly deals with photofields. Which may be a little more advanced than someone who just wants to begin may want to start with.

Re-read the original post. He wants a photo field of his field.
The biggest thing is that a drone will not do great for the panorama. The panorama needs to be shot from the pilot's station at eye level.

T
Re-read the original post. He wants a photo field of his field.
The biggest thing is that a drone will not do great for the panorama. The panorama needs to be shot from the pilot's station at eye level.
Yep, the OP was thinking about a photofield. Epoweredrc also asked about the one I made, which was in the 3D space, so the topic branched.

Back