AT-28D-5

Just a thought. I've definitely never put rivets on a real plane, but I bet they try to make them as invisible as possible, with the end result being that they are visible but only slightly. What do y'all think?
Yeah I normally like them fairly light but on this white plane they tended to go away unless the angle was just right so I darkened them.

I took some time off from the build thread but while I was gone I did some work on the 28D. I went back and added rivets to the canopy which made me remap and move a few things again, so there's more changes to the color scheme TGA file. You'll notice I used a solid line on the two vertical bars on the canopy and I did that because those vertical bars causes stretching on the rivets that looked bad and the stripes across the top fixed that and looks pretty good I think. Here's a picture for you.

AT-28D-5 Nomad 44.jpg

Do the vert. lines line up with where the canopies open (I`m guessing they do) that being said, shouldn`t they go all the down to the bottom of the canopy rail.

Last edited:
Do the vert. lines line up with where the canopies open (I`m guessing they do) that being said, shouldn`t they go all the down to the bottom of the canopy rail.
Yes they line up with the canopy edges and at first I had them going down all the way. But all the way is to the bottom of the extension area below the canopy frame where the second set of rivets stop. What I didn't like was there's a 1 pixel wide stripe on "each" side of each canopy frame edge BUT on the first canopy vertical bar the canopy extension area only goes to the edge of the first part of the canopy that opens so the line going to the bottom of the canopy extension is only "half" as wide as it is going above that extension so the first line is narrower for that area but the second line is full width which made it look funny. (to me at least) So I just stopped it at the bottom of the canopy glass so the stripe width didn't change. Ha that's probably clear as mud. But in the end I thought it looked better the way I did it.

Boy my interest level is dropping so I might take a little time off. With so much going on these days it's hard to keep interested in modeling. What a mess our world is in.

Got a question for you guys. I'm ready to release the T-28B version but which is the better name. It has a 100 inch wingspan which is also 20%.

1. T-28B Trojan 20%

2. T-28B Trojan 100

Also to keep both of the new planes together in the Realflight menu I was thinking of dropping the "A" from the AT-28D-5 and just calling it T-28D Nomad since there were so many variants of the "D" model and T-28D was one of them.

1. T-28D Nomad 20%

2. T-28D Nomad 100

I'm wondering if putting the darker contrast in the panel lines and rivets is the right thing to do so I'd like a little help with this decision. Here's a picture and a new beta for the T-28B Trojan 20% if you'd like to see the panel lines and rivets without any contrast. So for this version the "only" thing being used is the "normal" map which indents the panel lines and rivets but I removed the darker contrast lines I had in the normal color scheme to make them darker. So now you have to look to see them in the editor and pretty much won't see them when the plane is on the field. So if you'd like to help grab the new beta and let me know if you like the panel lines and rivets better this way. I've removed the ordnance so now it looks like a standard T-28.

T-28B Trojan 20% 01.jpg

Attachments

• T-28B Trojan 20%_EA.RFX
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
I`ve often noticed that with a n_.tga file/bump map, that the lines of a bump map stand out way more in a colored area than a white area, you might want to try/consider just coloring lines/rivets in the white area with REAL LIGHT gray, say just enough to be noticeable on the white, you`ll probably need/want to experiment a little, looking at the pic. in post #265 (for example) I`d say IMHO that the black is to dark for those lines/rivets, and that the coloring in the orange area is completely unnecessary compared to the pic. above, which I think looks just fine without the additional coloring in the orange area.

I`ve often noticed that with a n_.tga file/bump map, that the lines of a bump map stand out way more in a colored area than a white area, you might want to try/consider just coloring lines/rivets in the white area with REAL LIGHT gray, say just enough to be noticeable on the white, you`ll probably need/want to experiment a little, looking at the pic. in post #265 (for example) I`d say IMHO that the black is to dark for those lines/rivets, and that the coloring in the orange area is completely unnecessary compared to the pic. above, which I think looks just fine without the additional coloring in the orange area.
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't really like bump mapped rivets but then again I don't really like any of the rivets I've ever made, bump mapped or not. But I agree it would be better to color the rivets depending on the color of the part they're on. I noticed that's how you did it in your latest CS and it looks great. I don't know what I'll end up doing at this point but I'm pretty sure I'm going to release the plane without "any" panel lines and rivets because that's the way I like it the best (a simple rc guy here). But I plan to release a CS with panel lines and rivets of some sort so thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I just finished reworking the panel lines and rivets and here's what I did.

1. I started with a set of black panel lines and rivets.
2. I removed all the panel lines and rivets "except" in the white areas.
3. I set the opacity of the panel lines and rivets to 8%.

Here's two pictures from the RF editor.

T-28B Trojan 20% 03.jpgT-28B Trojan 20% 04.jpg

Well I did one more thing to the T-28B and now it should be ready to release. Back when I remapped all the parts that changed I forgot to remap the landing gear which I had made some changes to but it was close enough I couldn't tell it until I decided to paint the landing gear white like the real plane with that color scheme has. BUT I needed to paint the plunger the normal metal color but I hadn't remapped the landing gear since I changed it so I did that so I could paint the gear the way I wanted to. So I'm finally finished with the T-28B but I'll have to make this change to the T-28D before I release it too. But at least the normal T-28B is ready to go now.

Back