!!!

Attachments

• ScreenShot1157853301.jpg
    ScreenShot1157853301.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 136
  • ScreenShot1157853308.jpg
    ScreenShot1157853308.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 132
Actually i thought i figured it out :confused: But i opened the scheme in photoshop and it's still got black paint and flames?? But in realflight it shows up like the pics above? If anyone knows whats happening please let me know.

"Chrome" is nothing more than a solid color with the specular reflection settings turned way up.

It's not really very interesting until you add other markings to get a metallic effect, usefull for warbirds and the like.

See the Pogo, etc. for an example of this...

Judicious usage can produce a GREAT scheme, and make a plane look like, say an F-104 in it's silver livery.

opjose said:
"Chrome" is nothing more than a solid color with the specular reflection settings turned way up.

It's not really very interesting until you add other markings to get a metallic effect, usefull for warbirds and the like.

See the Pogo, etc. for an example of this...

Judicious usage can produce a GREAT scheme, and make a plane look like, say an F-104 in it's silver livery.
Can you explain why the scheme seems to be turned "inside out" and also when i turn the graphics settings down to low in g3 the origanal scheme comes back??

"Chrome" is an effect generated by the video card.

The video card itself is told that "everything on this surface is to be reflective"... e.g. specular reflections.

When you turn down the graphics settings or change the reflectivity value in the .colorscheme file, the actual colorscheme, which is the .TGA file itself, is permitted to be seen.

Thus to create a metal effect, you would place all of the markings, logos, rivets, etc. correctly mapped within a .tga file, then turn up the reflectivity until you could still see the .tga file colorscheme, but the surface looks "reflective" or metalic.

Because of the way we perceive metals to be visually, this works best if reflectivity is NOT turned up all the way (which results in the mirror like finish you are calling chrome), but rather just enough to put a "sheen" on the surface.

Then you can "roughen up" the desired metallic areas using a blend or mask of lighter and darker colors to produce a texture.

The end result will appear to be brushed steel, etc. dependant upon the "base" color.

I.E. choose a reddish area, and it looks like copper. etc.

---

Inversion of logos, etc. is dependant upon how the mappings were done with the original model.

In some cases G3/3DStudio will "lay" an area onto a surface, resulting in what you are expecting, however to save having to reload portions of a texture, that same area can be logically "projected through" the material, resulting in the inversion or reversal of text, etc.

Usually the latter happens when one area of say the .tga file is mapped onto more than one surface.

Ideally the original model should be fixed to prohibit this, or you merely avoid text or other things that can be perceived as reversed in those areas.

Metalic would be nice

opjose said:
"

When you turn down the graphics settings or change the reflectivity value in the .colorscheme file, the actual colorscheme, which is the .TGA file itself, is permitted to be seen.

Thus to create a metal effect, you would place all of the markings, logos, rivets, etc. correctly mapped within a .tga file, then turn up the reflectivity until you could still see the .tga file colorscheme, but the surface looks "reflective" or metalic.
"

How do you "turn down the graphics settings" or "turn up the reflectivity" to get a metalic look? I have PSP 9.

Mike

To bad that you are not running 4.5 doing "chrome" with details intact is so much easier now with the use of the _s.tga file
even if opjose(or some one else) tell's you how to readjust the settings to give you the effect as in the OP'ers example
look at the example again ...
it is not really very realistic looking ....
notice even the pilot is rendered a solid "chrome" :eek:
just my 2 cents

I am running 4.5 actually. I may have referenced 3.5 before as that is the version used to create the 540 Edge model that exists that we might use to create the SuperXtra from (rather than from scratch).

So I have 4.5 and am interested in figuring out the best way to add a shinny luster to portions of a RF 4.5 model.

Can you provide some guidance, or reference it, to create that file you mentioned?

I only know how to use PSP 9.0, I've never created any of the other files to create an RF 4.5 model. I have Blender, but I am very much a beginner with that, so making changes to mesh and perhaps materials is beyond me at this point.

Is there a way to use alpha channnels in PSP 9.0 to add the shine? I have done that with other simulations (rFactor).

Thanks for the feedback,

Mike

MikeVictor said:
I am running 4.5 actually.
So I have 4.5 and am interested in figuring out the best way to add a shinny luster to portions of a RF 4.5 model.
Mike
Great!...
I use photoshop CS3
which does allow use of alfa channels on the _s.tga and "normals map" for the _n.tga
so does "Gimp”I believe (which is free by the way)
in 4.5 when you "save As" A Color Scheme most "stock" aircraft will generate all three files automaticly... (or there are ways to gen. one if it does not)
the normal or "Classic" .tga ......
the _s.tga...
and the _n.tga
and should show up in photoshop when you search for the file in the C.S folder
Take a look here for some basic info on _s.tga and _n.tga files...

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23241
( and there is links in here for more info on them too)

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks, that looks like what I need, I'll print out the thread and give it a try this week.

By the way, I've noticed the models you have made...very nice work.

Mike

I got 2 files, not three...

I went into RF 4.5, selected the 540 Edge model and selected "Save color scheme as" under the Aircraft tab and these are the two files that were created ,see attached. Did not see the 3 files anywhere, did a search using the file name I created for them.

This is not a "stock" model, it was created from scratch by inky00 and I created a color scheme for it.

You mentioned a way to generate the three .tga files, how would I do that please?

However, I selected a model that came with 4.5 and the three .tga files were created, so the "stock" models work.

I will be wanting to do this with a 'non stock' model. please advise what I need to do.

Thanks again,

Mike

Attachments

• My tga files.JPG
    My tga files.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
To "Create" a _s.tga
Open the "Classic" .tga in your photo editor and "save as" a _s.tga
Creating a _n.tga is a little more tricky

LOL....I just did it by
"stealing" A _n.tga from a stock aircraft that generated one on it's own
and then just "cloned" a smooth area all over it to Create a "blank" to "Save as" a _n.tga
to use with a differant CS :D probably are better ways but it worked for me

Last edited:
n-.tga

OK, I think I have figured out how to use the s_.tga and .tga, my understanding is that the n_.tga is for adding texture that is not covered up by the graphics in the other tga files, like seems, rivots and such. It can add 3 dimensional looking artifacts to the surface of the model...do I have that right?

Is it true that to make the cockpit canopy transparent, that I can do that with the alpha channel in the .tga file, or is that the alpha in the n_.tga file?

If I wanted the surface to look like brushed steel, then I would add a brushed looking graphic in the n_.tga?

Making progress,

Mike

MikeVictor said:
OK, I think I have figured out how to use the s_.tga and .tga, my understanding is that the n_.tga is for adding texture that is not covered up by the graphics in the other tga files, like seems, rivots and such. It can add 3 dimensional looking artifacts to the surface of the model...do I have that right?
YES :D

MikeVictor said:
Is it true that to make the cockpit canopy transparent, that I can do that with the alpha channel in the .tga file, or is that the alpha in the n_.tga file?
I have only changed the "tint"(color) of a canopy on the .tga file
I have never tried to change "transparancy"
I must defer to someone else as to how to do that
but I don't think It would be done on the _n.tga
( yes I believe it is on the "alfa" Channel)
MikeVictor said:
If I wanted the surface to look like brushed steel, then I would add a brushed looking graphic in the n_.tga?
YES :D but use only 2-4 pixels!
but sometimes for it to look right\more realistic you still need to add the right "color to to "classic ".tga (even if it is only a color that is semi "transparent"(like a layer at 50% vis.)

Last edited:
Transparency

regarding the transparency of canopy's, Phrank posted the following quote earlier. I'm sure you have read this, but note what he says about the alpha channel in the .tga file:

"* Classic Colorscheme .TGA (Has 2 parameters that can be manipulated)
RGB Layer - Aircraft Color
ALPHA Layer - Transparency effects (if supported by the model) for canopies, etc...

* _s.TGA - Specular effects (Has 2 parameters than can be manipulated)
RGB Layer - Shade of grayscale determines the glossiness of the surface
ALPHA Layer - Shade of grayscale determines the specularity of the surface

* _n.TGA - This is the Normals maps as explained by opjose.

There you go, 5 potential levels of detail available at your leisure."

So, If I wanted a transparent and tinted canopy on the SuperXtra, I would tint the area in the RGB layer and create a light gray area over it in the alpha channel for the .tga file.... I think.

Thanks for confirming my understanding, it seems pretty straightforward to me now.

Except I am looking to create a mirror like chrome finish for highlights mostly. I opened up a colorscheme file using notepad and I noticed specular/reflection settings there. I wonder what would happen if I increased them?

Mike

Mike

MikeVictor said:
regarding the transparency of canopy's, Phrank posted the following quote earlier. I'm sure you have read this, but note what he says about the alpha channel in the .tga file:

"* Classic Colorscheme .TGA (Has 2 parameters that can be manipulated)
RGB Layer - Aircraft Color
ALPHA Layer - Transparency effects (if supported by the model) for canopies, etc...
Well phrank does now what he is talking about
so I'd say YES on the alfa channel on the "classic CS .tga!!
but notice he says "IF it is supported by the model" (not all canopys are "changible")
MikeVictor said:
So, If I wanted a transparent and tinted canopy on the SuperXtra, I would tint the area in the RGB layer and create a light gray area over it in the alpha channel for the .tga file.... I think
Thats what it sounds like to me!
is that right Phrank??

MikeVictor said:
Except I am looking to create a mirror like chrome finish for highlights mostly. I opened up a colorscheme file using notepad and I noticed specular/reflection settings there. I wonder what would happen if I increased them?
I think you would get the same result as the OP( solid Chrome every where!!!)

Last edited:
Back