Awesome Chrome Job!!!!

Wondering about colorscheme files

I just installed GIMP.

I can see a Nvidia plugin for Normal files/filtering under my Effects menu item in PSP9. Don't know how to use it yet, but I think that will create a "normal" layer that I can export as a n_.tga file, I think. Will be looking into that shortly.

The mirror like chrome finish is an intriguing problem. There are applications for it that would look really good on models.

I am wondering if somehow a color scheme file could be created that would only effect the n_.tga file and if a mask could be used in the n_.tga file to limit it to only those areas desired.

I wonder if a global colorscheme file could have subsections that would appy to different .tga files....

Clueless and curious,

Mike

MikeVictor said:
I am wondering if somehow a color scheme file could be created that would only effect the n_.tga file and if a mask could be used in the n_.tga file to limit it to only those areas desired.
As I under stand the _n.tga
the areas that are just "blue" are areas that don't have any texture or "detail"(flat) in them
and the only areas that are effected are where you add "information" for lack of a better term
so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by
"limit it to only those areas desired." ?

Just thinking out of the box

Don't know, but I was thinking to use a mask to apply chrome "texture" only to areas I would want it to be in the n_.tga.

I assume layers in PSP can be used to create masks to help focus where one wants textures to be applied before saving the file as a N_.tga file.

Not sure if "mirror like chrome" can be somehow created as a texture for use in an n_.tga file...

Also don't know yet if there is a Mirror like material that could be applied in the .tga file...

I am brainstorming, don't know what is possible..yet.

I have used a white alpha and whie RGB layer in the s_.tga, so I guess it doesn't get any more mirror like than that using that file.. How about a clear alpha and RGB layer in the s_.tga??
Mike

Last edited:
MikeVictor said:
Don't know, but I was thinking to use a mask to apply chrome "texture" only to areas I would want it to be in the n_.tga.
well keep in mind that a "mirror" is a smooth surface
mirror like chrome is a property of Specularity \refletivity\ glossiness that is handled by the_.s.tga
actually if you add "texture to were you want it to be shiney on to the _n.tga it would lose "shineyness" as the light would be rendered as "diiffused"
MikeVictor said:
Also don't know yet if there is a Mirror like material that could be applied in the .tga file...
I am brainstorming, don't know what is possible..yet.

any medium to light shade of gray on the "classic" .tga will render a "silver" color when you add the Reflectivity value to the _s.tga's alfa layer
if you have a yellow shade of gray on the classic .tga it will look like gold
if it's a red shade of gray it will look like copper.... and so on
MikeVictor said:
I assume layers in PSP can be used to create masks to help focus where one wants textures to be applied before saving the file as a N_.tga file.
yes a layer mask will isolate the texture
look at the _n.tga on my "embossed shark ....P-51
the embossed eyes gills and mouth were a seperate layer I applied to the _n.tga !(could not uplad the embossed layer as i says it is to big???
but it was made from the layer shown)

Attachments

• ScreenShot738.jpg
    ScreenShot738.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ScreenShot739.jpg
    ScreenShot739.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Keep in mind that you only need to create a _s.tga in order to create your chrome effect.
A _n.tga file would only be required if you want to give the plane a foamy texture or any other type of 3D effect.

IMO... It would be safe to leave out that part of the colorscheme unless you are going for completeness. :p

Merci

I did an experiement with the n_.tga file. there are chrome scripts for GIMP. tried one, don't think it did any better than just using the s_.tga file.

But so you know, there is a "texture" for GIMP to create chrome. I will work on the n_.tga file; more later on, for now as you suggest, I think the s_.tga is sufficient to get a very nice metalic finish.

I'll have an updated version of my 540 Edge with metalic and painted surfaces combined, in a while.

preciate the feedback, best way to learn this stuff. Hope to collaborate with you folks at some point on some project.

Mike

Back