B-47 Stratojet and B-58 hustler

Cowboy

these are 2 of the coolest bombers in my opinion, just had to model them. Thanks Nemo for the help with the landing gear pics for the 58 and for the great pilot you made.

Attachments

• B-47.jpg
    B-47.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 51
  • B-47 Cockpit.jpg
    B-47 Cockpit.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 46
  • B-58.jpg
    B-58.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 73
  • B-58 Cockpit.jpg
    B-58 Cockpit.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Nice lookin bombers!
Thanks to people like you, I don't ever get bored of realflight! Haha!
Keep the good work up! :)

Cowboy you sure make great aircraft, thanks for putting them on the swaps. I just can't wait until you put the B-47 on the swaps, I worked on the B-47 in the Air Force during the mid 50's she sure was a great plane.
Ron W.

I got back to work on the B-58 and now have a flyable plane. Will be working on texture mapping for it this weekend and Junkyboy999 and specifically requested to do the CS for this one. I've put modeling on hold so that I can finish up a couple that are already done and get them into RF so I don't have to worry about them anymore. I'm also going to be doing the pivot points and texture mapping for the B-47 Styratojet this weekend

Attachments

• ScreenShot1206689620.jpg
    ScreenShot1206689620.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 84
  • ScreenShot1206727464.jpg
    ScreenShot1206727464.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Wow, you suprised me! I didn't think you were making one. Time for some online, cold war fun. I'm making a texture for one for FSX with some nose art I made.

Attachments

• Ol' reliable.jpg
    Ol' reliable.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 32
With the KC-97 I'm planning on having the boom lower on it once into RF. than anybody feeling gutsy can try to pull a plane up to it. We'll see if anybogy has the nerve :)

These 2 bombers to this point have been very fun to work on yet aggrivating as well. I'm still trying to think of a final way to work the main gear on the B-58 so I decided to take a break from it and do a little more on the B-47. These are both a couple of descent sized bombers. With any luck will be done in a week or 2

Attachments

• ScreenShot1206776572.jpg
    ScreenShot1206776572.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 63
Looking great there Cowboy!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Attachments

• ScreenShot1206727265.jpg
    ScreenShot1206727265.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 40
I sense a large rash of finished planes hitting the swaps in the not so distant future.....Cowboy has the tools and equipment now.....and is on a mission to deplete his built up stash of models!! Whoo Hooo!!

These two look great so far! As a side question to Cowboy...do you find the setting up and finishing of the models fun, interesting and a completely new challenge......in addition to just creating the 3D model?!! It will open a whole new world for you. Good Luck

pplace said:
These two look great so far! As a side question to Cowboy...do you find the setting up and finishing of the models fun, interesting and a completely new challenge......in addition to just creating the 3D model?!! It will open a whole new world for you. Good Luck
Find it fun? Right up until I get to the gear doors it's great. I've to this point found it all pretty simple work, but it's extremely time consuming and texture mapping, well, that just sucks! haha...I do however find it much more rewarding to be able to take a model from start to finish and then see it in the sim. I'm still very thankful to all the other modelers that have helped me finish planes, answer questions and most of contribute thier hard work and great planes (no pun intended) to the swaps pages

Cowboy said:
What do you mean it felt like a fighter?
I watched a TV show, and the pilots were saying it was like a fighter because it was very nimble, and it had restrictors on the throttle to keep you from putting the balls to the wall.

The pilots that flew it have said.

B-47 In Service pilot review

* When B-47s began to be delivered to the Air Force, most crews were excited about getting their hands on the hot new bomber. The thing was so fast that in the early days, the B-47 set records everywhere it flew without even trying. The aircraft handled well and comfortably in flight, with a fighter-like light touch to the controls. The big bubble canopy also enhanced the fighter-like feel of the big aircraft, though it could make the cockpit a "hotbox" on sunny days, while the navigator in the nose froze.
However, it took the Air Force until 1953 to turn the B-47 into an operational aircraft. The big aircraft was sluggish on takeoff and too fast on landings, a very unpleasant combination of circumstances. Furthermore, if the pilot put the machine down at the wrong angle on the bicycle landing gear, the aircraft would "porpoise", bouncing fore-and-aft. If he didn't lift off for another go-round, the instability would quickly cause the bomber to skid onto one wing and cartwheel to its destruction.

Improved training led to a good safety record, and few crews felt the aircraft was inherently unsafe or too demanding, but apparently there were air crews who had little affection for or were even afraid of the B-47. Crew workload was also high, with only three crew members to keep the B-47 flying right. The B-52, in contrast, generally had six crew members, with much less cramped accommodations.

The B-47's reliability and serviceability were also regarded as good. The only major problem was that the electronics systems were not very reliable, unsurprising given the technology available at the time. Much work was done to improve the reliability of the electronics systems, but they remained something of a maintenance headache all through the B-47's operational life.

As far as your plane you are making. Very nice looking project !

Well, once I can figure out this program for texture mapping all over again I should be able to get something done here. I had downloaded a free trial of it months ago, but it was only for 14 days and now I've just got to remember how to use it..HAHA!

Back