B-47 Stratojet and B-58 hustler

Yes, the XB-35 is a plane that I've already started a long time ago. Just have so much on my plate between planes and work that it hasn't been touched in a couple months. I'll get around to finishing it after I get some of the other planes that are closer to being finished done and get my work load calmed down a bit

My uncle and grandfather both worked on the B-58 project. My uncle was at one of the first test flights. A high ranking officer tested in and came down and his first words were(pardon the language) "God damn that is fast!" Unfortunately it was way too far ahead of it's time. It was too costly and no real need for it in the end. If it had been developed 5 years later, it would have worked out wonderfully.

Zelatio said:
My uncle and grandfather both worked on the B-58 project. My uncle was at one of the first test flights. A high ranking officer tested in and came down and his first words were(pardon the language) "God damn that is fast!" Unfortunately it was way too far ahead of it's time. It was too costly and no real need for it in the end. If it had been developed 5 years later, it would have worked out wonderfully.
Wow i never knew that, thanks for sharing! :)
It's sad hearing about these great planes going to waste.

Actually, I have hanging in my room a picture that was once classified of the B-58. It was still in the testing phases, and it was the first mid-air refueling of a B-58. It is quite an awesome picture. I will scan it and upload it when I have the time.

Zelatio said:
Actually, I have hanging in my room a picture that was once classified of the B-58. It was still in the testing phases, and it was the first mid-air refueling of a B-58. It is quite an awesome picture. I will scan it and upload it when I have the time.
That would be awesome to see!

Zelatio said:
Wow that's cool!

Here it is. I popped it out of the frame and found a little suprise on the back of the photo. Official markings with a number on the photo. I wish the date had been filled out. That would have been even better. Hope you enjoy! Once I blew it up the detail is amazing. I can't believe the quality of the picture. I am not exactly sure where the camera was located or how it was able to take such an amazing picture.

Did a quick search and came up with the same picture!
http://www.b58hustler.net/b58people06.htm
I wonder if the one I have is the original? That would be way awesome. Says it was taken by George Holt from a chase aircraft. There is also another one from inside the tanker looking back at the plane. Actually on a closer look it is very similar, but not exactly the same. The angle is a little different. Looks like the chase plane was moving around a bit.

Last edited:
That is awesome!!!! :D :cool:

I always thought the Hustler looked like a airliner on steroids LOL. Very tube like fuselage, the windows in the front, and of course the engines hanging under the wings in pods.

Here is some more of it. That is my dad and my grandpa(who worked on it) standing next to it.

LOL...Should I take from all the rescent chatter about the Hustler that people are waiting for me to finish it? Nice subtle hints everybody! :D I'll see what I can do in the NEAR future since someone else has been on me about finishing it so that he can do the CS on it

Thats really cool Zelatio!

I have a couple pics of historic signifigance but I will save them for another thread as they are related to a different plane.

I would like some input from people on the CS for the B-47 Stratojet. I'm debating if I want to make the B-47 look real or like an RC with the addition of panel lines. MOST RC planes do not have panel lines and I personally think the plane looks good and like an RC the way it is. What do you think?? All the insignias minus the SAC emblems on the nose are made from scratch as usual for my models. I've spent way to much time already on the CS for this plane and am starting to get to the point where I just want it to be done with so that I can move on to other planes like the B-17, B-58, TBF-1 Avenger and RV6A

Attachments

• ScreenShot1213200051.jpg
    ScreenShot1213200051.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
it looks good to me... I'm sure someone will make a cs with panel lines if you dont. (if you need any info on the RV-6 i live right next to vans)

Alright, well there's 4 votes for the RC look on the plane. Once I get the gear door pivots to co-operate I'll be able to finish up and release the plane. The aft gear doors aren't being nice, so they're taking a bit.

I'll throw my vote in for a more quality CS. A model is only half finished as far as I'm concerned without as much effort into the CS as you put into an EA. After all the CS is the first "Visual" or eye candy you see when you look at a model.

If you want someone else to do a better scheme later as some have mentioned.....why waste any time doing an original? Just release them all grey. Save the hassle on yourself.

ARTF Realflight Models? :D
That's not a bad ideal at all, that will force the community to pitch-in instead of always taking and complaining.

Back