Backup your G2 Disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstoneman

I just upgraded to G4.5, and wanted to put the G2 on my wife's machine.

Can't find the disk, and support doesn't have anymore.

Of course I could find my G1 disk, and controller, that are useless. :)

I sure wish I had burned an ISO file from the G2 CD so I could make a disk.

As it stands, if you lose the CD, you are out of luck, so burn a copy.

The worse part, is that I had it installed on her machine, and she uninstalled it last year. Now she is getting an interest in RC, and it's gone.

I wish I had an ISO. :)

jeffpn said:
What makes you so sure you wouldn't have lost that? :D If you're wishing, wish to get your original disc back.

The ISO would be on a hard drive and backed up. I used a drive image to transfer to a new PC and G2 worked perfectly. No G2 disk needed.

The sad thing, is I have the interlink serial and the CD serial on two machines, that work, but without the stuff that needs to be in the registry, and any other hidden stuff, I am out of luck on my wife's machine.

I don't know why getting this to work has to be such a big secret, since the software won't work without my interlink anyway, and I registered years ago, so it isn't like I can't prove I bought it.

I am sure not going to spend yet another $200 to replace software that I paid for, yet can't use.

I respect any companies right to their policies, yet I can't say this makes me real happy.

I have bought 3 versions G1, G2, and G4, plus add-ons and expansion packs, and have spent probably over $800 on Real Flight, and my problem could be fixed with a script to populate the registry, but so be it.

Again, I will not get upset that KE won't help me with this, as they shouldn't get upset that I am going to check the other simulators on the market for my wife's use.

I am happy with G4, but I am not sure I want to support KE in the future with my dollars. It works both ways.

Many folks around here with registration problems or damaged discs have resolved them by contacting tech support.

Have you contacted Great Planes about your options?

Misdirected anger here is hardly productive to your cause. :confused:

If I scratched or lost my copy of G4 discs I certainly wouldn't come on here blaming everyone but myself. If it's important to you treasure it.

Some thoughts in no particular order:

You have backups and your wife uninstalled? Recover (system partition only) to the last backup before she uninstalled? (Will take a bit more work if the user data is in the same partition but it's still doable with some shuffling. May also need to reinstall some things she added later but maybe you can find those?)

Let her use your PC sometimes? (4.5 is better anyway.)

I just scanned ebay and found G2s at $25 bids and $60 Buy it nows...

For the future, find a way to organize your software CDs and/or make backups of those. This is nothing specific to RealFlight - ancient software is often not just floating around.

cstoneman said:
my problem could be fixed with a script to populate the registry, but so be it.
I am not following you. Many people (but not me, of course) have RF installed on more than one machine. You can update both machines, no problem. All you have do is to register using the same name and password. It's not an issue. So if you had had the foresight of making an ISO of your disc that you lost, you could install it again right now. (Or if you still had the CDs.)
cstoneman said:
I am sure not going to spend yet another $200 to replace software that I paid for, yet can't use.
Yeah, why was that again? I think phrank said 'misdirected anger.'
cstoneman said:
Again, I will not get upset that KE won't help me with this, as they shouldn't get upset that I am going to check the other simulators on the market for my wife's use.
Why are you <threatening/intending to boycott/call it what you will> RealFlight? This has nothing to do with RF. Let's say you do refuse to buy RF again because of this. You buy another sim, and a few years down the road, your ISO HD crashed, and of course you lost your install discs. Then who will you blame? And like phrank said, GP support has been known more than once to help people in your exact situation. No, they won't ship you new discs for free, but it will be significantly less than $200. Don't blame KE/GP because YOU lost your discs. Call tech support. They WILL help you.

Last edited:
phrank said:
Many folks around here with registration problems or damaged discs have resolved them by contacting tech support.

Have you contacted Great Planes about your options?

Misdirected anger here is hardly productive to your cause. :confused:

If I scratched or lost my copy of G4 discs I certainly wouldn't come on here blaming everyone but myself. If it's important to you treasure it.

I think some people didn't read the original post. I contacted support by E-mail and Phone, and they don't have disks and can't help. Sorry, tough luck.

Their suggestion, is buy it again. Like I said, KE doesn't need to handle this at all, tough luck for me.

Yet I have Photoshop, Video editing, and other sofware that costs a lot more then RF. Since I payed for them, and registered, I can go on Adobe's site and download any version that I legaly paid for at anytime I need to.

Guess what, it's 2009, and it's not real hard to help out customers that have problems. I have been downloading software and patches for 15 years.

So I should not be a little upset when I paid $200 for a product that I can't use, and am told that I should just buy it again?

Oh wait, it is my fault because I can't find the disk. But at the same time, the company that created the software in the first place, can't seem to find an ISO file and burn a disk to send out. Interesting.

I am not going to argue about anything, and as for this being productive, I have already been told tough luck, so this isn't about being productive, it is about making a complaint on service.

Some companies address complaints, and others seem to think they don't need to. Fine.

That is why, I will take my dollars somewhere else in the future.

You can make it my fault, but that won't change the fact that G5 won't be purchased by me. So have at it, helping me would be better, but KE isn't my business, and they can run it anyway they want.

I forgot you had said that GP said they no longer have any copies of G2 available. But I stand by my previous statement that it isn't KE/GP's fault that you find yourself in this situation. What will you do when [sarcasm]whoever is lucky enough to earn your business [/sarcasm] cannot provide you with 7-10 year old copies either? I don't think that RF is the only sim supported the way it is. You will need to do some serious research to make sure that the next sim you buy has dial-a-download available to you from now until eternity, for software 2,3,4,5 or more generations old. At least we agree on one thing:
cstoneman said:
Oh wait, it is my fault because I can't find the disk.

Mikeymike21 said:
It's started! :D
I wonder how many pages this will last...this is awsome. :D

Why would it last? Pretty simple. They told me to buzz off, and I will do the same. But I guess KE has customers just waiting in line to spend those dollars, so they won't miss mine. :)

Pretty poor business practice, but it's not my balance sheet.

Have fun.

jeffpn said:
What will you do when [sarcasm]whoever is lucky enough to earn your business [/sarcasm] cannot provide you with 7-10 year old copies either?

Gee, I can get parts for a ten year car from Toyota, and it has hundreds of parts, yet KE doesn't have an ISO copy of a software package that is one file.

You crack me up.

We're talking software, not cars, right? Just let me know, keeping in mind your issues with GP software support, which sim you go with, and why.

cstoneman said:
Gee, I can get parts for a ten year car from Toyota, and it has hundreds of parts, yet KE doesn't have an ISO copy of a software package that is one file.

You crack me up.

LOL! Do parts for your Toyota typically cost less than G2 is auctioning for on ebay? Toyota sells parts at a profit. There's always more profit in the parts and options than in the car. The car is just to get you hooked on those genuine Toyota parts. Why do you think they're always advertising that you'd be taking your life into your hands if you bought cheaper parts?

Call Toyota and tell them you've lost everything except the dashboard and see what that'll set you back. :D

Heck I just bought a part for a bathroom exhaust fan that cost me more than what G2 is auctioning for on ebay.

Last edited:
The point is not about what the parts cost, but having the parts.

I didn't expect a free replacement, just the ability to get one.

Keep drinking the koolaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back