Blender 2.5x

xljedi

Anyone had success using the new Blender 2.5x?

Specifically, exporting the .blend file as a .3ds file and how well that works with the 3ds2kex converter utility?

I was about to start playing with it myself, but if someone's already been there done that, then... :rolleyes:

Yeah, and that Python script totally doesn't work with the new Blender 2.5x
(it's a Blender 2.4x script)

I've also checked this out:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=202434

...where it seemed the modfications required to make the export script work ran into a deadend when the obvious python code tweeks revealed that it was the revised/new object structure in Blender 2.5x that was at the root of the problem.

I figured. Guess you should download 2.49 also then. ;)

The script in Post 72 is the one that actually works.

Cowpig said:
I figured. Guess you should download 2.49 also then. ;)

The script in Post 72 is the one that actually works.

Yeah, which is the dilema... having never used Blender before, I invested a week in learning the tool. (it's awesome BTW, and time well spent)

However, all of the Blender video tutorials are done with the new 2.5x user interface. Which doesn't seem to have all the gadgets in the same place as 2.49.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, the Blender UI is challenging enough when you have to deal with one UI layout... now I have to figure out how to map what I've learned to the 2.49 layout as well. :( This would seem like a major stumbling block for anyone who has not used the Blender v2.4x UI and is starting out fresh.

I was just hoping maybe I could bypass the Python script... maybe the 2.5x 3DS exporter works better than previous?

Last edited:
I have yet to get Blender 2.5, and I never really got to use the exporter, seeing that every time I'd apply pivots, the model would get messed up. 2.49 was really cluttered for me, seeing that I never bothered to learn how it worked thoroughly.

Hope you're one of the lucky ones that gets Blender added on to the permanent, for-sure list of viable programs for designing planes for RF. :)

Last edited:
Cowpig said:
I have yet to get Blender 2.5, and I never really got to use the exporter, seeing that every time I'd apply pivots, the model would get messed up.

Hope you're one of the lucky ones that gets Blender added on to the list of viable programs for designing planes for RF. :)

It seems as though the 2.5x UI is nicer than 2.4x, still a lot more cluttered than I'm accustomed too, but seems easy to hide/unhide panels and so forth.

With regard to pivots, I'm not even that far, just trying to get a basic AP object into the game. I've read a little discussion however related to pivots and it seemed like some problems were solved when people learned about Local vs. Global points of rotation.

Last edited:
Cowpig said:
Hope you're one of the lucky ones that gets Blender added on to the permanent, for-sure list of viable programs for designing planes for RF. :)

Uhhhh... is it not currently on the list of viable programs for plane design? What is on the list? Wings?

I thought the "for-sure" list was forever limited to a single $4000 program. ;)

Random fact, but the quote in my signature was one from a Blender video tutorial one of the other users here made.

As for the basic AP object, it should be as simple as the directions described in the Blender export tutorial KE made, right? And it still only made half sense to me.

I'm wondering how to get an already created map to show in Blender. That would make my life easier. I'm sure it's somewhere.

Wings is on the first half on the procedure to create objects, so it's only good for half on the list. ;) But it definitely does work, seeing that some modelers here prefer to work in Wings and then do the rest on a $4000 program.

The only problem with Blender is the limited amount of success stories with it. It's been proven to work though.

But it seems more effective to just go ask a 3DSMax person to do the rest for you. ;)

Last edited:
don't quote me.................. but I BELIVE you can also do the pivots in a program know as
"Deep Exploration" I think there is something about it in a sticky at the G3 designers corner
not sure if its free (or even still valid ).................. but I'm sure its far less the 3dsmax if its not

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I just edited my previous post when you posted Maj. :eek:

I do believe that DE also costs some. But I highly doubt anything comes close to Autodesk price.

It's in a Sticky in the 3.5 Designer's Forum

EDIT
Two stickies actually.

Last edited:
Cowpig said:
As for the basic AP object, it should be as simple as the directions described in the Blender export tutorial KE made, right? And it still only made half sense to me.

hehehe... the KE Blender Export Tutorial starts off with, "DL this Python Script"

Actually, I think the steps are:
1) DL: 3ds2kex converter
2) DL: Blender (and figure out how to use it)
3) DL: Python Script (and figure out how to install it in Blender)

Where it seems to fall apart is in the assumption that Blender will always be version 2.4x. If you want to learn how to use it, the video tutes are all done with an instructor using 2.5x.

Now I know how to use Blender 2.5x, but I have a Python script that only works in the 2.4x version.

I'll keep noodling on it... just wanted to know what (if any) progress/success others have had.

How about get 2.4x, then do your stuff in 2.5 and then export to the 2.4x, then use the script? If you've installed it of course.

Actually, the only reason it took me forever to get the script to show up was because the one in the first post of that thread did NOT work, but for some reason the one in #72 did.

My first EA (not posted because Dr. Moo is working on it in Max) was actually first exported out of Blender. I had someone else do that for me though.

Last edited:
Did you happen to notice there's actually a .blend model of the NexSTAR trainer that KE provided in their samples?

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the 3DS file for the P-51D, a "Physics Plane", and the NexSTAR trainer were stuck in there too... though I had no luck using the 3DS import tool to open the P-51 in Blender 2.56. (well it loaded, but it looks like an exploded mess)

I could be wrong
but I believe those are samples intended to be taken in to max
I think the Idea was to give you a starting point to redo the naming and /or pivots

never noticed there was a blend file but I only looked at them once a long time ago

All I saw was a texture for the NEXStar as a sample so you could import a cube into RF. When I opened the Max file, the parts were all over the place except the landing gears, and I believe there were two wings.

One of the examples is an actual .blend model...

nextstar_blender.png

It's the NextStar Trainer; I thought it was pretty cool. Has the entire structure of the plane all layed out. At least got me thinking the devs were supportive of using Blender.

Last edited:
Re;Anyone had success using the new Blender 2.5x?

Specifically, exporting the .blend file as a .3ds file and how well that works with the 3ds2kex converter utility?
Have just tryed using the native 3ds export from a blender2.5beta in the converter!,i get a message the file has no nodes.
Using the 3ds generated by Rayvels script in 2.49b the 3ds2kex.exe works fine.

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 12
Back