Blender 2.5x

JCHarrist said:
3ds2kex is a standalone program but it must be run from a DOS command line.

It sounds like he is trying to run it by double clicking the program icon.

I was running it from a dos CMD line. After typing in all the 3ds2kex -v3 -s [location of file] and hit enter. That's when it would open a second CMD window for a split second while the original screen stayed open with the info that was typed in. I was able to catch the screen by clicking on it once before it disappeared (when it actually stayed open for a full second or 2) and it had a bunch of end user license info. After I released the mouse button it disappeared.

I finally got it working to convert to a kex file, but it still only flashes a second CMD window for a split second when it does the conversion.

If you run 3ds2kex by itself at the command line, it will show you the various parameters that can be entered at execution. The -s parameter is supposed to suppress the license agreement.

It looks like you entered it with the -s, so that seems odd.

doug6952 said:
It would be great if you can modify the script to work with 2.5. It's a much nicer UI then 2.49. right now I'm jumping back and forth between the two versions.

Sorry, I missed this post... you're jumping back and forth? Then you are actually using blender to do the models?

I was trying to justify investing time in updating the python script by first making sure there are no final requirements to do something in 3ds. Have you had success with this, if so, I'll start on updating the python script now.

xljedi said:
Sorry, I missed this post... you're jumping back and forth? Then you are actually using blender to do the models?

I was trying to justify investing time in updating the python script by first making sure there are no final requirements to do something in 3ds. Have you had success with this, if so, I'll start on updating the python script now.

I've been building the model in Blender2.5 since I like the UI beter and it seems easier to work with then 2.49. To export it as a kex I open the model I built in 2.5 with 2.49 and export it from there.

OK, thanks, me too...

I have a greater depth of understanding on the situation now and can see I'll probably be taking a similar approach in the nearterm.

I feel confident enough to proceed with blender as there does seem to be enough evidence to support that it can do the job.

I'm going to follow the path of first creating a static airport object, then dynamic... then rollercoaster path following, after that I'll look into a plane or heli.

sticking my toe where .........

or my foot :rolleyes:

I wanted to just add a tiny item to an airport, and I became involved in the KEX conversion thing, the blender thing, and horrors,,,, now it's the python thing!

The path I took was Blender 2.58, then I discovered it will not handle the 3dskex convert script, but 2.49 would read the 2.58 file in and it will handle the script, so I thought I was on a roll. HA!

When installing 2.49b it says something to the effect that it needs a full python install, and I saw a couple posts about using blender 2.49 and python 2.6.6,,,, but no explanations. So,,, for this dummy........

I've got Python 2.6.7 (can't get 2.6.6 anymore) in a zip file, and it is HUGE. Nowhere do I see an install exe, or any exe for that matter in the zip. So,,,,, where do I unzip this monster to? Does it go in the Blender directories? Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks for any help.

cheers
cactus

maybe someone still has 2.6.6, in their DL folder
I'm about to go blow things up for awhile

and I'll check to see if I still have it.
I dL'd blender and python a long time ago .......... maybe its still in my back up drive?
I'll let you know

cjack99 said:
or my foot :rolleyes:

I wanted to just add a tiny item to an airport, and I became involved in the KEX conversion thing, the blender thing, and horrors,,,, now it's the python thing!

The path I took was Blender 2.58, then I discovered it will not handle the 3dskex convert script, but 2.49 would read the 2.58 file in and it will handle the script, so I thought I was on a roll. HA!

When installing 2.49b it says something to the effect that it needs a full python install, and I saw a couple posts about using blender 2.49 and python 2.6.6,,,, but no explanations. So,,, for this dummy........

I've got Python 2.6.7 (can't get 2.6.6 anymore) in a zip file, and it is HUGE. Nowhere do I see an install exe, or any exe for that matter in the zip. So,,,,, where do I unzip this monster to? Does it go in the Blender directories? Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks for any help.

cheers
cactus
PM me an email addy. I think I have the link for what you need, but it will be later before I can send it as I too am fixing to go play with explosives :p

and that didn't take long!

Thanks for the help! I was just coming back to post that I had found it, but already 2 replies! That's just super!

Remember what Momma told you about explosives!

Anyhoo,,, sometimes a long google question will produce an answer. In this case, the link to find the python version download that has the msi installer in it. Very handy that.

here is a link that perhaps will stay valid for awhile!

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.5/

My Blender 2.49 is now happy, and all I have to do is figure out what I'm doing. If I'm successful with this simple AP object I will add it to the listing. I'm not sure many will want it, but in order to accurately model a certain flying locale, it must be there.

cheers and thanks, and happy 4th of July!!!

cactus

Back