Build poll "Golden age" Nov 2018

select the next build

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
good job techie

if you don't mind me saying that was the better thing to do there technoid,
also I support you in whichever plane you want to make legoman, they're all going to be great with you creating them

I think, if you used your computer to educate yourself better you'd know more about the Golden Age and scale. The F3F is within the parameters of Golden Age Aircraft.

I luv ya both so heres my 2-cents....

Sometimes the words on the screen can look harsh when read without "intended voice" of the original typist....

I remember ripping on Technoids Bearcat like a stand-up comic, I was so slick and edgy making fun of the middle-aged pudginess so common in Grumman airframes, in contrast to their kick-*** performance...

Like comparing my Dad the WW2 vet to a Hot Boy-Band Singer....One has "the look", the other is the real deal of Strength and Manliness...

I thought for sure my sassy homage to Grumman's Stoic and Reliable Warhorses came blazing through in that post...

Except it didn't. :eek:

I luv ya both so heres my 2-cents....

Sometimes the words on the screen can look harsh when read without "intended voice" of the original typist....

Here's U-Birds post to technoid it's clearly an insult.

I think, if you used your computer to educate yourself better you'd know more about the Golden Age and scale. The F3F is within the parameters of Golden Age Aircraft.

U-Birds comments look harsh because they are harsh. He picks on people that don't build their planes his way, yet he hasn't modeled a single plane. Or at least there's none of his planes on the swap pages. Oh yeah, some nice color schemes but that's not modeling. I model too and it's a totally different ball game. He thinks he's the God of Scale but little does he know elitist's like him are tolerated because they won't go away and leave them alone. If KnifeEdge followed their own rules he would have been banned by now for the comments he's made. He makes the forum worse not better. He hasn't modeled a single plane but picks on people that do and don't follow his rules. I've followed this forum for years but rarely post because of stuff like this. Some self-appointed god has to make it hard on the people around them. I have a suggestion for U-Bird, why don't you stay in your screen shots thread and quit harassing people in other threads. If you can't say something that helps don't say anything at all. And sarcasm and insults don't help.

I need to give an apology to technoid, he agreed with one of my comments and U-Bird had to drop by an insult him. Notice U-Bird didn't say anything to me, only technoid so I guess he doesn't like technoid because he doesn't bend to his rules. I just searched this thread and it seems technoid is gone, so U-Bird chased him out. So technoid I'm sorry you agreed with me and was dumped on by the God of Scale. Man a warbird (F3F) doesn't seem to go with the other planes given the parameters of the poll (Golden Age) which is GENERALLY considered to be civilian aircraft and the F3F isn't a civilian aircraft. A quote about the F3F "The F3F marked the end of the era of the carrier-based biplane fighter". Does a 'fighter plane' fit alongside the other planes in the poll, no it doesn't. Now dump on me U-Bird.

Simply put, the "Golden Age of Aviation" is commonly known as the time between the World War One, and World War Two, and covered all aircraft in the 20's and 30's.

There was no limitation on the era pertaining to just civilian, or just military aircraft. The "era" referred to all aviation during this period of time in history ...

Which all the AIRCRAFT in the above poll had it part in.

But, I know 99% of you knew this ... which make me wonder "why the bickering"?

Simply put, the "Golden Age of Aviation" is commonly known as the time between the World War One, and World War Two, and covered all aircraft in the 20's and 30's.

There was no limitation on the era pertaining to just civilian, or just military aircraft. The "era" referred to all aviation during this period of time in history ...

Which all the AIRCRAFT in the above poll had it part in.

But, I know 99% of you knew this ... which make me wonder "why the bickering"?

Sure I agree that all aircraft in that time frame are part of the golden age, no problem. But generally when people talk about aircraft from the golden age they always speak about civilian aircraft, not warbirds. So yes of course the F3F is 'part' of the golden age of aviation but out of place competing with the other aircraft in the poll. Is that reasonable or is it still wrong? The heat started with U-Birds insult and sometimes you have to stand up to bullies. If you want to tell someone they're wrong don't insult them to do it, it generates heat. U-Bird doesn't like technoid because he builds his planes his way I've seen him attack him in other threads and I like technoid's airplanes so I'll take up for him. Heat doesn't bother me.

EDIT:

Here's an example of what I mean a museum's list of their Golden Age of Aviation Aircraft.

https://www.fantasyofflight.com/collection/aircraft/currently-not-showing-in-museum/golden-age/

Last edited:
Sure I agree that all aircraft in that time frame are part of the golden age, no problem. But generally when people talk about aircraft from the golden age they always speak about civilian aircraft, not warbirds. So yes of course the F3F is 'part' of the golden age of aviation but out of place competing with the other aircraft in the poll. Is that reasonable or is it still wrong? The heat started with U-Birds insult and sometimes you have to stand up to bullies. If you want to tell someone they're wrong don't insult them to do it, it generates heat. U-Bird doesn't like technoid because he builds his planes his way I've seen him attack him in other threads and I like technoid's airplanes so I'll take up for him. Heat doesn't bother me.

EDIT:

Here's an example of what I mean a museum's list of their Golden Age of Aviation Aircraft.

https://www.fantasyofflight.com/collection/aircraft/currently-not-showing-in-museum/golden-age/

And the Stinson L-1E and Cierva C.30 that is on your list are not a military planes.

EDIT:

Semantics ... Your poll stated golden age aircraft. All were.
If you wanted just civilian Aircraft, It shouldn't have included military.

The Biplanes of that era were king (in my opinion), but were losing the battle when engineers got smarter and started pushing the envelope ... cleaner airfoils, less frontal drag, two wings was not as cost effective ... more power, bendix cup racing, Howard Hughes, jets were in the works ...

Most think of the golden age in terms of Biplanes, airshows, State fairs, and barnstormers ... Air races, Transcontinental flight, and mail service, also were a major part of the Golden Age ...

For me, Biplanes and big radial engines are my soft spot ... and the military always seemed to have the money to develop the planes that would influence the civilian aviation industry.

Not so much the other way around ... but big government contracts and money always have the most say.

And ... as always ... everyone has an opinion on what the golden age means to them.

I just happen to love my military aircraft, and even though I served in the Air Force ...
The fact that Navy had planes that were able to take off and land on carriers, always astounded me. And to have aviators, brave enough to fly them ... Top Shelf.

To take jabs at others, because they don't like the same planes as you - is in poor taste ... it can be funny sometimes, but on a public forum ... it becomes dicey ...

Kind of like putting down the guy driving a PRIUS, while your driving a Shelby Cobra, or, the guy riding a moped as you go by on your Harley. :cool:

There is a place for all ... just some will always be on the wrong side of the coin.

And the Stinson L-1E and Cierva C.30 that is on your list are not a military planes.

I did misstate my point in the beginning so I'm sorry about that. But I thought it was clear enough that I was saying warbirds didn't belong in the poll because for most people warbirds are in a class of their own. And correct me if I'm wrong but there weren't any warbirds in the link I posted.

Semantics ... Your poll stated golden age aircraft. All were.
If you wanted just civilian Aircraft, It shouldn't have included military.

The Biplanes of that era were king (in my opinion), but were losing the battle when engineers got smarter and started pushing the envelope ... cleaner airfoils, less frontal drag, two wings was not as cost effective ... more power, bendix cup racing, Howard Hughes, jets were in the works ...

Most think of the golden age in terms of Biplanes, airshows, State fairs, and barnstormers ... Air races, Transcontinental flight, and mail service, also were a major part of the Golden Age ...

For me, Biplanes and big radial engines are my soft spot ... and the military always seemed to have the money to develop the planes that would influence the civilian aviation industry.

Not so much the other way around ... but big government contracts and money always have the most say.

And ... as always ... everyone has an opinion on what the golden age means to them.

I just happen to love my military aircraft, and even though I served in the Air Force ...
The fact that Navy had planes that were able to take off and land on carriers, always astounded me. And to have aviators, brave enough to fly them ... Top Shelf.

To take jabs at others, because they don't like the same planes as you - is in poor taste ... it can be funny sometimes, but on a public forum ... it becomes dicey ...

Kind of like putting down the guy driving a PRIUS, while your driving a Shelby Cobra, or, the guy riding a moped as you go by on your Harley. :cool:

There is a place for all ... just some will always be on the wrong side of the coin.

I read your post twice but I'm still a bit confused by it. You seem to agree with me in one place but put me down in another. Well I can live with that. The truth is asking RCers what plane they like the best with a warbird in the mix and several 'mostly' unpopular aircraft is loading the deck in favor of the warbird. I love the F3F it will be a great plane but the flight physics will need to be improved.

And for the record I never took a jab at anyone I simply called a bully a bully.

I also remember not long ago you calling foul and saying I'll take my color schemes and go home. Glass houses as they say.

I did misstate my point in the beginning so I'm sorry about that. But I thought it was clear enough that I was saying warbirds didn't belong in the poll because for most people warbirds are in a class of their own. And correct me if I'm wrong but there weren't any warbirds in the link I posted.

I read your post twice but I'm still a bit confused by it. You seem to agree with me in one place but put me down in another. Well I can live with that. The truth is asking RCers what plane they like the best with a warbird in the mix and several 'mostly' unpopular aircraft is loading the deck in favor of the warbird. I love the F3F it will be a great plane but the flight physics will need to be improved.

And for the record I never took a jab at anyone I simply called a bully a bully.

I also remember not long ago you calling foul and saying I'll take my color schemes and go home. Glass houses as they say.

I am going place a vote to end the discussion in general. What you said to me about the F3F not being golden era plane felt like you were calling me and everyone who agreed with me stupid.

There was no put-downs intended ... especially on the net, in a forum, where you cant Hear the spoken words on their intended tone of delivery.

As for the other instance you referred to, I don't remember ... and if you got feelings hurt ... well I will say I'm sorry ... but I still don't remember that far back ... :eek:

And this brings me to remembering why I started to shy away from this place ... :D

I am going place a vote to end the discussion in general. What you said to me about the F3F not being golden era plane felt like you were calling me and everyone who agreed with me stupid.

I'm sorry it wasn't my intent to call anyone stupid. The only thing I meant by my original comment is it's an error to include a warbird in a general discussion of golden age aircraft because more people than not will equate it with general aviation. I did say you made an error but I didn't say you were stupid. And there was no 'heat' in my original comment.

Who came in and clearly called someone stupid, U-Bird with his comment to technoid. And since his comment was voiced at my original comment it insulted me and made me angry. His comment drove technoid from the discussion completely all his posts have disappeared. As the thread owner you should have called out U-Bird for his comments to technoid. You can't read his comment without seeing the true meaning, which would be, you're stupid and should educate your self and your planes aren't scale. The same old thing from him I've seen in technoid's build threads (i keep up with all of his planes i just don't post much).

I have no problem dumping this discussion. Of course that depends on what's posted to me. If I'm not dumped on this is my last post about it.

There was no put-downs intended ... especially on the net, in a forum, where you cant Hear the spoken words on their intended tone of delivery.

As for the other instance you referred to, I don't remember ... and if you got feelings hurt ... well I will say I'm sorry ... but I still don't remember that far back ... :eek:

And this brings me to remembering why I started to shy away from this place ... :D

No problem. I didn't get my feelings hurt in the other instance I mentioned I was just following the posts in a build thread. None of your comments was to me or about me you just didn't like what others were doing. Legoman asked to stop this discussion and that's what I'm going to do. Go play some golf and ride your Harley :)

I think everyone here has made legitimate points on the topic. Flip has his opinion/point of view, in general, I would have to agree with him, simply because, I feel the same way. When I think of "Golden age" planes, I don`t think of warbirds, nothing wrong with that. AT THE SAME TIME, I have too agree with Legoman, and the point he brought up about the plane being built in the "ERA" we simply call " the golden age of aviation", you can`t argue with that. It`s all simply a matter of personal opinion, nobody is wrong. "Technically speaking' Legoman IS correct, "Generally speaking" Flip IS correct also, simply because, he say`s "Most People" DON`T THINK OF warbirds when you speak of "The Golden age of aviation", I`m guilty of that as well, BUT, I don`t disagree with Legoman`s point. Everyone should simply agree to disagree, everyone is correct in their own way.;););):p

Personally, I include lots of Military planes in the "Golden Age" category....

Biplane fighters (Hawker Fury, Bristol Bulldog, Boeing P-12, Curtiss Hawk etc) are "Golden Age" to me because of their construction/appearance as well as the time frame....

If I can oooh and aahhh over a Golden Age Travel Air or Jenny (military, WW1 era BTW) I'm going to have the same "romantic" feeling for almost any other Fixed Gear, Open Cockpit Biplane of similar construction style, whether its "Military" or not...

SO..... what the heck IS a "Warbird"?

To me its a Military Monoplane, Metal Skin, Closed Cockpit, Retracts....generally of WW2 Vintage though certainly designed/flown in the late Golden Age...

P-26 Peashooter? Monoplane Fighter Yes, Metal Skin yes, but Golden Age because of its STYLE...open cockpit and wheel pants....groovy baby, like bell-bottoms and an open shirt!!

P-35?......a bit too much "modern warbird" style to be a true Golden Age plane I suppose, but TO ME its Golden Age because I like all of those "early, almost" WW2 Fighters before they Morphed into Full-on Warbirds...

P-35's and 43's before the P-47...... P-36 before the P-40....the Brewster Buffalo before the Wild and Hellcats came around (I know, not the same Father, but that chubby Milkman of Fuselage Design got a run on mommy for sure!)

Last edited:
Back