Can't import some custom models

Lukas03

I'm currently in the process of importing some custom models, with many it's running smoothly, but with some I'm getting an error message.

"Error solving references for C:\User\...... Import failed"

Do you have an idea what could be causing this?
There are also newer models for the Evolution version where it doesn't work either.

You left out the most important part of the message... Your "......." contains the REAL hints about what's failing! Not you user name, but the part after it. :rolleyes:

I suspect that the problem is that the path is too long. There are more characters there than I've ever seen in a valid file path, and I recall seeing some thread/post a long time ago about the problem, but I can't seem to find it. I don't remember the details, but there was something about the maximum number of characters in the path/filename. I don't remember the number - maybe 127 or so.
P.S. Looking at it "import fehlgeschlagen" leads me to believe it's German? maybe the language is more verbose than English, and makes the filename/path too long. I know... I've previously suggested that non-English language settings can sometimes cause unexpected problems in RF. But you might try switching to English if you can to see if the problem goes away.

Last edited:
Thanks. I couldn't find it. I didn't bother counting characters, but it looks longer than that in the screen shot, and I can't even see the whole path. I don't know whether it's just too long to fit on the screen or if Lukas cropped it to hide his user name.
P.S. I just tried counting characters up to "105 5.kex" and got 120 or so. I had trouble keeping my place while I was trying to count. And I don't know how many characters are missing from the beginning of the path.

Last edited:
Evolution has added 8 characters to the path name compared to RF8. At least there's an appropriate error message instead of crashing. I wonder if they could increase the filename buffer size to allow longer path/names.

Yes i also think thats the problem.
But how can i change the path to a shorter one?
I downloaded the programm on steam. The main programm is in C:\Program Files (x86).
The game stands are in my documents folder which has a much longer path.
How can i move this folder to, e.g. C:\.

Windows allows a path of up to 256 characters after the drive letter. There are other specialized file systems that have a limit of 143, so I can understand where that number might come from.

Last edited:
I set all of my storage folders to be the top level on my D: drive using Win 11. But this can be done anywhere. Windows tries to be "friendly" by having several folder redirects that use a short name ("Documents" or "Photos", etc.) rather than always having to know the complete path to where the files are stored.
Create a new folder for the Documents (or Photos, or Video, or Music, etc.) at the new higher level location. (C:\MyDocs" or "C:\MyStuff\Documents" or whatever names/organization you like. One can keep documents, videos, music, photos, etc. in subfolders under the new root location - so it is easy to just back up the entire thing when desired).
Then go to your original Documents folder, and right click on it. Pick "Properties". There should be a "Location" tab.
Pick that, and there is a "Move..." button. Click on it and navigate to your new storage folder.
It will advise that all files should be moved so programs could find them. Go ahead and do so.

Restart Windows (as it is always good to do so after a change like this).
Test your various programs that use/open files from the Documents folder. Most will have no issue.
Some may need to have their own settings adjusted to know where the new folder is (older, not as compliant with newer versions of Windows).
A select few may not have that option, in which case, their files will have to go back to the old C:\Users...folder.
Worst case? Use the Move option to put it all back in the original folder.

No "Location" tab? A deeper issue with your PC and Windows install - so you'll have to Google possible solutions...

:( My gut says that won't work. One problem with all the versions of RF that I have had - 2,3,5,7,&8... there are config files in subdirs of the"vehicles" directory that contain the complete path to other necessary files . Specifically paths to colorscheme files, .bse files, & maybe some others. Those absolute links prevent a copy of those directories into the new RF version's doc files location to transfer custom models to the newer version of RF in one trivial file/directory copy. I assume that this is also true of Evo, but since I don't have Evo, I don't KNOW for sure. I've had to edit dozens of files to keep all my custom models working in every new version of RF. And I have to re-learn exactly how to do it with every new version every time I upgrade because it's several years between upgrades. Which is PART of the reason I've resisted RF9 & Evo. The edits I've had to do were trivial but tedious. Search for "C:\users\myusername\realflight 7..." & replace the 7 with an 8. In dozens of files. I had the same problem when a reinstall of Windows changed my user name.

Last edited:
The concept of using folder redirection does work. RealFlight will honor the setting for redirecting "Documents" to a place other than C:\Users\name\Documents. I have 9.5 on a PC where I have that redirected to a folder on a different drive. I don't see that as saving a whole lot of characters, though. You could probably save 10-15 that way, but I think we need to let the dev team address the real problem with the path length.

The catch is that to work with RealFlight, you must redirect it to a folder on a local drive somewhere. There are other posts here about people experiencing the new OneDrive "backup" system and how it redirects Documents out to OneDrive. (I saw that one personally on a new laptop.) That causes problems for RF, maybe because the name of the local sync folder for OneDrive is crazy long.

But as Bill describes, many of the text files used by RealFlight to locate settings and parts of models have full paths in them rather than relative paths. (Yes, Evo is still like the older versions in this respect.) If you pick up your existing Documents folder and move it, custom models in RF will break because the real file path changed. If you go through and correct the path in all of those files, you can fix it and get it working in the new location. When moving things around, I've found those paths in files in two places. For each model, you'll have to edit a file in Documents\RealFlight Evolution\Vehicles\CustomModels ending with a .bse extention. (Use Notepad to edit these files!) Then do the same thing for the model files in Documents\RealFlight Evolution\Vehicles\ColorSchemes in each .colorscheme file.

Then do the same thing for the model files in Documents\RealFlight Evolution\Vehicles\ColorSchemes in each .colorscheme file.
If I recall correctly, there are other files involved, too. Maybe engines/props, etc. But I do it so seldom that I don't remember them ALL. And I still get error messages from a few custom aircraft that I haven't tracked down, even though they seem to fly OK.

As you wrote i have OneDrive as my backup system, because of that my file paths are so long.
But I don't want to relocate my hole Documents, just the RealFlight Evolution folder.

I downloaded the Extreme Flight 105 5 and it imported it into Evo DX11 no problem, just took about a minute to open, (longer than normal) after the green text successful message.
Suggest Lukas03 perform another download and retry the import process.
I notice from the screenshot of the path in post #3 it refers to the .kex file failure, possible corrupt download of the kex file?
When the model launched it had a visual frame missing error for the steering gear, (easily fixed)
Screenshot of the model path on my PC. note I have OneDrive folder.

Attachments

• Extreme Flight 105 5.jpg
    Extreme Flight 105 5.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Extreme Flight Slick 105 5.jpg
    Extreme Flight Slick 105 5.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 7
Back