Can't install RealFlight Add-ons Volume 3: setup.exe crashes

ghidora

Hello,

I sent an email off to rfsupport@greatplanes.com and have yet to get a response, so I am posting this here to see if it is any faster.

I've installed G3, add-ons volumes 1, 2, 4, 5, all without a problem, but every time I try to install volume 3, setup.exe crashes.

I have tried to manually install the add on, but no luck. I downloaded a tool that will let me extract the RFAOV3.DCK from the data1.cab file on the CD. I placed in the data folder with the other DCK files. I found the serial numbers in the win.ini file and manually entered volume 3's off of the CD back cover (I used volume 4 and 5 as a reference on what to add to the ini file). But apparently the serial number needs to be entered somewhere else on my PC. I cannot figure out where it needs to go (I've searched my registry for several different words that I thought would be used, with no luck).

So, here is what I need: a setup.exe file from volume 3 that is known to work on a WinXP SP2 system, or the location(s) on my system where I can manually enter the serial numbers so that G3 will recognise volume 3.

Oh, and if anyone is curious how I figured out what I did, I'm a Software Engineer (programmer).

Attachments

• launcheroutput.txt
    131 KB · Views: 178
I forgot to mention that I searched these forums for someone with the same problem and found nothing. Well, I tried again and must have typed the right thing in, setup.exe, and found a post mentioning the same thing. It mentioned GreatPlanesInstallationFix.exe, so I googled it. Found another site with a link to it: http://www.gpsoftware.com/downloads/GreatPlanesInstallationFix.exe

After downloading it, I placed the volume 3 CD in the drive, ran GreatPlanesInstallationFix.exe and voila, it installed.

You really ought to put this info into sticky thread so people will know how to deal with this issue and not repost about it.

Well, I can't get it to verify. rfaov3cdverify.exe is now crashing as was mentioned in the other post on this board. I guess I'm going to have to call tech support and probably sit on the phone for hours on hold.

Can't install Real Flight add ons vol 3

I have tried all rfSupport has suggested with Installation Fix,but no luck:

Heres the problem:

So with alll applications closed, AV turned off ,Firewall turned off ,Disconnected from Net, Motorola nec modem disconnected, I tried again.

Same problem so I tried Vol 5 and Vol 5 installed without any problems.

I did notice that after Vol 5 Setup window and 100% reached , it held for almost two and half minutes then continued with installation which was successful.

So I tried Vol 3 again..Setup held for almost three minutes (Drive continued to run) then disappeared. and drive continued to run and I let it run for exactly 5 minutes then stopped and removed disk and shortly after this the same window popped up "INS5176_MP Wrong Volume in Drive, Please insert RFAOV3 in drive,etc.
I tried this again (fourth time today, third time with Installation Fix) and got same result.

It would appear that if Vol 5 installed with no problem, the same should apply to
Vol 3.
================================================== ===
Today I removed Vol Add ons 1 and 5
Tried again Vol 3...Same problelm

Reinstalleld Vol 1...no problelm

Tried Vol 3...same problelm

Installed Vol 5...No problem

Vol 3 again...same problelm

If both add ons 1and5 install with noproblem should not vol 3 do the same.
I'm convnced the disk is defective.

Your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

oldad

You have to download and run the installation fix executable from the link in my second post. It will install vol. 3 for you. Then the next step is to call tech support and they will give a code that generates a code for you to give to them, then they will generate a new code for you to enter which will allow you to unlock vol. 3.

By the way, I never got a response to my email about it :mad: , but the guy on the phone was very helpful and very fast (less than 7 minutes - I used my cell).

Here is a link to the post where I found the info: http://12.156.2.54/forums/showthread.php?t=10234&highlight=setup.exe
The phone number is near the bottom of the thread.

Last edited:
Well I guess they still haven't fixed there software i can see that these post were made in 2005 and it is now may 2006. anf iam experiencing the same issue i have loaded all the add-on except 3 because the setup exe. crashes. i will try this link and then i have to call the support people.

You would think that they would have fixed the problem i knew i should have bought the other flight simulator. :mad:

There are two distinct and different problems which unfortunately get balled together adding to everyone's confusion.

The first problem is with the installer itself.

If you cannot get the installer to run, you need the "Installation fix" from the FAQ pages. This fix works for all add-ons btw.

The second problem is with the secdrv.sys copy protection.

Usually if you have another program installed that uses the same securerom protection, G3 gets screwed up.

Look for ALL occurances of secdrv.sys on your system outside of the RealflightG3 directory, delete them (or rename them) and reboot. Pay attention to files in C:\Windows\system32.

Once done, re-install V3 using the patch.

You should find a new folder for each of the installed volumes after the initial verification pass.

Mark these read only once you've verified your original disks.

That should cure the crashing problems with some volumes.

I've been here... and seen all of this.

At one point I uninstalled G3, then removed the knifeedge folder created under Documents and Settings, along with the ones in C:\Program Files\.

Then finally re-installed and did the above.

Until I marked the files and folder RO, the problem would re-occur after time.

Same Ol' Thing...

All right, after three years I still have the same problem as started all this. Trying to install the Add-ons to G3 (not 3.5; I have custom planes that won't run on anything after 3.00.448). I downloaded the Installation Fix and tried to install using that; I made absolutely sure that every secdrv.sys on my system was gone except the one in the G3 directory and then rebooted; I set the rfaov4 directory (the only one that was created that I can find) to read only. The result: add-ons 1, 2, 4, and 5 installed and run just fine; I cannot get add-ons 3 to install. Every time I do, it gets to 3%, sticks on rfaov3.dck, and gives me:

An error occurred during the move data process: -106
Component: RealFlight G2\SceneryDisk data
File Group: G2 SceneryDisk data
File: RFAOV3.DCK

After which it pukes. :mad: Can someone give me the magic combination? After which this thread is made a sticky (I've wasted over an hour reading all the threads)?

(Oh, and by the way, the thread that Ghidora posted a link to above is now dead...)

Attachments

• sys config.txt
    91.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It sounds like the installer is unable to read information from the CD.

Try copying the entire CD to a local directory to be sure that the disk is readable.

opjose said:
It sounds like the installer is unable to read information from the CD.

Try copying the entire CD to a local directory to be sure that the disk is readable.

I will try that tonight, but I really have a hard time believing that it just happens to stop on the file that everyone else had the problem with. After all, it was installed without a problem in G2.

Well if you consider that, that particular file is 380 megs in size or so, and constitutes the add-on itself, it would stand to reason that is why everyone has a problem with it.

Try copying the entire CD locally to double check everything.

:eek: All right... I was wrong. There appears to be an issue with the disk. It wouldn't copy all the way through in my CDROM drive, but it did just fine from my DVD drive, so I installed it successfully from there. Can't understand it; I believe I installed it from that drive originally with G2. That was the only other time it was ever out of the case. No visible scratches...

Sorry about that. Never mind! :rolleyes:

Nothing for you to be sorry about!

That's the nature of computer problems... sometimes the thing that looks like it should not be problematic, ends up being the cause of a bigger problem.

I'm glad you got it sorted out!

BTW: many CD & DVD readers/writers will eventually stop tracking the disk properly and cause the type of error you saw, even though the disk may be fine.

I'd change the drive at this point in your shoes.

You know the disk is OK, but the drive is not tolerating commercial CD's... that is not a good sign.

Back