Can't run Evolution!

This looks like similar symptoms to those that occurred for someone missing some redisributables. Could you try the following steps:
  1. Press the Start button
  2. Click the gear icon to open settings
  3. Click apps
  4. Scroll down to see if something like this appears:
    1666936356968.png

It may also read 2015-2019.
  5. If it does not, please try installing this package from Microsoft: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe
This file should have been installed by Steam, but if it failed, it could cause the error you are seeing.

I installed this and rebooted and then checked that it was installed. Steam installs 2015-2019 package. After reboot same error and Visual is up to date(2015-2022).

After testing, we have determined that RealFlight Evolution is not compatible with Windows 7, which is not one of the supported operating systems. We had not previously tested, since Microsoft ended support for it in 2020 and we do not recommend or support end-of-life operating systems.

We strongly recommend upgrading to Windows 10 or 11 for security reasons alone. RF Evo works fine with both.

You're absolutely right. The system requirements were correct on realflight.com, but as part of the above process we discovered they were incorrect on the Steam store page and corrected the typo. (Those kinds of changes sometimes take a little while to percolate, so you may not see the change yet.)

If you made your purchase decision on that basis, we'd be happy to assist you in obtaining a refund.

No refund needed, I was very disappointed. I upgraded to evolution for portability on my systems at work and at home and it isn't as straight foward as I expected. I have been flying RF8 HHE and haven't seen much of a change other then the addition of new planes and fields. The new menus are ok. I will have to use an additional computer for work as I design high speed laser cutting systems and my main work computer needs to remain at win7 for some older software that does not run well in a VM. I have purchased and upgraded since RealFlight Classic and it feels like there hasn't been a significant upgrade since RF7. It seems long term customers have suffered with this later upgrade routine, paying full price again and again.

I am having the exact same issue as “Pache11”.
After reading this thread I downloaded and installed the file recommended by Jeremy. That still didn’t help. I even tried to repair the RF files through STEAM, but that did nothing, as well.
If this problem is related to the operating system then I might as well delete the Evolution part. If Win7 won’t run it then what’s the point of having it on my computer?
I also see here that Steam did in fact state that Evolution would work on Win7. However, in my case I purchased RF 9.5S through Amazon and downloaded it through Steam. How would you guys set a value to that? I want to keep the RF 9.5, but can’t use the Evolution part of it?
It does in fact state on the box of which it was packaged in that it will work with Win7.

Last edited:
I just bought Realflight Evo and after installing steam and going thru all the hassle I also cannot get RF Evo to run. I get the error msg "Error Loading DLL AppCore.dll"

All of the previous msgs on this subject date back 4 months ago. Is there now a viable solution to this problem? I was very excited to get this installed and running on my gaming PC but so far the 4+ hours I've spent with this have been very frustrating.

My system:
AMD 4200 Quad processor 3300 MHZ

Win7 (64 bit)

RAM 8191 MB

Video AMD Radeon R9 200 series

Hopefully the answer is not having to upgrade to Win10 because my hardware is not compatible.

Last edited:
RealFlight Evolution won't run on Windows 7. Here's the min sys requirements from Steam.

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

Here's a post from Ryan Douglas on the RealFlight Team talking about it.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/cant-run-evolution.57022/post-355519
Thanks. This is not the answer i was hoping for. I do have a 64 bit proc and 64 bit windows. Why can't they patch this problem for people who run Win 7???

Hate to be preachy, but you really shouldn't be running Windows 7 anymore on a computer that's connected to the Internet. It hasn't had any security patches in years. Even Windows 10 has less than three years left now.

Most software vendors have stopped supporting Windows 7. If it still works, great, but nobody is going to put out extra effort to fix a Windows 7 compatibility problem.

Thanks. This is not the answer i was hoping for. I do have a 64 bit proc and 64 bit windows. Why can't they patch this problem for people who run Win 7???

Looks like an new computer is going to be in your future. That machine you have is a dinosaur compared to todays H/W... you could probably get a decent Second hand computer for not much money that would run RF Evo just fine.

Looks like an new computer is going to be in your future. That machine you have is a dinosaur compared to todays H/W... you could probably get a decent Second hand computer for not much money that would run RF Evo just fine.
I thought this would a fun way to spend some time when I'm not flying my actual plane but it has been nothing a headache so far. I have a desktop machine with hardware which is more than adequate but for some unknown the devs at Realflight removed support for Win7. I suppose I will have to look around for refurb or similar but I dont like the idea of buying yet another PC.

The dev team probably uses a Microsoft library of some sort which no longer supports Windows 7. Microsoft removed support for Windows 7 in January 2020.

Back