Can't upgrade for free from 9.5S that is absolute BS!

N8LBV

This really is indeed BS.
I bought the 9 /9.5 boxed set with controller knowing that there was an online update to 9.5s when I purchased it.
There was then no indication that the next version (Evolution) would be free if I started out/purchased on 9.5s instead.
This is not cool at all.
I really would have purchased 9.5S on steam instead if I knew this kind of crap/bs was going to be pulled.
I wanted to reward our LHS by purchasing the boxed set (non steam) that they had and then upgrade it.
9.5S was presented as a free update to really benefit not only the user but to benefit Realflight distribution and to get people
switched over to the new distribution system it really did not offer much other or anything new.
Leaving out the fully purchased 9/9.5 This is a big punch in the face to customers that paid for this versus a direct but from 9.5s witch is not really any more of a simulator it added one photo flying site and one plane (Draco) *which was instantly discontinued* (GO Horizon Hobby!) if it added anything else it was not significant or memorable.
The non steam version that I purchased for the same price should have the same free upgrade path if the steam version does.
And anyone else that has fully purchased it on their own is certainly going to agree.

Last edited:
I hear you, I'm in the same boat.

I shelled out $200 at my LHS to get 9.5 with the Interlink DX. I was told that would get me a free license for 9.5S on steam and would include future updates. I am beginning to realize that likely meant ONLY updates to 9.5S, not "upgrades" to new versions. I am wondering if they'll even keep updating 9.5S now that it's old news. Had I known that Evolution was on the way, I would have just bought 9.5S on Steam and purchased the Interlink DX separately.

I'm not quite ready to shell out another $70 on Evolution when I just bought 9.5/9.5S for $100, especially when the general consensus has been no discernable improvement on graphics or physics. It's still running on DirectX 9, which is ancient (came out in 2002). I did read that they are working on updates for that, but I'll definitely wait to see how it works out.

I get it, this is a business and they have to make money. Whenever RealFlight came out with new versions and expansion packs over the years, you had to pay to get them (no free upgrades). It just feels a little scummy that folks that clicked buy on 9.5S via Steam get a free upgrade to Evolution. However, if you chose to support your LHS....you need to fork over $70 to get access.

I'm not in the same boat, but I see your point. I think what HH should really base it on is when you purchased 9.5. If someone purchased 9.5 (new) after 9.5s was released, they should get the free upgrade to evolution just like those that bought 9.5s. If someone purchased 9.5 before 9.5s was released, then it seems like a $30 upgrade cost would be more reasonable (not $70).

I'm not in the same boat, but I see your point. I think what HH should really base it on is when you purchased 9.5. If someone purchased 9.5 (new) after 9.5s was released, they should get the free upgrade to evolution just like those that bought 9.5s. If someone purchased 9.5 before 9.5s was released, then it seems like a $30 upgrade cost would be more reasonable (not $70).
That actually sounds like a very good compromise. I'd be willing to pay $30 to get the Evolution upgrade from 9.5/9.5S.

I understand the frustration...but RF 9.5 came out 2 years ago, and 9 about 3 years ago.....so if there is an issue, it may be more with the LHS who happily sold you an outdated version. Sort of like buying an iPhone 12 at the local electronics mart, and then discovering there was no deal toward getting an iPhone 14......
But yes, it would be more customer forward to base the deal on the original purchase date of 9/9.5...like the old distribution company used to do with prior upgrades to RF.

I understand the frustration...but RF 9.5 came out 2 years ago, and 9 about 3 years ago.....so if there is an issue, it may be more with the LHS who happily sold you an outdated version. Sort of like buying an iPhone 12 at the local electronics mart, and then discovering there was no deal toward getting an iPhone 14......
But yes, it would be more customer forward to base the deal on the original purchase date of 9/9.5...like the old distribution company used to do with prior upgrades to RF.
Realflight anything is an outdated version. Evolution is just an additional add-on pack with planes and fields that I don't use. I have been happy using 8.5 HHedition and installed evolution and keeps giving me a dll error and won't run. Will try at home on a different computer. Outdated graphics engine causing multiple problems on newer systems. I.E. newer then 3 years old.

Realflight anything is an outdated version. Evolution is just an additional add-on pack with planes and fields that I don't use. I have been happy using 8.5 HHedition and installed evolution and keeps giving me a dll error and won't run. Will try at home on a different computer. Outdated graphics engine causing multiple problems on newer systems. I.E. newer then 3 years old.
I'm afraid it is actually the outdated operating system (Windows 7) on your computer that is unhappy with the newest part of our graphics rendering.

More info here.

I am not talking about my work computer which still uses Windows 7, my home computer uses Win11 and AMD 5800x processor and rtx1080gt and runs Evolution. It will not run on our better work computers that run new intel processors and radeon 5700xt that do not support dx9. Dx9 is over 20 years old and support for it is dropping from manufactures and operating systems.

This was listed on steam when I purchased.
System
Requirements Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system OS: Windows 7, 8, or 10 Processor: Dual-Core 2.4 GHz Processor or better Memory: 2 GB RAM Graphics: 3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory DirectX: Version 9.0 Storage: 10 GB available space

There were definitely problems for a while with older driver versions where AMD broke DirectX9 support. As far as we're aware, though, current AMD drivers--including for the 5700 you mentioned--should work with RealFlight Evolution. Have you made sure they are up to date?

Nobody is going to argue with you about DX9 being old. We're working on an update, but it's not there yet.

Please see your thread on this topic for more info about Windows 7.

I am not talking about my work computer which still uses Windows 7, my home computer uses Win11 and AMD 5800x processor and rtx1080gt and runs Evolution. It will not run on our better work computers that run new intel processors and radeon 5700xt that do not support dx9. Dx9 is over 20 years old and support for it is dropping from manufactures and operating systems.
Ryan was being very nice.

But...you knew that the system had to be able to run DX9 before buying....but also knew that the video card (at least at that time) did not support it.....???

Ryan was being very nice.

But...you knew that the system had to be able to run DX9 before buying....but also knew that the video card (at least at that time) did not support it.....???
It also stated that it would run on Windows 7 and does not. I didn't know that some of the systems had dropped dx9 support until installing and searching different forums. My main reason for evolution purchase was it portability so I could run it at work during lunch.
Ryan is nice! And I have never attacked anyone on any forum so your statement is not appropriate.

Back