Coaxial Heli Help Request

phrank

This is a plea to Knife Edge or any others who've done coaxial helis (nemo_uk?)

I'm ready to try to convert my model to KEX, but although I can follow the posted heli tutorial for KeMax, I am baffled as to how to define my parts as a coaxial heli.

How do I name my Top and Lower rotor parts being that now I have 2 Hubs?
See the attached picture, I understand the white annotations, but not the yellow area.

Any feedback will be appreciated,
Frank...

Attachments

• CX2_parts.jpg
    CX2_parts.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 69
Hi Frank,

I've attached an image of the naming and hierarchy of the twister bell. To get an idea what to call all the bits I'd take another look at the helicopter tutorial in conjunction with the list.

Just to let you know you don't need to model the blades and flybar weights. These are added by G3.5.

To get my twister flying i did the following ...

1. import my twisterbell.kex into g3
2. edit the twisterbell in G3 and save the edit as twisteredit (this creates a file called twisteredit.plng3 in C:\Program Files\RealFlightG3\Planes)
3. select the Axe EZ and edit it saving the edit as axe_ez_edit
4. close G3
5. open the axe_ez_edit.plng3 (C:\Program Files\RealFlightG3\Planes) in notepad
6. change the line BasedOn=o:\rfv3\image\planes\Heli-Max Axe EZ.bse to BasedOn=twisterbell (this is the name of your kex file BTW)
7. save the edited axe_ez_edit.plng3 file as twisteredit.plng3
8. load G3 and select twisterbell

this copies the flight characteristics across but you still have to do a bit of tweaking, scale etc.

regards,

Tony

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 47
While we're at it:
is it just me or is the Twister Bell moving diagonally when it shoud move only forward?
I know it worked once, but I guess since 3.50.044 it behaves strangely.
I even downloaded the model again from the swap pages and imported it over the old one, but no change.

yep, something weird going on there :eek: The Axe EZ is ok so it looks like there is something strange happening with the twister. Thanks for pointing it out.

Excellent information Tony, that will help greatly in completing the model!

Everytime I see this type of collaboration, it reafirms my belief why Realflight is the best in the industry.

Frank...

Today was encouraging, I'm glad to see the model import into Realflight after
much trial and error.
For some reason it's complaining about ~CS_RIGHTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT, ~CS_LEFTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT
Occasionally I get a hard Crash.

I think I still need to look at how I'm naming the Hubs, although they
match with the example given.

Need to work on on the Blur mesh too.

Maybe solved this weekend.

Attachments

• CX2_Industrial.jpg
    CX2_Industrial.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 40
  • CX2_Athletic.jpg
    CX2_Athletic.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 40
For some reason it's complaining about ~CS_RIGHTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT, ~CS_LEFTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT

Error message from G3.5 or error message from the .kex - exporter?

phrank said:
Today was encouraging, I'm glad to see the model import into Realflight after
much trial and error.
Occasionally I get a hard Crash.

I think I still need to look at how I'm naming the Hubs, although they
match with the example given.

Need to work on on the Blur mesh too.

Maybe solved this weekend.

Hi Frank,

The ~CS_RIGHTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT, ~CS_LEFTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT are point helper objects in 3DS max. I think the requirement for them was added after the tutorial was written (they are not linked to any other objects BTW)

regards,

Tony

Attachments

• point.jpg
    point.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 27
OK, that makes more sense. Can they can be any object like a sphere or cylinder at those 4 points?
Also, I don't have 3ds max and as such I cannot view the Example Heli from KEMax as it is a .max file. Is this available anywhere as a 3ds file?
Thanks,
Frank...

phrank,
It looks great , I am looking forward to downloading and getting some training time in since i have had the real thing for only a week.

Model is Done!
I found out the hard way that 3ds is not suitable for making Helicopters along with 3DS2KEX, due to the following:
* Heli's have very long object names, this does not lend itself well 3DS format
which has 10 character limitation.
* Dummy and Point helpers are not available in the 3d modeling program that I use. These are critical in for a succesful import into Realflight.

I resorted to 3ds Max Trial and KEMAX plug-in to complete the model.

However:
There is one bug that I found that is making Realflight Crash.
When paddle offset is at -35 Degrees, it will make realflight fail if:
Shutdown Simulator with Coax Heli loaded.
Re-start Realflight.

I lost all weekend debugging this simple problem. I do not know if this is specific to my system or not. So unless you are Knife-edge, don't do this to yourself.

Frank...

Looks good Phrank! When will the model be on the swap pages? Also, do you think you're going to attack a Blade CP project next?
Thanks,
BladeCP02

Yes,
CX2 is undergoing testing before release.
As promised, Blade CP PRO is next, I should be done before my trial runs out on 3ds MAX. :)

Frank...

Phrank-
AWESOME! That Blade CX2 looks like it will be fun to fly ... and a Blade CP PRO is even better than a normal BCP! Just make sure to have both the silver and yellow canopies :).

I will be eagerly awaiting the Blade CPP that should be PHENOMENAL, considering the fact that the BCX2 looks exceptional!

-BladeCP02

just so you all know, the beta is fantastic. Frank you REALLY outdid yourself.

I did notice however that there is some really bright red points on the bottom of the heli body. coloring maybe? other than that it flies perfect. great job! -Tim

Good catch Tim.
The Normals are flipped on those faces of the model. Oooops!
I'll fix it tonight...

Tony Elms said:
yep, something weird going on there :eek: The Axe EZ is ok so it looks like there is something strange happening with the twister. Thanks for pointing it out.

I find that both the Twister and the Axe EZ have the same diagonal motion problem, and today I found something that appears to fix this. The upper rotor in both these models has both cyclic deflections set to zero, which seems correct since it is controlled by the flybar. However, if you set them to similar values as the lower rotor, the bird flies straight with full cyclic input, in whatever direction you point it.

This also increases the cyclic response, so some tuning is indicated. Perhaps instead of 5.0 for both upper and lower, something like 4 on lower and 3 on upper might work better.

This may not be the correct way to fix it but I thought it might be a clue as to what is going on.

William

Tony Elms said:
Hi Frank,

The ~CS_RIGHTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT, ~CS_LEFTSKID_GC_BACK, FRONT are point helper objects in 3DS max. I think the requirement for them was added after the tutorial was written (they are not linked to any other objects BTW)

regards,

Tony
What is the reason for the helpers?Do they affect how the skids react with the ground?I am only asking as i am making the Scorpion from Avatar and am brushing up on heli setups.Any advice with the setup of the Counter-rotating blades is welcome

They are not very well documented, but it's rumored that they are "Ground Contact" points.

Back