Designing Airports - Tips and Tricks

You want even MORE content? :eek:
There is no shortage of content at the swaps, you guys are doing a fine job. :p

We appreciate the hard work.

Jeff is right, you are already getting the best crack.

Plus, there is a dirty little secret... :eek:

off topic... Photofields, yeah, we were talking about the old dude's Photofield. :D

Actually, I just checked out Phranks files in his profile and he has shared some of his airport work. I have flown both in the past and they were very nice. I need to get those in 6 for a test flight. 2007 is when he shared them and also when I joined this site.

So what do you guys think about the ball field. I haven't flown there in a couple years. It's a little used place but you'll notice a walking trail around the perimeter that sometimes can cause major delays if someone shows up and makes about ten laps. I quit flying there after that girl got hit in the head with a heli in a near by park a while back that of course made national news. It's a great spot though and there are no safety concerns in RF. I think I'm going to go out see what I can find in a pano head on the cheap. Do I need the leveling device or can leveling be done with a torpedo level on the cheap?

Last edited:
I have been flying a much less than perfect panoramic picture for a couple of years. I have only had the Ninja for a couple of months now. It took me three photo shoots to get things nailed down. I got the unrestricted version of PTIGUI last week or so. So it is only recently that I have a really nice representation of my home field. I am in the process of adding all the depth buffers and other stuff now.

Like fine wine... it is aging.. I have lots of good ideas, but ideas are worthless without the time and effort it takes to bring to completion.

td9cowboy said:
Nooner, where are your creations? Those would be helpful as a learning tool. I promise I won't fly on them. Ya right. ;)

12oclockhigh said:
I have been flying a much less than perfect panoramic picture for a couple of years. I have only had the Ninja for a couple of months now. It took me three photo shoots to get things nailed down. I got the unrestricted version of PTIGUI last week or so. So it is only recently that I have a really nice representation of my home field. I am in the process of adding all the depth buffers and other stuff now.

Like fine wine... it is aging.. I have lots of good ideas, but ideas are worthless without the time and effort it takes to bring to completion.
What was causing you problems on the first two shoots? Not enough overlap,lighting issues, focus?

Parallax problems.... having the software try and stitch clear air space together. Number of rows, number of pictures to take. Time of day. Too much wind. Clouds passing too quickly. Too many people. I have had them all cause problems. It is not as easy as you think.

I found that if I took portrait photos with the top of the bottom row being the horizon, and the bottom of the top row being the horizon... the software did a good job of rotating and then stitching the images together and gave me 97.341% of what I needed.

td9cowboy said:
What was causing you problems on the first two shoots? Not enough overlap,lighting issues, focus?

Last edited:
Those pano heads are a little pricey. What model of the Nodal Ninja are you guys using and was it sufficient?

It looks like I have the same problem. The lug is offset about a half inch from the center of the lens. That will require the adapter? How many shots were required with your camera for one complete rotation (number of detentes)? Our cameras seem to be of a similar design. You can get the complete coverage with only two rows of shots in portrait mode top to bottom?

Last edited:
I go every other detent.. or about 30 degrees per picture. 12 pictures per row. 2 rows. The lower row, I try to get the horizon at the very top of the picture. For the Upper row, I try to get the horizon at the bottom of the frame.

This seems to work for the stitching software. Very hard to stitch when all you have is blue sky. For my first work, I tried not to do a cloudy sky as they are moving constantly.

How do you get the straight down shots? The USAF Museum from EP1 amazes me. I don't see any stitching. How'd they hide the tripod?

jeffpn said:
How do you get the straight down shots? The USAF Museum from EP1 amazes me. I don't see any stitching. How'd they hide the tripod?
The position ismarked and the head allows the camera to swivel out away from the tripod but maintains the height. Then the tripod is moved so the camera looks straight down at the mark then the mark is moved so the shot can be taken.

I downloaded the trial stitching software yesterday and just attached my camera directly to the tripod with no ninja in the back yard. I learned a lot and I was able to get the back yard into RF. It's not perfect by any means, but I learned a lot. There are tons of stuff to run into in this tight space and it's quite a puzzle to piece together the primitives so you can't fly through stuff. My home field is surrounded by trees on three sides and will probably need a half mile of fifty foot tall wall. :eek:

Back