• Yes

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

kikasshes

Will there be a digital release of the software only version? It would be nice to be able to just buy the game online and download it to the computer.

Seriously why would anybody vote no on this?
Especially if there would still be a boxed set available as well?
I personally don't use the box or the disk EVER and don't really prefer to pay for the cost to make them.

I have all my purchased disks saved as images and backed up well.
And I've been doing that since around 2003.
Today having to get to a disk that I purchased years ago is extremely inconvenient versus
pulling it off a local or remote file server.

Just strange to me that there's be so many votes no without even asking any questions about it.
I don't understand where those minds are.

Seriously why would anybody vote no on this?
Especially if there would still be a boxed set available as well?
I personally don't use the box or the disk EVER and don't really prefer to pay for the cost to make them.

I have all my purchased disks saved as images and backed up well.
And I've been doing that since around 2003.
Today having to get to a disk that I purchased years ago is extremely inconvenient versus
pulling it off a local or remote file server.

Just strange to me that there's be so many votes no without even asking any questions about it.
I don't understand where those minds are.

1. Piracy
  2. People downloading the software only version when they have no interlink
  3. RF current anti piracy measure is the interlink and not requireing the interlink would require DRM. And DRM is eventaully broken and then it is free for everyone

Piracy? Really? How would selling it only on disc prevent piracy?
Now really, as you need to register anyway with serial numbers etc. to get updates, there is (and was) absolutely no need for physical media. It just makes the product more expensive and reduces the profit for KE.

I already said it many, many years ago and it's still true: especially for people outside the US, offering online versions would make the product easier to get and cheaper and thus effectively reduce piracy.

I.e. instead of just stopping to sell the old expansion packs (which is a lose-lose situation), they could be sold online for a fair price and everybody would be happy.
It could be so easy to earn some money, but KE just refuses to do so.

I believe it is because of contractual arrangements with Tower Hobbies, Great Planes ...
Product shipped before DRM and they are comfortable with that arrangement.
In whole scheme of things, it is nice to order something and anticipate the delivery.
Kind of like waiting for Christmas. (And never getting a Shiney Fire Truck ��)
To me, just not a big issue.

If you want a big issue, why not fight for the rights of designers to sell their aircraft. Where is the eco system to allow all boats to float higher? That is worth getting fired up.

Last edited:
They need to put it on Steam...!!!

I'm 60 years old, and buy some various games and simulators occasionally, and I always prefer getting them from Steam. If I loose my hard drive or SSD, just replace it and load an OS, then download your applications from Steam. Works great, and they maintain the latest updates for all of the applications. If the manufacturer updates, then so does Steam. A great service..!!

Keep you disc, box, inventory, shipping, distributor, wholesaler. All I need is the 0s and 1s to run the program. I asked Phoenix a while ago why they didn't do this as well and their response was that the cost of setup and support of online distribution wasn't justified. I would assume the same applies here. It would probably also annoy the distributor if buyers could get it without them getting a cut. I believe Great Planes is an exclusive distributor and online sales would certainly cut into that. They still need a display and boxes on the shelves at hobby stores to get their product into the hands of new buyers.

Arguments about piracy are not educated responses; I mean no offense. DRM simply does not work and only serves to make things more difficult for real customers. Software pirates will always crack and share whatever software they want whether it is digitally distributed or via real media.

The annoyance here is my main gaming PC that I'll run RF8 on doesn't even _have_ a CD/DVD drive; the only spinning devices in the system are the fans.

-j

Let me decrypt the below statement for everyone.
If you don't agree with me, you are stupid; I mean no offense because I called you stupid.

Arguments about piracy are not educated responses; I mean no offense.

Arguments about piracy are not educated responses; I mean no offense. DRM simply does not work and only serves to make things more difficult for real customers. Software pirates will always crack and share whatever software they want whether it is digitally distributed or via real media.

The annoyance here is my main gaming PC that I'll run RF8 on doesn't even _have_ a CD/DVD drive; the only spinning devices in the system are the fans.

-j

Your right standard drm does not work. You know what does work for anti piracy, requireing a specific input device aka the interlink. And you know what Digital only releases mean no effective drm or no new customers.

As far as not dvd drive.... go get a usb plug in dvd reader

1. Piracy
  2. People downloading the software only version when they have no interlink
  3. RF current anti piracy measure is the interlink and not requireing the interlink would require DRM. And DRM is eventaully broken and then it is free for everyone

Your right standard drm does not work. You know what does work for anti piracy, requireing a specific input device aka the interlink. And you know what Digital only releases mean no effective drm or no new customers.

I take my past comments back....sort of

Any of these troll for pirates would be amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU8QS-pS_oA or making your engine shut off is 1 mph airspeed was obtained and the control when unresponceive like the ~mach 3 shutdown in 7.5

-j
It sounds like you have more than one PC, and I'm guessing you have an internal network. Share the DVD drive on another PC, map your gaming machine to use it, and install over the network. No need for a DVD drive in your gaming machine.

You apparently haven't done a quick ebay search. I don't know whether they reverse engineer or have a thief in the Chinese plant where the hardware is made but they are out there. It is pretty hard, I would say impossible, to pirate from steam.

You can create a ISO image of the disc on a computer with a DVD drive and mount that for installation. It's not a bad idea to make one so you have a backup copy if your original goes bad. You can always burn a new DVD from the ISO file also.

Be sure to keep a copy of your serial number and also the registration password you created too.

You apparently haven't done a quick ebay search. I don't know whether they reverse engineer or have a thief in the Chinese plant where the hardware is made but they are out there. It is pretty hard, I would say impossible, to pirate from steam.

Actually steam releases are very easy to pirate, most current game torrents are steam
Installations with cracked steam dlls

Don't programs need to check in with steam first and if you don't have it in your account it stops at the load? I know there is an offline mode but they still load steam first and I thought they had to check for a legit library entry first.
Either way hardware hacks are so openly sold many people don't even know they are from thieves.

Last edited:
Don't programs need to check in with steam first and if you don't have it in your account it stops at the load? I know there is an offline mode but they still load steam first and I thought they had to check for a legit library entry first.
Either way hardware hacks are so openly sold many people don't even know they are from thieves.

no, because with the cracked dlls it allows the program to run without logging into steam. The actual normal install of steam is never run, just the cracked one that works with the game.

All copy protection is pretty much useless at this point. The advantage with RF is that since its niche product it doesn't come up on the radar to software pirates to begin with. I imagine they are much more concerned about cracking the latest assassins creed than RF.

I understand why they protect it, it does keep casual piracy from happening.

Funny thing about piracy. I purchased a set of cables to connect my TX to my interlink from a well known Chinese website for RC parts. I only wanted the cables, and with the cables was a little USB adapter, and a CD with a cracked Chinese version of Realflight 4.5 and the Phoenix sim! all for the price of 3 dollars. The adapter and the CD were not in the parts description of what I was purchasing, I guess it was a freebie. I still have the Adapter,and the cracked version of the software in a drawer. I used the cable for a couple years as it worked flawlessly on my interlink.

There is now a Digital Download available for the software on the Tower Hobbies website. I purchased it, but haven't received the link and Serial Number yet.

I'm curious how the rebate will work since there is no real invoice or box to take a UPC code from. I plan to submit a copy of the email (probably blank the serial number out for the new version), and see what happens. Tower had the rebate shown on the page so I expect they need to honor it.

Back