Do you have RF9 (or 8) and Oculus Rift S?

Ray10

I have RF 8 & 9, and while I enjoy and learn using the sims, I'm lured by the idea of being able to look around similar to a real field experience.

Ocolus suggests I need a GTX 1660 or equal to replace my GTX 750Ti. That's $225 or so, and Rift S another $400 I think, which ain't chicken feed:rolleyes: to me.

So, those members who have and use this, in your opinion is it a worthwhile investment?

Thanks,
Ray

I have RF8 (RF9 on order) and in VR it works pretty well but the VR quality compared to many other more modern VR games/apps is pretty poor imho. Probably in part due to it still being built on a very old DX9 graphics engine.

Just my opinion but I would not recommend getting into VR solely based on RF8/9. If you want to get into VR for other reasons then having RF8/9 to play with in VR would be a bonus.

If you want to get into VR you need a very strong gaming PC. Minimum specs are going to give you poor, minimal VR results imho. To get good results I think you need a good cpu (say i7 7700K or better) and gpu (gtx1080 or better, rtx2070 or better), and at least 16Gb ram. If you do the sums, together with the Rift S you are probably looking at +$1,000. Like you say, ain't chicken feed, lol!

I have RF 8 & 9, and while I enjoy and learn using the sims, I'm lured by the idea of being able to look around similar to a real field experience.

Ocolus suggests I need a GTX 1660 or equal to replace my GTX 750Ti. That's $225 or so, and Rift S another $400 I think, which ain't chicken feed:rolleyes: to me.

So, those members who have and use this, in your opinion is it a worthwhile investment?

Thanks,
Ray

Absolutely go for it! I'm a long time RF user and got the Rift CV1 mainly for RC practice. Well worth it... I haven't flown on a flat screen since. VR bridges the gap between real flying and sim practice.

Low resolution is definitley an issue but this has nothing to do with Realflight, and will only be solved by next-gen headsets. There are a number available today, including a new Rift.

As to computer hardware I have a mediocre system which handles it pretty well.
- i7 2600k
- 16gb ram
- gtx1070

I drop down to 45fps sometimes in multiplayer which is annoying but still flyable. If I had it to do again, I'd definitely go with a 1080ti or better.

I have RF8 (RF9 on order) and in VR it works pretty well but the VR quality compared to many other more modern VR games/apps is pretty poor imho. Probably in part due to it still being built on a very old DX9 graphics engine.

Just my opinion but I would not recommend getting into VR solely based on RF8/9. If you want to get into VR for other reasons then having RF8/9 to play with in VR would be a bonus.

If you want to get into VR you need a very strong gaming PC. Minimum specs are going to give you poor, minimal VR results imho. To get good results I think you need a good cpu (say i7 7700K or better) and gpu (gtx1080 or better, rtx2070 or better), and at least 16Gb ram. If you do the sums, together with the Rift S you are probably looking at +$1,000. Like you say, ain't chicken feed, lol!

Tom C is spot on in my opinion. The Dx9 based RF9 does not give the best VR experience. I use Aerofly RC8 for a VR sim and I thinkmTom C put me into it. You can just download the software and it works with all
The controllers from RealFlight up to the Interlink X. It should work
With the new Dx series but I have not got mine yet to test.

I like RF9 for flat screen and it has better models than RC8 but it seems these days you can’t get everything in one sim so I just accept you need different sims depending on what you are doing . RFX nearly got there and looked really good as it was offering the RealFlight physics and dx12 but it’s been binned for more of dx9 ...

I have a Valve Index and a 1080ti. Frame rate is fine. Plane detail is blurry and gets worse at range. Then there's the shimmering edge issue that I've seen in other games like No Mans Sky and Everspace.

Tom C is spot on in my opinion. The Dx9 based RF9 does not give the best VR experience. I use Aerofly RC8 for a VR sim and I thinkmTom C put me into it. You can just download the software and it works with all
The controllers from RealFlight up to the Interlink X. It should work
With the new Dx series but I have not got mine yet to test.

I like RF9 for flat screen and it has better models than RC8 but it seems these days you can’t get everything in one sim so I just accept you need different sims depending on what you are doing . RFX nearly got there and looked really good as it was offering the RealFlight physics and dx12 but it’s been binned for more of dx9 ...

Ya, sorry to hear that there are NO improvements in VR with RF9. I kinda thought that was going to be the case. Does that include no water rendering and night sky banding in VR as well?

Oh well, maybe at least the new Interlink DX controller will be worthwhile (probably not that big a deal and sounds like some switches are not even in the right places for mode 2). Hopefully my RF9 combo will get here in a few more days so I guess I will find out soon. At +$A 330.00 this is going to be the most expensive controller I have ever bought, lol!

Like you I seem to need 3-4 simulators these days. RF8/9 for flat screen RC practice (best heli physics), Aerofly RC8 for VR (better than RFX but kinda pricey imho), X-Plane 11 in VR for 'real' flight simulation, Ultrawings for quick VR fixes with my Oculus Go.

BTW, Aerofly RC8 now has a Vulcan graphics beta available (you need to edit the config file to make vulcan = true). Works great for me with my nice new gaming desktop PC (i9 9900k, gtx1080ti) and the latest Vulcan drivers (from nvidia). Better rendering (esp. water) and slightly better performance. X-Plane 11 should also get Vulcan support later this year or early 2020 and this should help further improve its VR performance.

Sorry Stringfellow but imho anyone who buys into VR solely based on RF8/9 is wasting their time and $'s. Maybe future releases (RF10?) will be based on a better graphics engine, who knows? Better VR headsets that may come out in the near future will not make any differences with the current RF8/9 VR performance imho. Unfortunately Knife Edge does not appear to be doing much development work these days. Maybe due to HH budget constraints? Very disappointing.

I have a Valve Index and a 1080ti. Frame rate is fine. Plane detail is blurry and gets worse at range. Then there's the shimmering edge issue that I've seen in other games like No Mans Sky and Everspace.

You probably need to play with Super Sampling a bit to help improve this. I ended up with SS= 1.70 with my Oculus Rift cv1 and still can maintain 90fps in VR. Refer to this post for details on how to do this with RF8 (probably the same with RF9);

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=33470

Better VR headsets that may come out in the near future will not make any differences with the current RF8/9 VR performance imho.

How could higher resolution & fov headsets NOT make a difference with Realflight?

If you have the graphics card to push more pixels in VR, a better headset would make a huge difference in RF... right?

How could higher resolution & fov headsets NOT make a difference with Realflight?

If you have the graphics card to push more pixels in VR, a better headset would make a huge difference in RF... right?

Ya, I can see why you would think that would be the case but unfortunately RF8/9 are still directx 9.0 based so VR graphics/resolution are pretty limited. Adding a little super sampling helps (I'm now using 1.80 SS) but the results are still pretty so-so.

Maybe RF can improve their VR engine in the near future but I would not hold your breath waiting for this. I'm frankly a little disappointed that there was zero VR improvements with RF9.

The now discontinued RFX was directx 11.0 based and it's VR graphics were much better but unfortunately you needed a super computer to take advantage of this, lol!

I'm frankly a little disappointed that there was zero VR improvements with RF9.

Absolutely agree. RF9 is an Expansion Pack and should cost $35 and shouldn't fragment multiplayer further. More models & fields. Nothing to do with the core program... at all.

I really enjoy VR in 8. But there are some improvements needed...
- Nametags swim around un-attached to pilots.
- Stability issues.
- Better menu interface needed. Jumping in and out of VR crashes RF.

But I worry that development has stopped and g8 is the last true generation we will see.

Personally I think there are s few improvements with RF9. The heli physics seem a bit better and my VR performance is up slightly. I am able to increase my SS from 1.65 to 1.80 and still maintain 90 FPS. I don’t have the HH version or rf8 addon so all those Safe aircraft are kinda fun to try out.

By far the biggest improvement is the new Spektrum Interlink DX controller. To me, this alone was worth the cost of the RF9 combo. I’m sure many will wince at the cost though.

Personally I think there are s few improvements with RF9. The heli physics seem a bit better and my VR performance is up slightly. I am able to increase my SS from 1.65 to 1.80 and still maintain 90 FPS.

This is the absolute first I've heard of any physics changes or VR improvements. These do interest me... 'cause I fly 3d helis in VR.

Maybe I should take another look. Still sounds like something more akin to an EP or .5 version... but knowing me, I'll end up with it.

Maybe I should take another look. Still sounds like something more akin to an EP or .5 version... but knowing me, I'll end up with it.

Yep give it a go it seems these days everything is such a small iteration improvement on the last....

The VR is awful in RF9 compared to other sims so you need to dial the graphic down and it goes a bit bland but it makes it smooth.

Physics feels real and I give it 8/10 for that and 3 out of 10 for VR compare to RC8 which is 8/10 for VR and 5/10 for heli physics.

Value for money is still RF9 but if you want to makle the wallet hurt get RC8 and have it all.

Value for money is still RF9 but if you want to makle the wallet hurt get RC8 and have it all.

I've never tried Ikarus. Realflight heli 3d physics seem spot on. Does RC8 feel the same?

Edit: Whoops sorry, I see you already answered.

Last edited:
I've never tried Ikarus. Realflight heli 3d physics seem spot on. Does RC8 feel the same?

I have both and while I still think that RF9 heli physics are slightly better than Aerofly RC8, there really is not a lot in it. As far as VR goes, Aerofly RC8 wins hands down imho. I'm still very glad that I have both, including the new Interlink DX controller.

I have both and while I still think that RF9 heli physics are slightly better than Aerofly RC8, there really is not a lot in it.

Not alot in RC8? As in a barebones sim?

How's the multiplayer... lots of pilots? Any heli pilots? Lol... not many of us heli pilots on RF multi these days. Total plank & drone world.

How's the editor? I've never seen anything like the RF editor. I've tried Phoenix, NeXt and AccuRC. All those editors are 'clownshoes' compared to RF.

You've already told me the most important part... that the heli physics aren't up to scratch. But somehow I'm still curious. I'd get the demo, but that's just one trainer airplane which is just to see if the machine will run it.

Thanks for your opinions.

I have RC7 Ultimate. The heli physics are unlike any other sim. I find them the most difficult to fly of the all ones I have installed. From what I've heard RC8 is out but kinda still under development and fixes.

Back