Does VR work well in RealFlight 10?

Never noticed any screen door using my Quest 2, so with the 3 and it's better resolution, it should be better. Just don't expect it to be much more than it currently is.

Just started using a Quest 3 with Realflight v8 via a Syntech 16' link cable... usb3 A to Quest usbC port.

i72600k
16gb ram
gtx 1070

Well, it works. It seems to be marginally clearer. And surprisingly seems to run with less ghosting in VR multiplayer by maintaining a higher fps. With my original Oculus Rift CV1, it would drop below 45fps creating trailing ghosts. I figured a higher res would probably drag the fps down, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.
- While it's perhaps slightly clearer (most noticeable at distance), it also shows the jaggies in sharper relief. I was never bothered much by aliasing in the Rift, probably because the screen door effect obsured most of it. But now it's kind of glaring.
- Also, colors are very washed out. Reflections on the heli canopy are less realistic because the colors are all so light to begin with.
- There's no input lag, so control is totally unaffected. That's good.
- I haven't tried tweeking anything so far. I've just gotten it working and flown. Normal maps off.

I have not gotten the pass-thru cameras to work during RF. I've got to fix this because in order to access the menus, I have to lift it up and peek thru the nose area. Pass-thru function on the Quest 3 might be BARELY adequate for reading screen text anyway.
** It would be a very great improvement if menus in RF could appear as VR screens while in VR... possible in a future release???

If I discover any improvements for RF, I'll post here.

Anyone else doing RF on the Quest 3?

I’m, new to Vr. How do I setup evolution with meta quest 3? Thanks and any help would be appreciated
I have the Quest(Meta)2; however it should be about the same. Go to Steam (app) and launch RFE from there; a menu will pop up to ask you if you want to run VR mode using Steam or Oculus. I use Oculus Airlink to connect rather than using the included USB-C cable. After you have selected either option both Oculus app and RFE will launch placing you in VR mode. Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions. Cheers!

Quest2 user here. So far the biggest let down using VR in RFE is the lack of Anti-Aliasing in RFE which makes the models appear very jaggy (aliasin) at the distance (not too far). I have used other methods to introduce post anti-aliasing using ReShade software but only works in 2D and not in VR. The plus in being in VR is the depth perception you get from it, giving you a sense of scale of the models that is far superior than a flat (2D) screen.

Quest2 user here. So far the biggest let down using VR in RFE is the lack of Anti-Aliasing in RFE which makes the models appear very jaggy (aliasin) at the distance (not too far). I have used other methods to introduce post anti-aliasing using ReShade software but only works in 2D and not in VR. The plus in being in VR is the depth perception you get from it, giving you a sense of scale of the models that is far superior than a flat (2D) screen.
Totally agree. I've played with the anti-aliasing settings in the Nvidia control panel. From none to 8x... nothing makes the slightest difference in VR. All models are VERY jaggy.
I did try Virtual Desktop, but it behaved strangely...
- RF was gone from my Oculus library altogether. Just missing. Whaaahh?
- Did launch thru the desktop and after some cursing, got it to work.
- ** There is a definite conflict between Virtual Desktop and my Malwarebytes Premium.
- Colors were very much more saturated. Yay!
- Frame rates never got above 36. No bueno. Can maintain 72 with the cable.

So I abandonded wireless for RF. Got to have a cable for the Interlink anyway. Now I'm wondering if the new DirectX11 will make any difference.

I purchased Realflight Evolution last year to improve my flying with the idea of using VR goggles at some time. I bought the Meta (Oculus) 3 at Christmas and was keen to check out the VR. I have a 2 year old Acer Aspire A515-56G with an NVIDIA GeForce MX450. On trying to connect Oculus Link, via either Bluetooth or cable, I get an error message saying my video card is not compatible. Anyone else had this problem?

I purchased Realflight Evolution last year to improve my flying with the idea of using VR goggles at some time. I bought the Meta (Oculus) 3 at Christmas and was keen to check out the VR. I have a 2 year old Acer Aspire A515-56G with an NVIDIA GeForce MX450. On trying to connect Oculus Link, via either Bluetooth or cable, I get an error message saying my video card is not compatible. Anyone else had this problem?
I think that GPU is not supported to run VR; I may be wrong though. Running VR from a PC depending on the software being ran in VR may need a good GPU that can support rendering the image on additional 2 screens @ 2064×2208 each (Meta3). Have you played other PC games in VR using your Meta3?

@wissyfly, what is the exact and complete message you get from RealFlight?

I'm guessing your laptop is attempting to render RealFlight and VR using a different graphics adapters. Typically the fix for this is to install graphics drivers from your laptop manufacturer. They have special code for switching between GPUs and routing the signal to the right place.

Upon further review, and with the assistance of a couple of my coworkers who know more about the details in this area, it seems the problem is most likely that your MX450 is simply insufficient for VR. In fact, it is likely the third-party VR software telling you your card is incompatible, not RealFlight itself.

Unfortunately, you will probably need a higher performance PC if you want to do any form of VR (RealFlight or not).

It would be a very great improvement if menus in RF could appear as VR screens while in VR... possible in a future release???
The new Evolution menu system is compatible with VR and is expected to render properly. Is that not appearing or otherwise not working somehow? If so, that would be a bug.

For technical reasons the MFC menus will never work in VR.

Upon further review, and with the assistance of a couple of my coworkers who know more about the details in this area, it seems the problem is most likely that your MX450 is simply insufficient for VR. In fact, it is likely the third-party VR software telling you your card is incompatible, not RealFlight itself.

Unfortunately, you will probably need a higher performance PC if you want to do any form of VR (RealFlight or not).
Thanks for your help Ryan, I think that the card is just not powerful enough to cope with VR so I will just have to continue using the PC.

Back