Douglas DC-3/C-47 Skytrain

More detail was added to the rear wheel assembly. The rear wheel well was cut. This is fiddly work that without the proboolean stuff showed to me by Boof would have been very very much more difficult. Likewise Jeff's photos have also been invaluable because the 3 views I have just don't have the detail/are wrong in this area. Triangles are at 5736.

Attachments

• RearWheelWell001.jpg
    RearWheelWell001.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 15
More detail finished on the rear wheel assembly. I'll probably call this good enough for now until I see how many triangles I have left when done (well I can dream. Maybe they'll up the limit). Triangles are currently at 5958.

Attachments

• RearWheelAssembly001.jpg
    RearWheelAssembly001.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 17
Here is a screen grab of the front wheels I just whipped up. Triangles are at 7784.

Attachments

• FrontWheels001.jpg
    FrontWheels001.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 19
It seams life has been in the way of both of our projects. Progress is slow but sure. Looks good MR.

I've had a huge data entry job for one of my other hobbies (astronomy). I've been entering all my log books into the computer. Fortunately, the end is in sight.

Here is a start at the front landing gear. Triangles are now 8224.

Attachments

• WheelAssembly001.jpg
    WheelAssembly001.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 20
Your like the little train that could. You keep chuggin along slowly but surely. I like it!

Last edited:
Thanks Boof.

Now I just need to figure out exactly how this landing gear folded. I'm starting with that easy piece I did because that clearly just pivots around where it attaches in the back. But the front part could fold forward or backward. I think it probably folds forward for mechanical reasons (so it won't accidently collapse upon landing), but I'm not sure of that.

Douglas CD-3/C-47 Skytrain

She's looking GREAT, another home run, outa da park!!! Take a look at this, it's the main gear for the Top Flite DC-3 by Robart and in the model' it works flawlessly. Hope it helps explain how the gear works. Thank you for considering my request.

Last edited:
Static Prop Planes with Props

I have been trying to figure out how to put Propeppers on static prop driven planes for some time. Doug has been kind enough to give us a static version of his Rascal, with a prop, and provided me with info as to how I go about creating my own propellers. Now, how in the world do you get them on the front enn of a plane??? Look at the enclosed SS, it is very clear that all those prop circles would look MUCH better as Props. I can spend days looking through the forums and have yet to find out how to static props on static planes and have gone as far as requesting the static plane from the builder, Doug and Madratter, have been very agreeable with this. How about anyone who builds new prop planes for us to enjoy, do the same, People are making more APs than in the past, and I for one have SEVERAL spots all ready picked out for MRs DC-3/C-47 and Boof's A-10 has a parking place, as well as a waiting line for people to fly these works of art.
I can create the static plane, my props are coming along, so how can I get them togather so my APs are complete???

Last edited:
The only way to get those props on static planes is for them to be placed during modeling. It would be hard on several of my models for me to provide propellers because they are already at the poly limit without a prop. The Macchi for instance just wouldn't easily allow me to do this.
To be more to the point...It is impossible for the end user to apply props to swap models.

No Props.......

Thank you Scott, guess I was hoping for to much. It was a great idea, however on to the next one. As you can see from the shot below, i was ready to tackle the issue and have most of them as Objects. Thanks again

Last edited:
The only way to get those props on static planes is for them to be placed during modeling. It would be hard on several of my models for me to provide propellers because they are already at the poly limit without a prop. The Macchi for instance just wouldn't easily allow me to do this.
To be more to the point...It is impossible for the end user to apply props to swap models.

In the case of my FE2b, I was able to add the prop because I deleted the pilot. Another possibility for many planes is to delete some of the interior details.

It might be possible with a lot of work to place props as a separate airport object, but it would be very fiddly with the orientation of the prop needing to be exactly right, etc.

A suggestion here is to export static models without props (or prop circles) to save polys and then have the prop as an airport object in and of itself. Then the airport creator could place the prop on the plane when the airport is created.

In this same manner a prop blur disk could also be used to emulate an engine being run up.

Back