Douglas DC-3/C-47 Skytrain

So just add the prop as an AP object and orient and position it to the model? I didn't know you could have something free stand in mid air. If so I guess that would work.

What does having so many aircraft on the ground do to the performance of the airfield? I would think that it would slow things way down with so much to render. I am thinking of 50 or more aircraft.

What does having so many aircraft on the ground do to the performance of the airfield? I would think that it would slow things way down with so much to render. I am thinking of 50 or more aircraft.

Your right, it will drag your system down into the mud, however the purpose for having them in the same place was not for flying, it was to group them by nationality and place them in folders, the saved to disc so they wouldn't get lost or deleted in some way. It also illustrates jus how many there are, and this is not all of them. Sorry for placing this in MRs build thread, there now is a thread for this.

Yes
objects can float in mid air....many will even support a spawn !

Your right on Major, they will stay where you put them, unless you have a glitch or, as some of us are getting older, sometimes we fat-finger or hva a slight visual imparement. Just the time we think, hot dog, I'm going to retire and do the things I've waited 40 years to do, you start falling apart!!!

Last edited:
In the case of my FE2b, I was able to add the prop because I deleted the pilot. Another possibility for many planes is to delete some of the interior details.

It might be possible with a lot of work to place props as a separate airport object, but it would be very fiddly with the orientation of the prop needing to be exactly right, etc.

Sorry to have intruded into your build thread, I think I have it headed in the right direction with a thread of it's own, ai just wanted to thank you for your help and for providing suggestions for the future concerning the subject. Keep up the GREAT work, I can hear those PWs purring now !!!

Sorry to have intruded into your build thread, I think I have it headed in the right direction with a thread of it's own, ai just wanted to thank you for your help and for providing suggestions for the future concerning the subject. Keep up the GREAT work, I can hear those PWs purring now !!!

I didn't mind this getting in the thread at all. It was an interesting topic and I'm not territorial about that.

Don't get me wrong... I think that it is way cool, just had never seen someone take it to this extent with so many aircraft on the ground. Hey It is an awesome sue(sp) of aircraft. Maybe some aircraft specifically designed for this purpose with detail left off?? That seems to be the solution. Use, Sue, Seu, Ues, Eus... take your pick spelling police.

Your right, it will drag your system down into the mud, however the purpose for having them in the same place was not for flying, it was to group them by nationality and place them in folders, the saved to disc so they wouldn't get lost or deleted in some way. It also illustrates jus how many there are, and this is not all of them. Sorry for placing this in MRs build thread, there now is a thread for this.

The horizontal stabilizers and elevators were cut from the fuselage. Triangles are at 8456.

Attachments

• HorStabCut001.jpg
    HorStabCut001.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 13
OK. I need some advice. I like doing the pocket thing for control surfaces. However, in this case, the profile of the wing changes quite a lot along the slot. So it really doesn't work very well. I played with things like cutting with a cylinder that varies in radius along the edge, but that doesn't work particularly well either. The easiest thing that is RC like would be to just hinge from the top and undercut the bottom of the horizontal stab and elevator slightly. Any other ideas?

Did you try this method for making sealed hinges?

That is exactly the method that I like to use, so yes that is what I tried. But because the horizontal stab tapers considerably (and not uniformly), it doesn't work well. If it tapered uniformly, I could use a modified version. But unfortunately, it doesn't.

If you want to send me your file I can work up a method. Maybe just some good shots of the back edge and I'll work up an idea.

If you want to send me your file I can work up a method. Maybe just some good shots of the back edge and I'll work up an idea.

Thanks Boof. I just sent you a file with the offending pieces.

For others, here are screenshots showing the problem. Basically, because the elevator curves in toward the root, the airfoil in that section moves forward making things thinner where the control surface was cut. So you have thinner, thick, and the very thin as the wing tapers. That makes for trouble.

Attachments

• HorStabProb001.jpg
    HorStabProb001.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 12
  • HorStabProb002.jpg
    HorStabProb002.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 14
Back