E-flite Extra 260

inky00

Hey guys,
Just to let people know that my E-flite Extra 260-480 is now finished and on the swap pages.I hope you all like it and please feel free to tweak the flight model as i am not sure how accurate it is.Any comments are also welcome and should be left in this thread.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1188567964.jpg
    ScreenShot1188567964.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 11
  • ScreenShot1188567989.jpg
    ScreenShot1188567989.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ScreenShot1188568049.jpg
    ScreenShot1188568049.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 13
  • ScreenShot1188568066.jpg
    ScreenShot1188568066.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 18
  • ScreenShot1188568074.jpg
    ScreenShot1188568074.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 19
NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O LOVE THIS PLANE! IT FLY'S LIKE A REAL ELECTRIC 3D PLANE. i SAW ONE FLY LAST WEEK, ITS FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS ARE VERY CLOSE.

GOOD JOB AND THANKS!

Actually the flight characteristics need much work.

The 3D model is fantastic.

The real plane is MUCH ligher at about 1.75 lbs while this one weights close to 4.

The real model has a thinner wing, than this one.

The real model has flat stabs and rudder.

Flat aluminum gear too.

The rudder counterbalance is proportionately too heavy.

The real plane decellerates far more slowly and is more of a "floater".

Etc. I can go on.

This is NOT to knock Inky00's efforts which IMHO are nothing short of amazing.

Rather the point is that some people who deem things "right on the money" often are not performing accurate comparisons, and are using subjective appraisals.

Likewise the reverse is also true.

I've flown and watched others fly this plane to observe it's characteristics at the field. The physics need adjustment to bring the plane in line.

Of course the best way to do this is to fly the plane at the field, then perform the same maneouvers right at the field, using G3... and adjust.

Beautiful Plane Inky.... As always I look forward to your contributions. Thank you.

About the battery: Yup, it's a 1950mA battery, yet Current drain is at about 150Amps WOT. That would make the battery a 70-80C discharge! :eek:

Last edited:
opjose said:
Actually the flight characteristics need much work.

The 3D model is fantastic.

The real plane is MUCH ligher at about 1.75 lbs while this one weights close to 4.

The real model has a thinner wing, than this one.

The real model has flat stabs and rudder.

Flat aluminum gear too.

The rudder counterbalance is proportionately too heavy.

The real plane decellerates far more slowly and is more of a "floater".

Etc. I can go on.

This is NOT to knock Inky00's efforts which IMHO are nothing short of amazing.

Rather the point is that some people who deem things "right on the money" often are not performing accurate comparisons, and are using subjective appraisals.

Likewise the reverse is also true.

I've flown and watched others fly this plane to observe it's characteristics at the field. The physics need adjustment to bring the plane in line.

Of course the best way to do this is to fly the plane at the field, then perform the same maneouvers right at the field, using G3... and adjust.

the things you see in the editor window doesnt have to be exact with the real one

it just has to perform like the real one

Right on!! How is FSOne? I only got to try the 46% ultimate and a .50 size heli while i was at Toledo... i liked the heli, but didn't really like the plane as much.

How do you like it?

brian94066 said:
the things you see in the editor window doesnt have to be exact with the real one

it just has to perform like the real one

Unfortunately it does neither.

I flew the real deal all day today. The Extra 260 weights in LIGHTER than my Mini Pulse which is smaller.

Typically you CAN adjust the physics "to be exact with the real one" and get authentic performance.

It takes more work and testing to get the performance balance right... something which some people seem to miss when they state that G3 is not "perfect".

I got news for them and Mudsurfer1234 ( aka BobBaker, strange that Bob only posts in response to Mudsurfer1234's posts and never around otherwise...) .... it's MIGHTY close if you know what you are doing...

I do feel sorry for Mudsurfer1234/Bobbaker.

I have FS-One, AFDP, and Reflex.

MudBob comes in to badmouth G3, yet settles for the inferior FS-One....

I've put G3 side by side with FS-One at a couple of LHS's and demonstrated the problems with the latter's flight modeling to several groups of people.

It's much easier to see this when you do a side by side comparison. Optimizing or tweaking the planes in FS-One doesn't overcome the un-realistic "on rails" behaviour it has.

Let's not even discuss it's "joke" 3D airfields.

Last edited:
You like to get on my Opjose, haha. It's cool though, i look at the whole thing with a smile ( :D ). Even though i may badmouth G3 alot, i use it more than any other sim, and i own AFPD.

Opjose, buddy, what sim are you talking about when you say " Let's not even discuss it's "joke" 3D airfields. "

Obstacle courses, aqueducts, castles, observatories, and carnivals are pretty "jokey." lol You were talking about G3's fields right?

I'm not sure of FSOne's fields, i never saw them.

This extra, it seems to be too slow, not sure how, just, slow. Maybe it's reacting slow, maybe the throws aren't quite high enough.

Also, i think i'm going to tweak the scheme a little bit, and make ALL the covering SLIGHTLY transparent, because if you look at it from the bottom, you can see through the white covering, but not the other way around. You should be able to see the framework through the solid color if the plane is between you and the sun.

-Scott :cool:

Mudsurfer1234 said:
Even though i may badmouth G3 alot, i use it more than any other sim, and i own AFPD.

I guess then I can't fault you there! :D

Mudsurfer1234 said:
Opjose, buddy, what sim are you talking about when you say " Let's not even discuss it's "joke" 3D airfields. "

Obstacle courses, aqueducts, castles, observatories, and carnivals are pretty "jokey." lol You were talking about G3's fields right?

I'm not sure of FSOne's fields, i never saw them.

Jokey? Hardly. G3's 3D fields may not be up to say the 3D object level of the latest video games but they are FAR FAR better than anything else that's out.

Pull up FS-One's airfields and "fly" through the terrian.

AFDP does a much better job, and it looks pretty poor.

Zoom in on a tree in G3 and you'll see individual LEAVES... no other sim does this.

No wonder you haven't seen 3D airfields in FS-One. Most LHS's don't bother with them on that sim.

Mudsurfer1234 said:
This extra, it seems to be too slow, not sure how, just, slow. Maybe it's reacting slow, maybe the throws aren't quite high enough.

Correct, correct, and correct!

The physics are indeed off.

That's the way to criticize IMHO.

Remember that these are "user created" planes and often what one person considers "great" may be waay off relative to the real deal.

I just posted a variant that we spent the day adjusting vs the real thing.

Mudsurfer1234 said:
Also, i think i'm going to tweak the scheme a little bit, and make ALL the covering SLIGHTLY transparent, because if you look at it from the bottom, you can see through the white covering, but not the other way around. You should be able to see the framework through the solid color if the plane is between you and the sun.

-Scott :cool:

Ok I retract anything bad I may have ever said about you! :D ( no, I haven't badmouthed you... )

Yes accurate and constructive.

I've tried FS ONE...it was crap,when i tried the 50% H9 bipe it was a blimp.
The blade cp on there could do piro flips!! :eek: What were they "whiffing" when this was created??
The upside though,i love their ground physics and photo feilds.
In all G3 is better all around but still needs better ground physics.

Edit-> Thanks for the fix opjose. :D

Attachments

• ScreenShot1188742182.jpg
    ScreenShot1188742182.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 9
  • ScreenShot1188742200.jpg
    ScreenShot1188742200.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ScreenShot1188742211.jpg
    ScreenShot1188742211.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here you guys go. This is based off of the real one I flew. Opjose, your variant seemed to fly too light for me and a tad too slow. I feel it was closer than the flight model you get off when you download the EA however.

This is my tweaks, but I did not post it on the swaps yet because I feel it needs a little more tweaking.

Thanks and let me know what you guys think! :)

Seth

Attachments

• E-flite Extra 260 - Seth A Edit_AV.G3X
    29.3 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for all the nice comments guys and thanks to opjose and 3dseth for doing the variants.I knew there would be someone that has flown one and as i have never i just tried to get it flying okay.Both the variants are miles better than mine.Great work guys.

Back