Expansion Pack 2 screenshots

FlyGuy said:
Why are you guys having a "glow vs electric" debate in the "EP2 screenshots" thread :confused:

Hey! He started it with the silly and uninformed "Do Do" comment.

Please make the bad man stop.

Last edited:
DavidWinter said:
Yeah.. obviously. Looks like you missed the portion in my original post that specifically request park flyers be added.. In fact I believe I mention two or three specific park flyer models.

Gawd, you assert that glows are going the way of the DoDo, but when we discuss them you go back to the micros.

They aren't the same thing.

DavidWinter said:
Strange then considering I already have double that on most of my packs.

Pull out any good tester, by now your Lipo's are at about 40% capacity.

DavidWinter said:
Lipo's only explode if you don't know what you're doing and don't take precautions.. funny.. fuel is much the same.

Oh Please!

Lipo's are far more problematic.

Try igniting a teaspoon of glow fuel, it's not as explosive as say alchohol, etc. since it's not aromatic.

Basic chem.

DavidWinter said:
Poorly designed? Okay.. don't know where you're getting your gear from then.. bob's surplus I guess. I don't know what ARF's you're talking about not having charging receptacles in.. I've not found one that doesn't have them.

Most of the small electrics do not have charging receptacles, and require that you disconnect the battery to charge the plane...

... but of course the rational is that this is done to keep you from blowing up the plane during a charge cycle.

DavidWinter said:
Hmm strange considering there are signs there that state something along the lines of "Electric RC models only. No fuel powered RC aircraft City Bylaw #xxxxx." (I can go take a picture of the signs if you like to get the bylaw number.)

Sounds like you live in a very small burough and someone wrote this into a local law only applicable to your local field. e.g. someone purposely did this to phase out glows.

You'ld have a hard time passing something like this in most cities as it would be far too encompassing.

DavidWinter said:
No, that is wrong. The two major electric flying fields are in the middle of the city. The lone fuel powered one has been forced to move a little over an hours drive away.

For the moment yes, but give it another year and you'll be in the same boat due to misperceptions.

DavidWinter said:
Considering that soccer field IS home to one of the major electric only club flying fields. This doubtful.

Give it time, it will sadly happen as well, you just haven't experienced it yet.

We've been through all of this.

DavidWinter said:
Listen, you're not going to convince me that fuel model airplanes have any future.

That's obvious.

DavidWinter said:
Electric technology is changing and improving just too quickly for combustion engines to keep up. The new Sulphur polymer cells offer double the capacity and voltage of LiPo and are about 1/2 the weight.

Snicker, oh, those 150.00 USD per cell batteries x 12 for a .40 sized plane.

No thanks. I'll just buy a couple of more glows and fly them until the newest cells produce enough power and are finally cost effective.

Until then I'll still be flying glows and gassers, although I do have a few small electrics.

DavidWinter said:
Maybe you have lots of room to fly down there. Maybe you're in some desert region where people can go out in the middle of nowhere and have lots of room.

Those of us that live in cities don't have the luxury. My 'middle of no where' is a rain forest.

In Canada? No Room?

Lotsa Canucks are posting in flight videos on YouTube from their Gasser/Glow planes showing the beautiful countryside.

DavidWinter said:
You stick to your loud, dirty, finiky, expensive fuel models, that require special airfields and locations kilometers away from anywhere to fly them if that's what you enjoy.

Hmmm... You haven't heard a .90 sized electric fly have you....

I was considering trying to electrify my Funtana S90 until I talked to someone who did just this.

It simply wasn't worth the effort and there was no benefit, just a high cost...

Re: Kilometers

RC airfields abound down here.

Google a bit to see.

The local Hobby Stores play an active part in keeping them and the RC clubs going.

I have one 4 minutes away, another 15 minutes away and two more 40 minutes away.... all with excellent facilities and sponsered by the local governement.

The County govs, love that this keeps people away from the local Parks with their Electrics.

You'll see the same thing.

DavidWinter said:
But it seems more and more people are moving past that.

Yes, they try the various things available and choose what is effective.

I got back into this via Electrics, found them far too restrictive, costly and SMALL.

Then went back to the real deal.

DavidWinter said:
I can see how some old timers would have a hard time keeping up.

Which is why you see SOOOO many electrics in IMAC competitions, Joe Nail's, etc.

Oops sorry, you don't.

Last edited:
DavidWinter said:
- Not enough power.
- Can not do loops.
- They do not properly respond to turbulence in the air.
- They do not take off or land in a realistic fashion.
- The numbers for cells and motor combinations you have to enter into the sim (as an edit) to "create" a typical park flyer are about double or triple that of what are really used.

Re: Not enough power

On which planes?

Not that you may be wrong, but I haven't seen this in any of the electrics on the Expansion packs.

The G3 models climb at about the same rates as the real things.

Re: Loops

Again which planes?

Are you sure that you have set the high rates on the throws using the left hand switch.

Loops should not be problematic, with exceptions.

Re: Turbulence

In what way?

Do you mean that they don't move latterally correctly, yaw correctly when buffeted, need more yaw per side force, etc.?

To be of any benefit such observations need to be very specific.

Re: Take off/land

Again which planes, and in what way?

You should see the threads about the simple fix to adjusting the airport friction co-efficient.

The default is set too low to be realistic... probably because KE didn't want newbies trying to deal with noseovers.

Because of the low friction and rolling resistance, planes tend to roll far too quickly in G3, not mimicing the throttle settings required to say, move one off the grass.

This may have been more of a choice than a limitation, as the software CAN deal with this correctly.

Re: Cells

This comment is the most useful.

...Though I haven't found this to be the case when you have the right motor matched to the proper battery; it's very easy to mismatch the motor (and it's resistance) to the battery, resulting in a plane that seems highly underpowered.

This is not clearly explained.

When you have a proper match G3 should not behave dissimiliar to the real thing.

L0StS0ul's own attempt at the E-Flite produced a pairing that both mimiced the real thing in defined capacities, and power output.

He selected from stock motors and batteries in G3.

However if you are selecting from the available list w/o an exact match, performance can initially seem disappointing due to the resistance mismatch.

how about we forget this topic. and go back to expansion pack 2 pics and info. this is another battle which shall come to an end. don you think?

opjose said:
L0StS0ul's own attempt at the E-Flite produced a pairing that both mimiced the real thing in defined capacities, and power output.

He selected from stock motors and batteries in G3.

Actually that's not true. I created custom batteries and motors for the Ultimate and the result, while very powerful, is not 100% accurate.

I took the numbers for the TP 1320mAh 11.1v Prolites that have been posted in the power section on RCGroups and recreated that pack and also adjusted the lipo power distribution curves to match as closely as I could the testing results from rcgroups.

I then used the posted numbers to recreate the E-Flite Park 400 920kv motor that I have in my real plane.

I used all real numbers for this and the result is way to powerful compared to the real thing in the simulator. The only thing I can think of is that the actual KV of the motor is lower than the stated numbers but even droping it by 50 - 100 does not make it any closer power wise.

The G3X file I posted should have the custom battery and motor with it.

L0stS0ul said:
Actually that's not true. I created custom batteries and motors for the Ultimate and the result, while very powerful, is not 100% accurate.

I took the numbers for the TP 1320mAh 11.1v Prolites that have been posted in the power section on RCGroups and recreated that pack and also adjusted the lipo power distribution curves to match as closely as I could the testing results from rcgroups.

I then used the posted numbers to recreate the E-Flite Park 400 920kv motor that I have in my real plane.

I used all real numbers for this and the result is way to powerful compared to the real thing in the simulator. The only thing I can think of is that the actual KV of the motor is lower than the stated numbers but even droping it by 50 - 100 does not make it any closer power wise.

The G3X file I posted should have the custom battery and motor with it.

Ok that makes sense.

His complaint is that when he selects a motor and battery combo there is insufficient power, not that it's too powerful.

This sounds more like a mistmatch in the selection.

I was hoping he would list the electric planes that he finds too underpowered so that I could check it out.

I am somewhat suprised that he is also stating that the electrics don't loop?!?

I finally received mine in the mail yesterday! Anyway, I spent some time checking out the new planes and fields. I am really interested in the PT-17 since I have one in the box.

Okay, the best way to see details is to wreck it and then walk up to it. Knife Edge, you guys some awesome work! Check out the details. Wing roots show lightening holes that would have been there. Also wood grain. Look at the details where the landing gear ripped off. Looks like stuff for hydraulic lines, bolts and nuts, etc. Check out the cockpit. You can see the tube frame of the fuselage. Nice touch, Knife Edge! And the instrument panels, check them out. The radial engine looks awesome. I am not sure why the pushrod tubes are square instead of round. But you only notice that in an extreme closeup. Expansion Pack 2 is a nice upgrade!

Attachments

• ScreenShot1155007138.jpg
    ScreenShot1155007138.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 65
  • ScreenShot1155007202.jpg
    ScreenShot1155007202.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 51
  • ScreenShot1155007698.jpg
    ScreenShot1155007698.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 79
  • ScreenShot1155008169.jpg
    ScreenShot1155008169.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 70
  • ScreenShot1155007255.jpg
    ScreenShot1155007255.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 51
The view from the aqueduct in Spawn 2:

Attachments

• ScreenShot1155007499.jpg
    ScreenShot1155007499.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 74
If you need any specific viewpoints of the plane let me know...

Attachments

• ScreenShot1155156704.jpg
    ScreenShot1155156704.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 49
  • ScreenShot1155156694.jpg
    ScreenShot1155156694.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 42
  • ScreenShot1155156682.jpg
    ScreenShot1155156682.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 46
  • ScreenShot1155156675.jpg
    ScreenShot1155156675.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 48
  • ScreenShot1155156660.jpg
    ScreenShot1155156660.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 56
Maybe he meant internal and construction pics? ;)

Attachments

• ScreenShot1155173226.jpg
    ScreenShot1155173226.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 47
  • ScreenShot1155173265.jpg
    ScreenShot1155173265.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ScreenShot1155173482.jpg
    ScreenShot1155173482.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 46
  • ScreenShot1155173492.jpg
    ScreenShot1155173492.jpg