f-18 CS ??

Thanks Mikey,what would you recommend as a starting point on the s._tga.

s.tga white
.tga white
s.tga lt/med. gray
.tga gold
s.tga med./med. dk. gray
s.tga blue
???????????????
Do you think the gray scale on the alpha layer is an issue ??
How far did you get on your CS.If you can show me a pic, I would like to see it.If not ,no worries mate.

Thanks for the compliment
TWIST/aka guest

Last edited:
for the _s.tga .............in the color picker 128
is the middle gray
even that will yield of a high gloss ..............you need to experiment
I'd start around 0/ 90 / 90 /90

ALSO..... a good place to start is to do the following......
make a duplicate copy of your .tga and "Desaturate " it ............... In PS its "Remove color"
(it makes it look like a black and white photo) make your first _s.tga from that and go from there ;) ;)
then you can just use the brightness/contrast control to lighten darken the different grays.................
.depending on the CS and the amount of gloss you're going for
I many times find the same base color for 95%-99% of the whole aircraft to be just fine

of course we've already covered masking the graphic earlier in this thread

gray scale on an alpha an issue ?....it can be. :rolleyes: .....but I hardly never have to mess with it on an _s.tga for the average gloss job

Attachments

• hgj.jpg
    hgj.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 5
  • jgj.jpg
    jgj.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
yahoo /google
use the key words:

F-18 Walk Around photos

that should bring up several detailed ones . maybe more detailed than you want sometimes ;)

Hey all, I was trying to upload this CS, and I got this message.
"This CS is based on a diff. custom aircraft model than the one in our database.If this CS is intended to go with this custom aircraft model you will have to download the current version and export again.If the CS is for a completely diff. aircraft, then we don`t have that aircraft.So please rename and export the entire aircraft instead.
THE highlighted part led me to the ViennaLex76 file, which I downloaded again and went through the export process again with no luck :confused: :(
What`s up.Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllp

Read the error message, that is exactly what is happening. You have tried to upload a CS for an aircraft that is not in the KE database. This is often caused by trying to upload a CS or AV for a aircraft which was created for an earlier version of RF. Create the CS in the same version as the original or contact the EA's creator and ask if they will update it to the current RF version. If there are a lot of CS and/or AVs of the aircraft, this may be difficult as all of them will have to be removed too.

Hey all,just wanted to let you know that Lex has the file and is doing what he can to upload this CS.He said that the problem comes from"a bad export with a diff. CS than the original 3D model uses". :confused: .But now he`s having problems as well.

So Doug,When Lex uploaded his EA he was running version 5.00.018. I`m running 5.50.021 now. Are you suggesting that I or Lex go back to 5.00.018 and try an upload?.

Last edited:
That would be one way to do it. Another would be to rename the original exported model and upload another copy with a different name, using the current version of RF. You would then be able to upload a CS for that model.

Thanks Doug, I will PM Lex with that info or direct him to this thread.On a side note, I`ve noticed that 5.00.018 is not listed in "KNIFE EDGE NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS",as "available ".Do you think that could be part of the problem? (as the error message is/might be suggesting).
The only reason I`m asking,is because I was able to upload my CS of Lexs`Intruder,(version 4.50.021) while I was running 5.10.028.
I just noticed that version 4.50.021 is`nt there either,oh well so much for that theory.Anyway,I do agree with you about trying to rename/updating to latest version as the error message states.I`ll have Lex give that a shot.Please excuse all my brain storming/farting,and thanks for your patience/time/help.

TWIST

This is a strange problem because for my Airwolf (I know, it's an old project) Maxx made a variant for me (a gas version) in G5, and I had no problem to upload it although the Airwolf_EA was made for G4.5 :confused:
Does it mean now that it's imposible to create a variant for an aircraft with a different RF version?

Hi Lex,I would not know about that myself. As I stated,I was able to upload my CS of your Intruder with no problem,while running G5.5 :confused: .Also.Cgrow has uploaded yet another AV of the F-18 today,while running 5.50.021.I don`t understand why an AV can be loaded and a CS can`t. Just a thought,(stupid, I know) but can a CS be uploaded as an AV?
Lex,I have not heard from Cgrow,and was just wondering if you have gotten any thoughts and/or input from him yet?
As far as the renaming thing goes, and upgrading the F-18 to a version 5.5,and then applying my CS to it.That is over my head and would have to be done by you,(being how it`s your EA).
I think Doug might have a handle on that aspect of things,if you don`t??????.Hopefully he`ll read this and give us his input/help. :D

Thanks again for all your help and time
TWIST

No a CS cant be uploaded as an AV
the only way to upload a CS other than just as a CS
is as an EA ..which as you prob. already know is a No-No with out the EAs creators permission

My Diamond back CSs exported from 4.5 are still up and at one time I uploaded several that I added pan lines and rivets to and then gave them over to MM21 ( who then deleted them)
would you want me to try to export it/them from 4.5 and try to upload it/them in your name?
if so let me know and I'll PM you my E-mail addy and we'll give it a try
a CS is a CS
as long as its from 4.5 and above there is really no difference as far as the Sim. is concerned

Last edited:
Hi Major,Thanks for your input/help,excuse some of my brain storming/farting,(CS/AV comment).Just thinking out loud. :eek: :D
And yes,I would greatly appreciate your help trying to get this CS on the swaps.Darn thing took me a month of pixel pick`n.Would sure hate to see it go to waste.
Anyway, PM me your E-mail addy,and i`ll have my wife send the file and some screenies as soon as she gets home,(that will be around 8 p.m. your time).
If you`re able to get this uploaded,I`m assuming I can edit (add text) to it after, or should I PM you with that??

Thank you Maj. and all for your help
TWIST

You can't upload a CS or AV for an EA made for a previous version. What you have to do is change the internal name of the model. A "save as" or "export as" will not do it. The internal name is stored or used in something like eleven places through out the files used to define an aircraft.

It can be done by editing the files manually, but the easiest way is to rename a RAW (not previously imported) KEX and import it into the current RF version and point to the physics of the old aircraft. Now when you export an EA, it will be for the current version and not have the same internal name as the old one.

I'm not sure why this would happen to only Twist? I already had an alternate CS on this plane (NASA), and I see now that Cgrow has uploaded Twist's (by the way, he can edit his description to list you as the uploader...), and I did a test upload with inverted colors from my NASA CS onto a blank TGA and it uploaded just fine.

@ Maj., I think your CS's were for the bombs and missiles version though, right? The Blue Angels was a different EA, sans weapons.

@ Twist, I have encountered this frustration on a few files I tried to paint, so I feel your pain too. I'm just mystified as to why Cgrow and I can upload, and you aren't allowed...? Makes no sense?

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• TEST.jpg
    TEST.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 6
mine was made for the : FA-18 Super Hornet (so twist disregard my earlier PMs)
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/12797
just for giggles and grins I'll try post one tonight/ tomorrow
even if is just solid black
just to see if I can
and then take it back down

EDIT:
I tried 2 things.....
1:............I DL'd your CS , took it in RF and saved as and re- exported with a new name
upload failed with same error you got

2:......... took 211s default CS
saved as and just changed the hue (purple Angel) exported CS tried to upload again
and got same failure notice
so apparently I can't upload a CS to that EA from 4.5 either :confused: :confused:

or maybe I could if I start to play a file rename/ shell game as DHK eluded to
(but with my limited skills.............. I would not know were to begin)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, "LIFE" jumped in my face WED. afternoon.Just wanted to let you know I`ve seen that the F-18 made it to the swaps :D .I`m trying to get everything taken care of on the swaps as time allows, (editing/PMs/thank yous`)and will do so ASAP.

Thanks for your patience
TWIST

Last edited:
CF-188 2009 CAF Demo

I didn't have any problem loading the *.cs file but the EA file for the FA-18 Hornet Blue Angels_EA.rfx. I did manage to get it running by renaming a file when prompted. I've never done a color scheme for real flight yet, but there are a lot of nice schemes for the CF-188 done by Jim Belliveau. I took the photo of the plane at Armed Forces Day at Southport, Manitoba.

Attachments

• RCM-F18- 391s.jpg
    RCM-F18- 391s.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 12
  • FD2009 049.jpg
    FD2009 049.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back