FBX Import

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
I am overjoyed to announce that with RealFlight 8, we have completely eliminated the need for the KEX Exporter across both of our current product lines!

For those who haven't already played with this for RF-X, the basic idea is that you make your art in 3ds Max just as you always have. But instead of exporting a KEX file, you export an FBX, and import that directly into RealFlight.

As I'm sure anyone reading this well knows, the former method required a Max plugin which in turn required 32-bit Max 2012 or older, effectively closing off the content creation pipeline for nearly all users. The FBX file format, on the other hand, is natively supported in Max. It requires no special steps or downloads; it just works.

I know this will make you guys happy. Believe me when I say it might make us even happier. ;)

Might have to retune my building skills soon. Thanks guys.
Sure would be nice to see you back Andy, you were a great inspiration to everyone that enjoyed, and wanted to do modeling , not to mention a GREAT help to all that have done so in the past including myself, I wouldn`t have gotten my only model on the swaps without your help. ;)

3DS to FBX ?

I am overjoyed to announce that with RealFlight 8, we have completely eliminated the need for the KEX Exporter across both of our current product lines!

For those who haven't already played with this for RF-X, the basic idea is that you make your art in 3ds Max just as you always have. But instead of exporting a KEX file, you export an FBX, and import that directly into RealFlight.

As I'm sure anyone reading this well knows, the former method required a Max plugin which in turn required 32-bit Max 2012 or older, effectively closing off the content creation pipeline for nearly all users. The FBX file format, on the other hand, is natively supported in Max. It requires no special steps or downloads; it just works.

I know this will make you guys happy. Believe me when I say it might make us even happier. ;)

Yes, would be great. But my 3D Studio Max can't export FBX but .3DS or .MAX .
I found an application from autodesk (FBX Converter) but seems no longer available for download (only FBX Review)
Anybody knows how to do it?

Last edited:
Yes, would be great. But my 3D Studio Max can't export FBX but .3DS or .MAX .
I found an application from autodesk (FBX Converter) but seems no longer available for download (only FBX Review)
Anybody knows how to do it?

I'm curious what version of 3ds Max are you using?

I'm afraid we can't help you there. We do not support import of .3ds or .max files and do not plan to implement that.

As some have offered above, if you can find a converter that does a good job, that may be a viable path.

Please post and let everyone know if you find something that works for you!

You can build in max, wings, or blender. Max and blender are capable of setting pivots, but not wings so a model created there must be imported into max or blender to complete it. All of those can do anything else needed for the build process. Max is pretty much the only platform that you'll get any help from forum members or KE.

I have max, but I need an easy to follow tutorial, a walk through on building a model for realflight. I have the hardware, and I want to give it a shot.

Ryan, you mentioned RFX has a poly limit of 65k+ per frame. In the RF8 art creation thread you said the process for RF8 should remain the same as 7.5. My question is, is the poly limit in RF8 still 27,000 or as in RFX? I may have missed that somewhere if it was discussed before.

Ryan, you mentioned RFX has a poly limit of 65k+ per frame. In the RF8 art creation thread you said the process for RF8 should remain the same as 7.5. My question is, is the poly limit in RF8 still 27,000 or as in RFX? I may have missed that somewhere if it was discussed before.

Here's some questions I ask and Ryan's answers.

https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=280774&postcount=7

Here's a few questions as a content creator.

1. What version of Direct X is supported.

2. What is the texture size.

3. What is the triangle limit.

4. What is the collision mesh limit.

Beyond that has there been any improvement to the textures in 3d fields?

And of course as an RF-X owner is there any discount to get RF-8.

ANSWERS:

1.This product is using the same engine as 7.5 and has the same DirectX requirements.
2.Texture size is unchanged from 7.5.
3.Triangle limit should now be the same as in RF-X: 135,000. We did encounter a problem when importing an object with a higher number of vertices just now, but I assume that will be solvable once we look at it further.
4.To be perfectly candid I don't know. I don't think it has changed, but the person I'd need to ask is out of the office.

If you're asking about the terrain textures, they are the same as in 7.5.

That's determined entirely by our publisher, Great Planes/Hobbico. I know they have something planned, though. I'm not sure when the details will be revealed.

I think this all got straightened out, but to officially clarify: I was really just trying to say that except for the FBX import element, the overall creation process is basically the same as 7.5, in contrast to numerous differences when it comes to creating art for RF-X.

The total triangle limit for an RF8 vehicle is 135k--though individual frames have a limit of roughly 65k, so the tris need to be distributed a bit if you're going that high.

Back