First impressions of 6.

phrank

Now that 6 has hit the LHS shelves. What are people's first impressions on this next gen product?
I imagine g3.5 folks are in hog heaven.
Reading through the various Heli forums however, opinions are mixed.
Even Mikey seems to have abandoned using it, doesn't seem too happy, while others agree that helies do indeed fly closer to real-life.

Retail package comes with 2 separate discs:
RF6 DVD in a case, while the Megapack Disc comes in a paper sleeve.
Each comes with their own digits, and must be installed separately.
The controller(Heli Version) does feel nice, smooth ratchless feel, the relocated knob is notchy, not as smooth turning as the old one.

Smoke does look different, not like a real-life nitro Heli, but still better than before.

Default field is beautiful.
Default startup plane is the P-51, surprising, I thought the sBach would take center stage in this version.

Strange that the upgrade version is lagging behind the full retail product. :confused:

That's it 5mins hands on time, how about the rest of you?

Yeah, not impressed at the moment. :(

This feels strangely similar to a beta version of G5.5, Cyclic felt strange, blades were extremely quiet just like RF6. ill try and find the exact version number it was.

Edit:

The version number is 5.50.010, doesn't feel exactly like RF6 but I see alot of similarities from that version in 6.

IMO 5.50.014 and 5.50.033 are the best versions.

Last edited:
Well, I'm happy with it. I still need to spend more time with it. A close long-time friend of mine passed away last weekend and I've not spent too much time on the sim. Instead I've been on facebook reconnecting with old friends and I've been modeling my butt off so that I don't have to think about much else.

The smoke looks great. I like the way flybar helis fly a lot more than previous versions of Realflight. The flybarless Dominion flies great too, but I've never flown flybarless in real life, so I can't compare.

I'm having a hard time getting the Sky Crane to fly right with the new electronic flybar component, but I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before I or someone else figures it out for me. Like I said, I haven't been on the sim much because of recent news.

I think overall, planes and helis all have a different feel than before. I love how the helicopters can do the chicken dance after crashing. I know the Aeroworks Bi-Plane from Exp Pack 7 was always incredibly easy to fly--almost too easy. It is still an easy plane to fly, but it seams a bit more realistic with the new physics. It requires much more corrective stick movements during a hover and the torque effect is actually noticable.

* As a side note: I only mention the fact of my friend passing as the reason why I've not been on the sim. Please don't post in this thread that you feel bad for me or anything. That's not the purpose of this thread.

mwilson914 said:
Well, I'm happy with it. I still need to spend more time with it. A close long-time friend of mine passed away last weekend and I've not spent too much time on the sim. Instead I've been on facebook reconnecting with old friends and I've been modeling my butt off so that I don't have to think about much else.

The smoke looks great. I like the way flybar helis fly a lot more than previous versions of Realflight. The flybarless Dominion flies great too, but I've never flown flybarless in real life, so I can't compare.

I'm having a hard time getting the Sky Crane to fly right with the new electronic flybar component, but I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before I or someone else figures it out for me. Like I said, I haven't been on the sim much because of recent news.

I think overall, planes and helis all have a different feel than before. I love how the helicopters can do the chicken dance after crashing. I know the Aeroworks Bi-Plane from Exp Pack 7 was always incredibly easy to fly--almost too easy. It is still an easy plane to fly, but it seams a bit more realistic with the new physics. It requires much more corrective stick movements during a hover and the torque effect is actually noticable.

* As a side note: I only mention the fact of my friend passing as the reason why I've not been on the sim. Please don't post in this thread that you feel bad for me or anything. That's not the purpose of this thread.

Everyone else seems to like it except me.

I doubt my suggestions will be implemented since I seem to be the only one who has an issue with the new physics. :(

Mikey, I doubt that anyone here or at KE is pushing it as far as you are to discover those problems. Maybe if you have thoroughly described the problems to KE they could consult with Bobby and Matt to see if they see a problem in the areas you describe. Trash talking the physics on another forum in order to build an army of supporters is NOT the way to see your recommendations implemented.

So, were the sponsored pilots endorsing this new version wrong?
From the short hands on I did ,the helies felt less twitchy and that is a good thing for a newb learning to fly.
But then I wasn't doing any of the wasp on crack flight patterns.
Is it those aspects of the sim that seemed unrealistic?
Is the concern that it would not help in the advanced flight training?

You mentioned helies don't pitch up in FFF, that was a exaggerated in earlier versions, but all helies pitch up to some degree in the real world.
Is that non-existent now?

The pitch up in FFF in the former versions IMO was very exaggerated compared to my limited real world experience(I haven't flown them all). In 6 the fly barred heli pitch up is bit under done. They do tend to fly more like the fly bar less helis. That said, I prefer this better. I can better concentrate on the maneuver rather than fighting an unrealistic antiporpoise routine. Now I'm no 3D guy and have no aspirations to be one, I started flying RC at 56. Helis are my first love, but now at 60, if I'm called upon to make the kind of snap decisions it takes to keep a heli under control doing 3D, I need to sleep on it first. :D So I have no opinion on the things Mikey speaks of. Until I discover something that bugs me, I'm OK where we are.

I'm getting pitch up on the helis I have flown phrank. It exists. I admit I need some more sim time right now, but I am happy personally with the way aircraft in 6 perform. Maybe Mikeymike really feels a difference in hin real world models compared to the sim. I do know all models do not behave the same in the real world too. I don't know why I don't have the same non-pitch-up issues the mikey is having, but I just don't have an issue.

I know Matt Botos would give his honest opinion to the KE staff and I trust he felt the sim is an accurate representation to his real world experience. I don't think he would endorse anything that misrepresented his judgement.

I am not in the position to say Mikeymike is wrong, so I won't. I can say that I trust my own opinion as well as the pro pilots that worked with KE to improve the helis. In the end, everyone will have there own opinion.

Yes Phrank, RF6 is not good for advanced flying.

I wouldnt buy RF6 because Bobby and Matt had something to do with the development, I would rather have an experienced pilot that uses simulators frequently help develop the heli physics. Pro pilots rarely use simulators.

RF6 seems to cater to smooth flyers and beginners.

Ill try and make a video with my real heli to show how innaccurate RF6 is for advanced flying.

As for helis pitching up, 90 size in the sim was absolutely perfect, anything smaller seemed to have pitchyness over exaggerated.

Just for reference, can feel every minor adjustment to my real helis and in between version numbers. If the servo voltage is lowered by 1volt, cyclic values are reduced by 5%, blades are changed, additional weight is added to my heli I will notice the minor differences.
I

Last edited:
Good stuff guys, good to read all these points of views from different skill levels.

I didn't get a long enough feel for planks to detect any significant changes, but apparently there are enough prompting our friend Boof to upload 2 versions of the beautiful Bristol.
I did notice 2 different file sizes for it between versions, wondering what's going on there if it is just a physics tweak. :confused:

Will probably spend a bit more time with the planes next, and hopefully that grapple. ;)

I'm feeling a hover skill building trainer coming. :D

I've found that what I've tweaked for RF6 do not fly well imported back into 5.5. The amount of work it takes to tweak 5.5 aircraft for 6 depends on how much fudging you did to make it fly good in 5.5. I have a very clear opinion on this......the planes I do have tweaked for RF6 have never flown better on any version since G3. They fixed everything that annoyed me physics wise.

Mike,

PM me with your phone number if you don't mind. I'd like to call you and take some notes so we can bring them to the physics team.

Jim

jbourke said:
Mike,

PM me with your phone number if you don't mind. I'd like to call you and take some notes so we can bring them to the physics team.

Jim
Outstanding approach Jim, hats off to you!

Mikeymike21 said:
As for helis pitching up, 90 size in the sim was absolutely perfect, anything smaller seemed to have pitchyness over exaggerated.

Wow and I thought the FFLight up pitch is GREATLY toned down in G6 over prior releases... at least in the stock heli's I tried.

Are you talking about user created helis or stock ones?

-----

BTW: the old fixed pitch Watt Not, I always found not to be all that realistic... in G6 I find it spot on, except it permits too much forward pitch/flap than my small real fixed pitched helis permit.

I've flown the Dominion and several other stock helis.

I find the pitch up in Fast Forward flight GREATLY reduced , even if I dive the heli to max out it's forward speed.

This was one of the very first things I tested because I always thought it exagerrated in prior releases.

Could you be more specific?

Which VERSION of G6 does yours show.

Which STOCK Heli are you observing undue pitch up.

I want to try to reproduce what you are seeing with Stock helis, as so far I haven't seen it, not that I doubt you.

opjose said:
I've flown the Dominion and several other stock helis.

I find the pitch up in Fast Forward flight GREATLY reduced , even if I dive the heli to max out it's forward speed.

This was one of the very first things I tested because I always thought it exagerrated in prior releases.

Could you be more specific?

Which VERSION of G6 does yours show.

Which STOCK Heli are you observing undue pitch up.

I want to try to reproduce what you are seeing with Stock helis, as so far I haven't seen it, not that I doubt you.

I should have been more specific, when I said 90 size helis were perfect regarding pitching up, I was talking about previous versions of RF, in RF6 no pitching up is present.

I think the reason why so many disliked the previous version because the stock models did not fly well. I watched someone explain how horrible G5.5 was at a hobby store as he was trying the demo, what do you know, the stock model had the tail over ride % at 50, which basicly turns off the gyro at certain points and makes the heli spin out of control.

I loaded one of my varients and let him try it, he was very impressed with G5.5 after that and even bought a copy minutes later.

In my opinion, RF6 would have slightly tweaked RF G5.5 physics had there been decent flying stock models in previous versions.

Most of the people I talk to either prefer phoenix or Realflight G3.5, which was a great version.

It would be a little hard for anyone here to help you prove that theory since none of us has ever flown one of your heli AV's unless they were posted by one of your former selves.

Back