G2 still online?????

collins

I cant hook up to the internet from G2 multiplayer. My firewall was off. It still didnt work. Am i missing something? Thanks
Brad

Are you seeing any sessions at all listed? Or are you having trouble connecting to a session? You should be able to see the sessions, even if you can't join them, generally. Which firewall is off? Windows, ZoneAlarm (or another brand)? What about your router? More than likely it has a firewall, too.

No. I have checked all the fire walls. It wont even connect to let me register. I dont know whats going on. This is the last time i move my G2 to another computer. Any ideas. Please.

Why would you bump someone elses' thread? If you have a problem, describe what is going on on your system. Describe the procedures you have tried. Or call tech support. Contact info in the grey bar on every forum page.

Hey, calm down. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly. Give me a break. This is my first post in this forum. And by the way, I have exactly the same problem as collins so why create another thread?

I already contacted support and it was useless. They just said that G2 was discontinued and told me to download the latest version manually. I did but that didn't fix the problem. I even disabled the windows firewall, turned off the antivirus, and set my PC to DMZ to no avail.

Does anybody know if G2's multiplayer still works?

Thanks.

I PM'd collins. Thanks for your suggestion. Does anybody else have a constructive suggestion to make, please?

There may be some G2 users out there, but you have to realize it's an old product with more popular alternatives. For the same reason, 8 track tapes are also hard to find, even if you just got yourself an 8 track tape player.

Yeah, I know. I also own G4.5 and Reflex XTR. I'm just trying to revive this dinosaur so I can give it to my nephew.

I would love to try MP in G2. If I can figure out how to manually reregister my copy (since the reg server isn't responding) it would be nice to be able to just look and see if there are any sessions out there. The secondary server is still up for G2 but is not responding to registration requests as it had before.

Anyway, collins, Mucaro, if you want to try a MP session sometime let me know.

If anyone at KE knows how to tell G2 that it has registered that would be helpful. I know it's a shot in the dark but, I figure since you have to have the controller, the media and the serial number that throwing a bit or two in the registry (given the reg server isn't responding anymore) may not be a big deal.

Thanks in advance!

Running this old software and listening to the music is actually a pretty nostalgic experience. It's almost like going back to the early to mid 90's. Funny how things seemed so complex then.

Oh well, enough off topic.

You're able to enter the serials okay, right? I didn't think you had to register online to use mp. If I recall correctly, G2 was like G4.5 is now; online registration is only necessary if you want to update the software online.

Yes, I can enter the serial numbers during installation without problem. And, yes, G2 is just like G4 and presumably G3 in that you have to register to update but, the other similarity is that you also can't use the list server until you register. So, yes, you are correct that MP can still be used in G2 because, unlike G4.5, you are able to specify a particular session host by IP and port to connect to a private session that doesn't require the use of the list server.

It's been a looooong time since I had G2. I don't recall that you must register to use the list server for mp, but I'll take your word for it.

Update: in my boredom, I called tech support concerning your issue. She told me that support for G2 has been dropped, and the MP and registration servers have been shut down.

I do know that the latest version of G2 would be on AddOns 5.

Last edited:
I only meant that you could still obtain the latest release of G2 by installing AddOns 5. MP via the list server is not possible. I suppose you could still arrange a mp session privately with someone else, from time to time. It's a dead product now. Registering the product would be a moot point.

MP is completely blocked until the software is registered. That means that not even private sessions can be started. :( I made the mistake of buying G4.5 before knowing about the registration/MP fiasco in G2. I hope Knife Edge/Greate Planes do not do the same dirty trick in G4.5 because I swear I will not buy ANYTHING from them again. :mad:

So what happens when you enter someone else's IP address for a private session? What kind of error do you get?

On a side note, the G2 software was replaced by G3 5 years ago. I got my copy of G2 seven years ago. That is ancient history for software. Don't take it out on KE/GP, they have 2 main products newer than that. They can't support it forever.

Back