G5

Thus it begins!

---

pplace:

Yeah you're right, and extending the offer to G3 customers is a fantastic move.

That should get many with G3 to upgrade.

G5 System Requirements Please

G5 System Requirements Please
and not the Bare minimum but what will run it well and all its candy .
Thanks

This way while we wait , we can Prepare Our Putters to Tee Off right.

I would love to see shorter streamers for adding scarfs to pilots on WWI planes. Its a gimich but I think a nice touch. meh... My anticipation is growing but I do not think I am setting aside the $ just yet.

12oclockhigh said:
When upgrading, does that mean it comes with a new interlink? or will the old interlink from G4.5 or G3?? work??

I'll bet a new Interlink, to avoid copy protection problems.

So you can feed the old controller to your pet.

:)

G5 uses the Interlink Elite, just as G4 did. A software upgrade will be available for G4 customers.

Jim

At the price I saw $79, I thought the opposite... can't make much money selling a Interlink & a software upgrade for that price... oh wait a minute $1.78 for Interlink from China... :D $79 is reasonable for an upgrade price, depending on the additional features. They are competing with themselves and the resistance to spend any money because existing product does all the customer needs. I can also understand the current customer frustration with the existing "bugs" in 4.5.

I wish them well, they (KE) all eat and feed kids and the insurance and 100LL for Russian Thunder is not getting any cheaper.

opjose said:
I'll bet a new Interlink, to avoid copy protection problems.

So you can feed the old controller to your pet.

:)

Last edited:
Hm, looks like KE insist on adding neat, but not really important features instead of finally fixing all the existing issues or adding an improved airport editor (which I would prefer).

So, while I'm not even sure that I will update this time, I sure hope there will be an upgrade path for the non-American customers for a change. E.g. if the Interlink is not replaced, an online upgrade for registered customers would be a very reasonable idea.

Then again, KE and Great Planes seem to despise online distribution via download+key for some obscure reasons and thus missed the business opportunity to sell the addons as online downloads for some years now. So I would be surprised if they would offer such a customer friendly solution this time.

0xdeadbeef said:
and thus missed the business opportunity to sell the addons as online downloads
They actually are giving away the AddOns as downloads for free for G4.x users, but if you'd rather pay for them...

jeffpn said:
They actually are giving away the AddOns as downloads for free for G4.x users, but if you'd rather pay for them...

I think he meant along the lines of: a purchased online download of the add ons (for G3 on down you still need to purchase them) and the expansion packs. This would save on shipping costs, especially to overseas I'm guessing.

I just got my Realflight G4.5 about a month ago, so it would be nice to have an option of getting a nice discount on G5. I know they did rebates for 3 and 3.5 users to get G4, so I imagine there will be some rebate involved. For anyone in the same boat as me having bought G4.5 and two months later G5 comes out, it's not worth an upgrade to me if I have to pay more than $100.00.

I'm not saying Knife Edge owes me a discount either--they don't. But I personally don't find it worth my while to fork out a ton of additional cash to upgrade right away. I've been getting the expansion packs too, so the money definately adds up quick. Besides all this, I'm still excited about the latest version.

I just read through more of the posts and I'll be interested to see the system requirements and anything else Jim has up his sleeve. If an upgrade to G5 from my month old G4.5 is $80.00 or less and my just bought PC will run it, I know what I'll be asking Santa for Christmas.

mwilson914 said:
I just got my Realflight G4.5 about a month ago, so it would be nice to have an option of getting a nice discount on G5. I know they did rebates for 3 and 3.5 users to get G4, so I imagine there will be some rebate involved. For anyone in the same boat as me having bought G4.5 and two months later G5 comes out, it's not worth an upgrade to me if I have to pay more than $100.00.

I'm not saying Knife Edge owes me a discount either--they don't. But I personally don't find it worth my while to fork out a ton of additional cash to upgrade right away. I've been getting the expansion packs too, so the money definately adds up quick. Besides all this, I'm still excited about the latest version.
I like the way you think, mwilson, I feel exactly the same way!

jbourke said:
G5 uses the Interlink Elite, just as G4 did. A software upgrade will be available for G4 customers.

Jim

Seemingly G4 or G5 user created models will both be "universal" then? G4 models can still import into G5, and G5 models can import back into G4

pplace said:
Seemingly G4 or G5 user created models will both be "universal" then? G4 models can still import into G5, and G5 models can import back into G4
Could be, but I wouldn't assume that.

Back