get to know "basic"

apollo_13

i want to know more about RF basic (and i have a friend who is interested in purchasing) ... so if you own RFB, please post your pictures, comments, and reviews on RF Basic here

just curious,
Apollo

apollo_13 said:
i was looking for reviews by users
Considering that it's exactly like G4 without certain features, what you're really asking is, "Hey RFB users, tell me what features you don't have that I have. "

didnt really mean for it to go that way... sorry

doesnt it come with a controller

never mind... looked at tn's link and i see that it has an analog

RFB... i like it

I like it, too. It looks like a good alternative for those who don't want to hand over 2 C-notes for a sim.

We need a "Basic users, please be aware of the following: " thread to make SURE they understand that the Add-ons, Expansion Packs, and user created planes DO NOT work with their new SIM.

Otherwise Jeff's head banging avatar is going to wear a hole in that wall!

Would it be an inappropriate use of the forums to place some wagers? Think of the possibilities: how many days until someone asks 1) how do I import aircraft? 2) I bought an Expansion Pack and it says it won't work 3) I know I've seen where people fly online, how do I do it? 4) how do I hook up my own radio, etc., etc. Not to mention when will the first person post who will say he got ripped off because he can't do anyone of those missing features, especially the swaps. :D

hopefully, people will educate themselves about the differences before they buy. I think RFB looks like a great cheaper alternative to the full version. With the exception of the swaps, i bet there's alot of people who don't use those missing features who have the full version, anyway.

Last edited:
If we start getting a ton of the same questions, I'll start a new Basic FAQ thread and sticky it. :)

Thanks Chris McVey

jeffpn said:
Would it be an inappropriate use of the forums to place some wagers? Think of the possibilities: how many days until someone asks 1) how do I import aircraft? 2) I bought an Expansion Pack and it says it won't work 3) I know I've seen where people fly online, how do I do it? 4) how do I hook up my own radio, etc., etc. Not to mention when will the first person post who will say he got ripped off because he can't do anyone of those missing features, especially the swaps. :D
Hmm, I think it's not a question of "how many days UNTIL" but more like a question of "how many TIMES per day..." I imagine the constant posts about "How do I build a model?" "How do I paint a model?" will seem insignificant in comparison :eek:

hopefully, people will educate themselves about the differences before they buy. I think RFB looks like a great cheaper alternative to the full version. With the exception of the swaps, i bet there's alot of people who don't use those missing features who have the full version, anyway.
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff! You expect too much from people :rolleyes: It takes WORK for someone to educate himself about a purchase. FAR easier for them to purchase in haste and make the rest of us repent their purchase in leisure with the barrage of complaints and questions about why THEY can't do what WE can do with the full RF.

There should be a really BIG disclaimer on the box listing the features from RF that are NOT included. Not "mouseprint" but large enough so it can't be overlooked.

DH

mmm... to me it seems... dumb (pardon the bluntness) to have a basic sim to get people into the hobby and buy other great planes products but with ZERO flight instruction... Just my initial thought.

chris, you need to add onto that sticky the following text:

NOTICE:

NO EXPANSION PACKS WILL WORK IN REAL FLIGHT BASIC
NO ADD-ONS WILL WORK IN REAL FLIGHT BASIC
NO PLANES THAT YOU DOWNLOAD FROM THE "SWAP PAGES" SECTION WILL WORK IN REAL FLIGHT BASIC

like jeff said, there will be at least 100 threads with the title being some of the caps above, might sound like you are demeaning your product, but people WILL ask

Last edited:
apollo_13 said:
chris, you need to add onto that sticky the following text:

NOTICE:

NO EXPANSION PACKS WILL WORK IN REAL FLIGHT BASIC
NO ADD-ONS WILL WORK IN REAL FLIGHT BASIC
NO PANES THAT YOU DOENLOAD FROM THE "SWAP PAGES" SECTION WILL WORK IN REAL FLIGHT BASIC

like jeff said, there will be at leats 100 threads with the title being some of the caps above, might sound like you are demeaning your productm, but people WILL ask

Apollo,

You need to use spell check. :rolleyes:

amen to dat...
spel chekc has nevre appeallead to me

IMHO, RFB is like the MD-11... cant compete with the high-end A340's (G4.X series) but can replace DC-10's and older A-300's and A310's (G3.X and lower end FS One and other sims)

might not top the sales charts, but will be the back bone of most frieght airlines (good ol fliers like me looking for a cheap way not to crash a plane)

just my obsession with planes climbing over to the just as big obsession with smaller planes... hope ya like it

Last edited:
I honestly see this as a horrible idea. All you are going to end up with is people trying to get a cheap sim, and when they find out they don't have everything that G4 has, they are going to feel betrayed and go somewhere else for their next sim and return Basic.

IMHO, we need not to compare Basic to G4.X

it is just like buying a plane, do you want the .50 Funtana (RFB), the 1.25 Funtana (RFG4.X) and the .50 Show Time (FS 1)... the .50 Funtana can't do all that the 1.25 can, but costs half the price, but both the .50's are similar to eash other, and are about the same price

we need to compare it with similar software, such as FS 1

i think that the compare chart in the Tower site should compare RFB to FS 1

if you want a Funtana, and read all of the great things about the baseline version (RFG4.X / .90 Funtana) and then decide to buy the .50 Funtana, you will be a little dissapionted about flight charicteristics

apollo_13 said:

we need to compare it with similar software, such as FS 1

i think that the compare chart in the Tower site should compare RFB to FS 1

I don't think they would want to do that.

Basic sounds like a good idea on the surface. But, personally, for what you get I think it's a little over priced. Me? I'll spend twice the money and get four times the program.

Does Basic use the same physics programming as G4.X? If so, I thought that was one of the major changes that required the additional computing power over G3.X. I'm a very basic computer user but I have to wonder, how can Basic have the same physics as G4.X and a reduction in computing power to run it?

Back