get to know "basic"

There are lots of things that slow a computer down.

Basic does have the same physics as G4.5.

What the difference is, Basic has photo fields not 3D field.

This sim is for the new person getting into the hobby who does not want to spend the money on a higher end sim.

What we have done is allow people to make a choice.

This helps a broader range of people in the market.

It's also a complete package with a controller. This allows the new person to be flying right away from a package deal.

Chris McVey

Law said:
I'm a very basic computer user but I have to wonder, how can Basic have the same physics as G4.X and a reduction in computing power to run it?

As stated, by eliminating 3D airfields and the huge 3D terrain database.

Getting rid of tree rendering alone lowers the machine requirements.

Of course other sim's MAXIMUM settings & configuration are about the level of Realflight Basic...

I wouldn't sweat it, Chris. RFB is a great addition to the RF lineup. It allows people who don't want to pay for the bells and whistles of the full version to have a low cost alternative.

jeffpn said:
I wouldn't sweat it, Chris. RFB is a great addition to the RF lineup. It allows people who don't want to pay for the bells and whistles of the full version to have a low cost alternative.

Great addition at the wrong cost. Make it $50, and drop G4.5 to $150. You will move so much product you will be able to buy another Russian stunt plane, jbourke.

Zelatio said:
Great addition at the wrong cost. Make it $50, and drop G4.5 to $150. You will move so much product you will be able to buy another Russian stunt plane, jbourke.
What data are you basing your pricing on? Customers will always say that producers will "move more product" if they'd lower the price. I'm pretty sure companies know what they need to sell their products and services for in order to make a profit and stay in business. I don't think consumers have the necessary facts to set pricing points.

That is true but it's not going to stop people from being cheap.

(Costs to much, give us a better deal, etc.)

Then the company will have to lower it's price, if enough potential customers felt that way. RF has always sold for $200, since G2. Occassionaly you'll find it on sale, but that price seems to work well for KE/GP. If you owned a company, you'd sell your product or service at the price that generates the most profit. There's not a viable company in the world that doesn't do that.

obviously KE knows what they are doing, and what works for them, they have been doing it for a few years

or you could be like movie theatres and make 800% of what it costs and sell a whole lot

Just bought the program, was very suprised that there is no manual either
paper or on the disk. There is a sheet of paper that has load instructions
in 6 different lanquages, and a nicely printed sheet that has Install, Menu/Quick
Select, Reset Button, Wind Settings {Have to look at the wind sock to see what the wind is doing.}, and how to hand launch using the reset button. That's it for
Instuctions, there aren't any more that I can find.
How can you say 'RealFlight Basic offers entry-level training that is fun, realistic,& user friendy.' or 'RealFlight Basic is the perfect no-frills system to get you going.' when there's no directions on how to use the controller or the program. Trying to figure out how to use hardware and software without insstructions is not 'fun' or 'user friedly'.
The software department did an excellent job on the working program ,
but the document department really messed up.
This is probly a good buy for an intermediate RC pilot but not a newbie to RC. I am a licensed pilot so I have some background to draw from, but a real newbie to flying RC planes would probly find a different hobby.
Right top togggle switch is for gear, top left limits control surface movment.
Still haven't figured out how to fly helicopters.

Last edited:
If RFB is like G4 or G5, there is a launcher program included in your RF folder in the start menu. Hit Additional Options, then Read Help File. That's your manual. I'd be very surprised if it's not there.

Surprise,surprise. I can't find an 'Additional Options' or 'Help file'. Program starts with a plane on the runway, no start menu. Start up is just like 'RealFlight G4 Demo'.

Last edited:
Historically, you'll have better luck calling them than emailing them. But if there's no hurry, give it a few days.

Hard to believe, I'll take your word for it. Wow. I mean, I know there'd be no hard copy manual, I don't have one either. But every version I've ever had has a software manual installed with the program.

Back