Gmax and Deep-Exploaration: Discussion Thread

I have been trying to get some practice on 3d modeling and i have question. I have been able to get a box in RF3.5 with texture but how can I turn the box around in DE to travel in the right direction in RF, I used the Rotate object and rotate pivot but this did not seem to work, Also I tried scale the box in DE but it still come out small in RF, the only way too see it is to edit and scale 400%, I know this is not right way. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Brentg

Attachments

• ScreenShot1176589541.jpg
    ScreenShot1176589541.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18
Win Hand said:
You need to rotate it and enlarge it in the 3d modeling software for it to take affect.

That did it :D I think I had to many programs going at once and got a little confused :rolleyes:
Finnally got it to scale and rotate in 3dsMax, I can see this program is going to have a long and deep learning curve.

Thanks

Brentg

Maxkop,

I am using 3ds max but after going thru you tutorial i am sure it applies here, My question, when arranging the pivots for the rudder and and other moving parts, is this only for the movement in the sim? and or seeing the movement in the sim or both. or is something you adjust in sup file ?Since i have only put abox in at this point, I was just curious.

Thanks

Brentg

Pivot objects are only for the definition of the rotating axis of the rudders. G3.5 uses the orientation of the pivot of an element to calculate where the rotational axis is lying. The amount of rotation can be set up variabel through the G3.5 aircraft editor.

Keep in mind that it is always the x - axis of the pivot, which G3.5 will use for rotation of the standard elements like elevator, rudder or aileron, while the rotation of movable pod objects can be specified in dependency of the axis of the compound frame pivot.

Last edited:
Maxkop,

I re-set all the pivot points and the model does fly in RF all the controls work the right way, You can see the surfaces move on the physics model in the editor and the names match up in the editor but still no movement on the graphic model in the sim.
Below is pic with just the rear wing for reference only, with what i thought i understood as the compound pivot you mentioned. Am i on the right track here, this is very confusing.

Thanks

Brentg

Attachments

• 2007-04-19_033632.jpg
    2007-04-19_033632.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
~CS_LME/RME not ~cs_LME :D . ~cs_LME is not found by the .kex - exporter. The ~CS_ - tag is the only critical naming specification on your aircraft names. After that you can name your objects as you like.

Last edited:
Thank you Max,

Just one of the many overlooked things in this saga of making a plane :D
Guess that is why they call it Deep Exploration and 3DS max your brain out LOL.

Thanks again for your help.

Brentg

Good luck with your designs Brent :)

The process is a little painful at the beginning but since you get it once ... it becomes very simple.

Andrzej

Thanks, Andrzej

Painful is a good choice of a word to describe 3d modeling :rolleyes:
I have spent days on this and half my hair is on the floor, and i have a stick with wings :D To all you guys that take the time to make these (complex) models that you do , you have my upmost respect....

Thanks

Brentg

Brent,

I am using DOS based converter but I tried the model in 3DSMAX some time ago and if you need any help, ask here or PM me.

You are lucky you can use 3DSMAX :D
Since I do not have the money to buy so expensive software and I did not want to abuse it, I decided to go hard way using DOS based converter.

Good luck again, you will be building beautiful models soon :)

Andrzej

Try to experiment with material properties in Deep Exploration and you will see the difference, default material values make it appear very shiny in sim.
I am assuming you are using DOS based converter and DE.

Andrzej

It looks like you did not map it properly in gmax...
I do the texture mapping in gmax and hierarchy in DE.

Did you replaced "bad" TGA file with the original one like Maxkop's tutorial says ?
maybe that is the problem.

Andrzej

I did it agian i can email file if someone wants to check.

I did it agian I map a 2048*2048 bitmap like he said. The .tga file was fine but i over wrote it any way. Then use the comand promt converter and it still has a messed up color schemeand when i try to do a new it is still messed up. :(

Back