Grumman F8F Bearcat

you know how to change the colors?
there is an endless number of tricks and adjustments that can be made ... they do not have to be the stock color.

Yeah of course I know how to change the color. I just want to use the ones I made myself they're my first panel lines and rivets.

I tried out your panel lines and rivets on my color scheme last night but ended up going back to mine. Your's look great using them with an Ntga but they didn't show up that well on my fairly dark blue CS using them overlaid on the color like I do. But thanks for uploading them so I could try them out.

with lighter panel lines ...

Attachments

• 201B CV-21-Lighter Panel Lines1.png
    201B CV-21-Lighter Panel Lines1.png
    486.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 201B CV-21-Lighter Panel Lines.jpg
    201B CV-21-Lighter Panel Lines.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 201B CV-21.jpg
    201B CV-21.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 5
with lighter panel lines ...

Your panel lines look better the other way to me. The difference in my panel lines and rivets is I have the silver colored rivets like this plane and I love that look. I actually started to make the blue on my plane darker like this picture, pretty much like BrokeDads deep blue CS, but ended up going back to my dark medium blue. I like the extra bit of blue in it. But that's why I uploaded BrokeDad's Deep Blue CS when he told me I could because that color is pretty much the color in this picture. In the beginning this plane was going to be my release CS but asj5547 created the color scheme and I didn't want to use his CS (gotta get him to release it now). I also liked the roundel on my CS. My CS is a hybrid of the 3F8 #8 plane and this one. But 3F8 flew the F8F-1 so I created a CS like it for the F8F-2 and left the 3F8 off because mine is a F8F-2. I don't feel it's wrong being a bit creative in your CS. I also love the roundel on my CS it's a throw back to the first F8F you see pictures of and the silver rivets from this picture.

Attachments

• grumman-f8f-bearcat-7 (1280x720).jpg
    grumman-f8f-bearcat-7 (1280x720).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Your panel lines look better the other way to me. The difference in my panel lines and rivets is I have the silver colored rivets like this plane and I love that look. I actually started to make the blue on my plane darker like this picture, pretty much like BrokeDads deep blue CS, but ended up going back to my dark medium blue. I like the extra bit of blue in it. But that's why I uploaded BrokeDad's Deep Blue CS when he told me I could because that color is pretty much the color in this picture. In the beginning this plane was going to be my release CS but asj5547 created the color scheme and I didn't want to use his CS (gotta get him to release it now). I also liked the roundel on my CS. My CS is a hybrid of the 3F8 #8 plane and this one. But 3F8 flew the F8F-1 so I created a CS like it for the F8F-2 and left the 3F8 off because mine is a F8F-2. I don't feel it's wrong being a bit creative in your CS. I also love the roundel on my CS it's a throw back to the first F8F you see pictures of and the silver rivets from this picture.

Roundels went with the Red Bar in Jan of 1947. The XF8F-2 Prototype didn't go into production mode until 1948 ...

Just sayin'

Not trying to start a war ...

Damn dude ... lighten up ... Your model is top notch, I am only attempting to do it justice. I am just creating a couple of authentic Color schemes from the time period, ,Getting them as close as possible from the research I have done, and the documentation I have found.

I have shared the template for anyone who may wanted to use, or improve upon them.

There is no rule stating you have to use them, or even like them. I was only sharing.

People are getting to wound up about this crap ...

I am done posting my work ...

I will continue to share in the page swap ... just for those that may be interested ... :rolleyes:

Roundels went with the Red Bar in Jan of 1947. The XF8F-2 Prototype didn't go into production mode until 1948 ...

Just sayin'

Not trying to start a war ...

Damn dude ... lighten up ... Your model is top notch, I am only attempting to do it justice. I am just creating a couple of authentic Color schemes from the time period, ,Getting them as close as possible from the research I have done, and the documentation I have found.

I have shared the template for anyone who may wanted to use, or improve upon them.

There is no rule stating you have to use them, or even like them. I was only sharing.

People are getting to wound up about this crap ...

I am done posting my work ...

I will continue to share in the page swap ... just for those that may be interested ... :rolleyes:

I don't know why you took offensive to my post but none was meant. The only thing I tried to do was explain what I liked about the panel lines and rivets I created and then explained my CS wasn't a true plane but a hybrid of a couple of planes, no offensive was meant by that. But you went to the effort of modifying your panel lines to show them to me in a different way so I thought I owed you an explanation of why I was sticking with mine. Your panel lines and rivets are way better than mine I've said that on more than one occasion. But like everyone here knows I'm a simple guy and like simple things so I just want to use the ones I created, nothing taken from your highly detailed and superior work. Again I said nothing bad about your work I just thought I owed you an explanation of why I didn't use yours because I ask you if you would mind uploading them for me. So no heat in the least was meant I'm sorry you took it that way. You said my roundels went with the Red Bar in Jan. 1947 I don't even know what that is, but here's the two planes I used to create my hybrid CS from if that helps.

Attachments

• 7340308686_ee3ea5d858_b.jpg
    7340308686_ee3ea5d858_b.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 6
  • grumman-f8f-bearcat-7 (1280x720).jpg
    grumman-f8f-bearcat-7 (1280x720).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 6
I don't know why you took offensive to my post but none was meant. The only thing I tried to do was explain what I liked about the panel lines and rivets I created and then explained my CS wasn't a true plane but a hybrid of a couple of planes, no offensive was meant by that. But you went to the effort of modifying your panel lines to show them to me in a different way so I thought I owed you an explanation of why I was sticking with mine. Your panel lines and rivets are way better than mine I've said that on more than one occasion. But like everyone here knows I'm a simple guy and like simple things so I just want to use the ones I created, nothing taken from your highly detailed and superior work. Again I said nothing bad about your work I just thought I owed you an explanation of why I didn't use yours because I ask you if you would mind uploading them for me. So no heat in the least was meant I'm sorry you took it that way. You said my roundels went with the Red Bar in Jan. 1947 I don't even know what that is, but here's the two planes I used to create my hybrid CS from if that helps.

No ... I stated that the Red Bar roundel came into use in 1947 ... nothing to do with your use, or likes of using the white bar roundel (and I like the old school roundels too)... :confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_aircraft_national_insignia

Your first picture and CS is of the F8F-1 Which would be correct for the time period.
the second is the F8F-2, sporting the Red Bar Roundel, also correct for the time period, since the F8F-2 went into production in 1948. That was all I stated from a historical side note ... :cool:

And this was why I decided I was going to step away from posting ... and yet, here I am ... damn it ...

Now, I have grown tired of the silly bickering ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvcnx6-0GhA

Last edited:
Now, I have grown tired of the silly bickering ;)

DDawg. I've written clean replies to you without any heat or bickering in my tone of voice I have no idea why you took offense at anything I said. But it's time to stop now I've told you over and over your work in better than mine, that wouldn't have happened if I felt any heat towards you. The only thing I have is confusion.

You speak of dates and time frames for when things were used but I just painted my plane the way I wanted it to look today. I wasn't trying to maintain any type of historical time frame.

I give, there is a communication breakdown ...

typically, caused by reading interpretation without hearing the pronunciation or, tone of usage of the words.

none of this has to do with whose CS is better.

I just do what I do for sanity.
not to be top dawg.

I give, there is a communication breakdown ...

typically, caused by reading interpretation without hearing the pronunciation or, tone of usage of the words.

none of this has to do with whose CS is better.

I just do what I do for sanity.
not to be top dawg.

Okay.. no sweat. BTW. I just downloaded your latest CS. Thanks for all the cool color schemes!

Okay.. no sweat. BTW. I just downloaded your latest CS. Thanks for all the cool color schemes!

Video of the real replica Bearcat F8F-2P

I think it shows exactly how scale your efforts were done. Your wasting time on doing anything but Scale, Gary ... your T-28 was Amazing, but your F8F-2 is Beyond fantastic.

I know it is extra effort to go beyond the normal ... but in the end, it is an honor to create a skin that exemplifies your work ... anything less is a crime ... LOL

I tip my hat towards your general direction ... I wish I seen this video before I released my latest CS ...

Attachments

• 201-1.jpg
    201-1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 201B CV-21 b.jpg
    201B CV-21 b.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
DDawg, the detail in that CS, (regarding panel line and rivets) and the whole of the plane itself, IS, probably the best I`ve seen in RF, in a long time. I DO like detail ,.... WHEN... , it`s done right,.... you nailed it... BUT, I would love to see some somewhat close up pics of it IN RF, The one turnoff for me sometimes is that a bump map can be to heavy, thus ruining what would be an otherwise great CS, THUS, the request for the pics. just curious. ( I don`t have RF8 at this point):p:p

DDawg, the detail in that CS, (regarding panel line and rivets) and the whole of the plane itself, IS, probably the best I`ve seen in RF, in a long time. I DO like detail ,.... WHEN... , it`s done right,.... you nailed it... BUT, I would love to see some somewhat close up pics of it IN RF, The one turnoff for me sometimes is that a bump map can be to heavy, thus ruining what would be an otherwise great CS, THUS, the request for the pics. just curious. ( I don`t have RF8 at this point):p:p

Are you still flying 6.5?

While I sometimes have a problem with the Normalized maps, AKA "Bump Map" ... the NVidia tool, only can go in steps of 0,1,2, .... on up.

The effects on how deep, or how raised the effect is, is very sensitive. I have found that in most applications, using "0ne", is good enough for most cases.
"Zero" just does nothing noticeable by my eyes, and "Two" ... seems to be too much, depending on lighting and colors used.

As for the difference between RF8 vs. prior versions ... AKA 7.5 and below ... I can say I was happy from going to the upgrade ... I had 7.5 for less than around 6 months before upgrading to RF8. And I was happy ...

However, I see no real advantage for me to upgrade to RF 10. I will never get into VR flying, as it hurts my vision, causing headaches ... which sucks - because the effects are really cool. For me about 5 minutes or less ... and the cost of doing so, I cannot justify (at least to my wife).

Lastly, thank you for the compliments, but I am nowhere near the best painter out there ... I can think of several that are excellent, and way more tallented.

As for panels and rivets ... it is just about the amount of effort you wish to put into the details, and how much you're willing to compromise ... there is no exact science, it is for me a "trial and error" process, and lots of loading up the CS, examine, and back to the paint booth ... it is like everything life ... what you put into your work, is what your end results will be.

That, and always paying attention to the details. The little things go a long way ... however sometimes can be abated.

That is a problem with some, yet others never get enough ... I am somewhere in between ... I spend as much in details till I reach saturation. Then, either burn out, or fade away.

Ddawg the panel and rivets look good in RF-X, not too deep a line cut, (just right) in fact a lot of the camera angles show just painted line effect, like the wing lines and rivets look great but the aileron/flap ribs appear just lines. Might look better in VR ??? Keep up the good work, thanks.

Attachments

• RF-X_x64 2018-06-22 08-34-43-13.jpg
    RF-X_x64 2018-06-22 08-34-43-13.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 5
  • RF-X_x64 2018-06-22 08-35-36-04.jpg
    RF-X_x64 2018-06-22 08-35-36-04.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 4
  • RF-X_x64 2018-06-22 08-36-34-39.jpg
    RF-X_x64 2018-06-22 08-36-34-39.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 5
Technoid are you up for another CS convert, no rush please take your time, I know you have a busy schedule, in fact I would be happy to wait until you have that real world RC kit built, have you started on the kit yet ?

Attachments

• F8F-2 Bearcat Rarebear.psd.rfx
    30.3 MB · Views: 6
Technoid are you up for another CS convert, no rush please take your time, I know you have a busy schedule, in fact I would be happy to wait until you have that real world RC kit built, have you started on the kit yet ?

Here you go I really like this CS and wanted it here so put a rush on it. Thanks for making it

Oh here's a picture to add to the swap page if you want too.

Attachments

• F8F-2 Bearcat Rarebear.jpg
    F8F-2 Bearcat Rarebear.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 10
  • F8F-2 Bearcat Rarebear_CS.RFX
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
Back