Horizon Hobby acquires RealFlight

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
Big news! Please see my post here for more details.

I expect there will be discussion and questions, so I'm creating this thread. That being said, there's a good chance I won't be able to answer many of them, whether because they involve future plans, touch on other private information, or because I simply don't know the answer yet! So please bear that in mind.

Right off the bat I hope to allay any fears you may have. Sometimes acquisitions like this mean a huge change in direction, and/or a team being gutted. I can't discuss intimate details, of course, but I would like to say that the team responsible for making RealFlight for a long time now will mostly move over to Horizon and continue doing exactly that (including yours truly). Horizon is obviously very committed to the longevity of this product. This deal makes a lot of sense.

We're excited for what the future holds! Thanks for being RealFlight fans! We appreciate you all.

Good luck with the aquisition. As a software engineer myself I have been involved with mergers and aquisitions more times than I care to count over the years. Some were good, some, not so much. That said, Horizon has been a good company to deal with for me as a consumer so, best of luck to you and the team going forward!

Present company included. I'm excited to see where RF is going. I'd like to avoid the other "real" airplane SIM's if I can (MSFS 2020, Xplane11, Aerofly FS2 etc). I find them over encompassing and more involved than I'd like to bother with. RF9.5 and beyond suits my needs perfectly.

Great question! A somewhat subtle but significant point is that Horizon purchased the RealFlight assets but not Knife Edge Software the company. KE will continue on, but will no longer be in the business of making RC flight simulations.

Transitioning RealFlight is a complicated task for a number of reasons, including things like this. Frankly, we are still figuring out some of the details. But we knew that would take time and so the sale provides for a sufficient transition period to sort it all out. Thankfully, it is a friendly acquisition which makes that possible.

I think we all see the incredible value of the swap pages content, both looking backwards at everything amassed over the years and looking forward toward what is yet to be created. It is an important piece for us to solve. All I can really say right now is don't worry, it won't all vanish in the night. ?

So the KE (RealFlight) "software team" will become "employees" of Horizon Hobby, right? But if KE isn't part of the transition will there be any "person" left working at KE? And if so can you share the direction they will take? Or will it simply be an empty building to get rid of? Being honest I could see the Swap Pages go away since they cost money and don't really impact RealFlight helping sell RC products like Horizon Hobby is in the business to do.

technoid replied: " Yeah I'd love to be wrong. But in my dealings with buy-outs in the past if it isn't decided by the time the deal is closed that means it's on the chopping block but no ones ready to make it public. "

Awful thought ... we could be stuck with only the aircraft HH wants to sell, when some of the most exciting and advanced planes come from this source. It would also take away our fun and pastime. :cautious:

technoid replied: " Yeah I'd love to be wrong. But in my dealings with buy-outs in the past if it isn't decided by the time the deal is closed that means it's on the chopping block but no ones ready to make it public. "

Awful thought ... we could be stuck with only the aircraft HH wants to sell, when some of the most exciting and advanced planes come from this source. It would also take away our fun and pastime. :cautious:
I agree completely I've been modeling here for years. Because of my wife's health it's the only thing I do. My models aren't the best but they're the best I can do.

yeah technoid. Your models are my favorites. They are consistently well made and consistently excellent flyers. Also, I love the variety of airplanes that you've created. From the amazing DC-4 to the wonderfully whimsical and fun Techair Sea Cruise.
Thanks space boy and yeah I tend to model at the bizarre end of things. That's why I hope the swap pages survive the Horizon Hobby purchase.

Back