How Do I Make a CS in RF6.5?

RG916170

Hi,
I want to know how to make a new CS for a plane in 6.5 using Paint. (a program that came installed on my laptop, I assume it's by microsoft). I saw something on here last year about how to make a new CS in Paint, but I can't find the thread now. While I read the thread I followed the instructions and got pretty far. I just tried it again using what I remembered, but I must be doing something wrong because an error message comes up when I try to open it in Paint. It says that it's not in the right format, or something like that.
The only things I found online while searching were for how to create a CS using photoshop, but I know I can use Paint.
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Paint does not support tga format... so Paint is out. Try Gimp, it is free download and can do what you want..

There is a lot of information about this in designer threads, as this thread should be. Check out RF6 and older version of the product threads.

yup opening a .tga in paint wiil give you an error referencing incompatible format or file type or something to that effect

Yeah

get gimp ?

I just got gimp. I made a new CS for the default RF Piper Cub. I finished it, but I can't get it into RF. I tried saving it to RFX, I tried exporting it, I tried every other thing I could possibly think of. How do I get it from the flat surfaces into RF? I'll include a picture to show what I mean.

I need to get it from the format in the picture I included into RealFlight 6.5.

(BTW, the CS I made is a "tribute" to my favorite band, Avenged Sevenfold.)

Attachments

• TEST1.jpg
    TEST1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 10
Export as a tga with the exact name you gave your original exported and in the same place you opened it from.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I was able to export a CS I made for the Ultra Sport (just something simple to get used to exporting:D).

Attachments

• ScreenShot1399094522.jpg
    ScreenShot1399094522.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 9
I managed to get in 1 more tonight, this one I'll put on the swap pages.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1399102396.jpg
    ScreenShot1399102396.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 14
with all due respect ..wait till you gat past simple color fills before uploading
if you need amy help ask I'd be glad to help you out
heres some homework ....
tip o da day
open the tga in gimp and "save as " a .psd file(or any file that will preserve layers bmp , tiff)
this file format can preserve layers and makes edits much easier now and later ....also a psb file is pretty much essential when you get to making the spec and normals files later on...better to learn the right way from the git go

do all changes on the psd file then "save as" a tga with the same exact nameyou gave it in RF or otherwise transfer the layers to the tga that you made in RF(same one you made the psd file from from the pbd and merge(anchor in gimp) the TGA file ( I "copy merged" the psd file in photoshop and paste that to the tga ) do what works for you
WARNING never anchor the psd file before closing unless you are SURE you want it that way permanently or you will lose the layer separation ............ think twice close once
(psd files can have over a hundred layers ( whats a layer?.. every time you paste something on a psd it automatically makes a new layer ,you can make duplicates or new blank (clear) ones , layers can be combined have different levels of opacity etc. very use full..think of them as a sanwhich with all ingredients stacked from top to bottom with upper layers being the most visible and covering lower ones...good luck if you get confused post or PM me

Last edited:
Maj., I NEVER anchor/merge my .psd layers. When I want to take my work into RF, Ill "copy visible" and paste onto a separate .tga file and export from there. That way, if you have something down the road that you didnt notice or needs changing, you still can.

Why even copy/ merged? Just save as tga. The psd stays open and you keep working and save it as psd. Thats what save as is for.

Its just easier to me in GIMP that way. If you "save as" from a .psd to .tga, you get popups warning about layer flattening, and confirm that. Ill have both open with one minimized. When Im ready for the other its there in a click. Just a personal process I guess.

I get that. For anyone else though it's good to know its possible without the extra steps. We all do things our own way for sure.

Thanks for all the extra info. I'll try that out eventually, but for now I want to master simple colors and designs before I tackle the harder stuff. I just think it'll work best if I go one step at a time...

I think I'm getting a little better at this. I just did this Flatana today. I learned some new techniques, like, notice the white lines I put in certain places, like on the rudder, horiz. stab, and wings. I used the paint brush, flattened it (to make it appear as an oval instead of a circle), and I held down the button on the mouse and just waved it over the areas, and it made those lines.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1399149793.jpg
    ScreenShot1399149793.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 16
  • ScreenShot1399149904.jpg
    ScreenShot1399149904.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 15
Because it did not work that way in Elements
when you "saved as" it always closed the psd..
.you would not lose anything
but you would have to reopen the psd

on my older machine and a 4096 psd with 60 + layers
the delay was annoying ...
after almost 7 years I kinda got set in my ways
I did mention "the Save As' option to the op though guess you guys missed it potatoe potato ... we are only talking an extra 3 seconds max anyhow so no biggie

Back