How to import??

ram1009

I found the import wizard. The first step is to locate the KEX files but there aren't any. What now?

Last edited:
At the place you downloaded the file, there is a Yellow ? mark.
Click that, there are detailed steps to help you.

At the place you downloaded the file, there is a Yellow ? mark.
Click that, there are detailed steps to help you.

I haven't downloaded anything yet. What I'm actually trying to do is find out where RF stores the KEX files so I can move a folder from a different partition to the current partition. I'm migrating from XP to W7.

If you didn't create the model, stay away from kex files. You wasn't the rfx file.

If you didn't create the model, stay away from kex files. You wasn't the rfx file.

I don't understand. RF tells me to import KEX files and I have several KEX files I used on my XP partition in a folder. I thought I just needed to find out where to put the folder under W7. Now you tell me not to use KEX files but rather rfx files? I thought all of the custom models were created as KEX.

What confusion ?
you want a new file from the swap page and you get a RFX or the older g3x

you cant even DL a kex by itself from the swap page as far as I know

sounds like you are extracting rfx files
how have you been doing this in the past and everything playing nice nice in the first place ????

What confusion ?
you want a new file from the swap page and you get a RFX or the older g3x

you cant even DL a kex by itself from the swap page as far as I know

sounds like you are extracting rfx files
how have you been doing this in the past and everything playing nice nice in the first place ????

All good questions. I've been wondering the same thing. I just looked at the swap pages and you're right. I don't remember how I was able to download the KEX but I did and they flew OK for the most part. BTW, what happens when you click on the big green arrow next to the model picture? The confusion I'm referring to is when a novice tries to import and is told to find the KEX files as I was and explained in my original post. If the "wizard" asked a couple of qualifying questions first he could be more appropriately directed to download the proper files to the proper place. Maybe that doesn't confuse you but it confuses me.

Last edited:
it just DL's the file ...but does not tell you what other file may be required like an EA or a certain EX Pack AP for example

Of course its confusing,
The green arrow is nothing but trouble for newbies !.......
And is probably why so many start extracting things after they get an error trying to import a AV because they had no idea the file required the Parent EA file
That's why we say when asked never to use it
Always click on the blue link (file name) instead to get all the info BEFORE you DL it

Last edited:
Of course its confusing,
The green arrow is nothing but trouble for newbies !.......
And is probably why so many start extracting things after they get an error trying to import a AV because they had no idea the file required the Parent EA file
That's why we say when asked never to use it
Always click on the blue link (file name) instead to get all the info BEFORE you DL it

Well, I must remind you that your first words upon entering this thread were "What confusion?". IMHO the whole import process is a mess and appears to have been a mess for years. Hasn't anybody asked RF to fix it?

I just downloaded a file using Internet Explorer and it gave me "airplane name_EA.zip", and of course if you click on it it unzips all the individual files including the .KEX. Is this what you've been doing ram1009?

I haven't used IE for many years so I didn't know it was still doing this.

I just downloaded a file using Internet Explorer and it gave me "airplane name_EA.zip", and of course if you click on it it unzips all the individual files including the .KEX. Is this what you've been doing ram1009?

I haven't used IE for many years so I didn't know it was still doing this.

I don't remember but it seems likely. It's been a couple of years at least since I did any downloading and I don't remember any tutorials at the time so if I downloaded a ZIP file I'm sure I would have unzipped it. I do think, however that my download problem/import problem is solved. Right now I think it's more important to intercept others headed in the same direction. Does anybody have a contact at RF?

I do think, however that my download problem/import problem is solved. Right now I think it's more important to intercept others headed in the same direction. Does anybody have a contact at RF?

This is an IE problem not one for Realflight.

IE ( correctly ) identifies the file contents as being a compressed zip and renames the file during download.

Other browsers leave the extension alone.

This is an IE problem not one for Realflight.

IE ( correctly ) identifies the file contents as being a compressed zip and renames the file during download.

Other browsers leave the extension alone.

Of course we can't control what browsers do but we can certainly ask RF to compensate for what the browsers do that causes it's customers/members confusion. Why wouldn't RF want their customers to have maximum enjoyment from their software?

The software already "compensates".

It CAN import the zip files or the correctly suffixed ones, or different typs of files AT THE SAME TIME...

Nothing to see here, move along.... :rolleyes:

The software already "compensates".

It CAN import the zip files or the correctly suffixed ones, or different typs of files AT THE SAME TIME...

Nothing to see here, move along.... :rolleyes:

Ya know...I don't think we speak the same language. BTW, I'll move along when I'm ready.

If you can't handle English try another language, I speak several.

You've decided to point out a problem that you perceive exists, when it does not.

As such there is NO problem nor point to contacting Knifeedge.

"Move along, nothing to see here..." - Starwars

Back