How to override Windows scaling

Flapper

So, I was fussing a bit about Beta in another thread (not applicable here) and a comment by Ryan caused a light bulb to go off -

I'm running my monitor at 3840x2160. I have Windows scaling turned up to 150% for general use.
In full screen, going higher than 2560x1440 for RF, and all I see is part of the view. Apparently the system is scaling it up by 150%, so the rest is "running off" the edges of the monitor. If I reset Win to 100%, then RF scales perfectly in full screen when set for 2160.
Google says I should just adjust the compatibility properties for the shortcut to disable the scaling for the subject app.
But since the desktop shortcut is a Steam link, that is no go.
I tried doing it on the RealFlight64.exe in my Steam Library..but no go.

Essentially, this fix from RF8, but the settings don't work with Steam/RFE: https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/screens-very-small.53606/#post-336914

Any ideas on how to convince the system to not scale RF (but leave the general setting as is)?

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm not in a position to test it right now, but I would have expected Windows to honor the setting applied to the RealFlight64.exe in your installdir.

We do set a registry entry that specifies that display scaling behavior, and maybe it's causing Windows to disregard the setting in the properties, though I wouldn't expect that. (It used to simply lock out changes to that setting, but that changed at some point.)

This is something we are going to revisit sooner than later as part of our ongoing DX11 work. Perhaps that will shed some light. I'm afraid I don't have a better answer at this time. If you or anyone else discovers something, please share!

For use, this is not a big deal. RF doesn't visually improve at the higher resolutions (yet?). So running at 1440 scaled up 150% looks the same as running at 2160 at 100%. Just odd behavior. Actual FPS goes up with the scaling applied, which makes sense as the adaptor doesn't have to do as much of its thing on near as many pixels.

FYI - I found some threads about other Steam games doing the same thing, and one "solution" was to reset steam.exe to ignore the scaling. But no go there, either....

What happens to the scaling if you launch Realflight by double click RealFlight64.exe file instead of launching it through the steam button (With steam open in the background)?

No change. I do have the Steam aplet (near the clock) running at startup. Opening RealFlight64.exe directly fires up Steam. Any changes to the exe file properties for DPI scaling are reverted back during the launch process. Haven't yet tried it without the Steam client running.

What about setting compatibility properties for the Steam client. Maybe it cascades down to run games?

What about setting compatibility properties for the Steam client. Maybe it cascades down to run games?
Nope. Even if both Steam and RF executables are set in compatibility....some magic reverts them back at run time.

Back