How to Setup DX8G2 for Use with WS2000 Dongle Part I (airplane)

Is there any way to check to see if the dongle is working correctly?
Well, certainly, its a possibility; although, I've never seen it. That said, others on this forum have noted that it seems to be important that the first (8) channels of the Radio Profile are set. Have you skipped any ?
channel #
1 : aileron
2 : elevator
3 : throttle
4 : rudder
5 : rates
6 : flaps
7 : smoke; gear
8 : mode

If you skipped any of the above to assign channels above (8) including but not limited to throttle hold, throttle cut, etc... sometimes the first eight (8) can act flaky... or not work at all.

marcus

If you mean the settings in the DX8, then those do not match. If you mean in the sim, then those look correct.

If you mean the settings in the DX8, then those do not match. If you mean in the sim, then those look correct.
Well, I can't think of anything else; it would only cost money to try another WS2000. If you find that one is defective, I'd think you would be able to get a refund for it (who am I to promise), but as has been pointed out recently, I am nuts !
It does seem strange that only channel (3) would not function; normally when a circuit like this malfunctions its total. On the other hand, the WS2000 is a sophisticated piece of gear... a Spektrum receiver, and a usb gamepad in one small package the size of your little finger! It will only cost you about $39 to find out !

marcus

So to be clear, the channel assignments you mention are for the controller edit in the sim and not the channel assignments in the radio correct? I just got the dongle today so I guess I can try to call tech support at HH tomorrow. What a let down. I've been waiting to try my own radio in the sim only to have it not work! I really appreciate all your guidance on this. I will keep you posted.

So to be clear, the channel assignments you mention are for the controller edit in the sim and not the channel assignments in the radio correct?
yes. to be clear...

Sim: Radio Profile: Select Controller Editor: Software... (all the same set of things)

DX8G2: transmitter: radio channels... (all the same set of things)

WS2000: to the Sim it looks like a usb Windows Gamepad... to the DX8G2 radio transmitter it looks like a Spektrum receiver.

PS edit: part of the problem is that the Radio Profile editor channels are different numbers and the nomenclature is also different from the DX8G2 standard channels (number) and nomenclature (names).

marcus

Okay thanks again. Well this sure is frustrating. It seems actually fairly simple once you have explained it. I will have to call them tomorrow. Bummer!

If it were me, I would create a new airplane model in the Radio. Do not make any changes in the radio. I would create a BRAND NEW profile in the simulator. I would make all channel assignments in the software. That will get you started. The dongle only passes 8 channels. You have to bind the radio to the dongle first.
Thanks for that suggestion. I started by reading Marcus' post with instructions and files for both DX8 and sim. Then as he suggested I tried editing the sim's settings to re-program the throttle. Then I deleted both settings and created a new Arco radio setup, and a new radio profile in the sim. Still no luck. Not sure how to create a brand new profile in the sim?

Interesting. I did that and now the sim randomly sets one channel at plus or minus 100%. So throttle is now working, but at a restart of the sim, the rudder is hard left when the stick is centered. Calibration doesn't help. The next restart, it was the elevator at full down. I hope its the dongle and not my radio! I will call them tomorrow and report back.

If I recall correctly, there's a thread in the RF8 forum about this. I think read that it happens if ANY of channels 1-6 are not defined in the windows joystick settings.

And another thing...

... I find that it helps if the DX8 is not fully charged... instead of 8.5 volts, 7.2 - 7.8 volts. Also, make sure the DX8 is at least 1.2 meters from the WS2000; mine sits 2.1+ meters away from my DX8. If the DX8 is fully charged or closer than 1.2 meters it over-drives the WS2000.

marcus

And another thing...

... I find that it helps if the DX8 is not fully charged... instead of 8.5 volts, 7.2 - 7.8 volts. Also, make sure the DX8 is at least 1.2 meters from the WS2000; mine sits 2.1+ meters away from my DX8. If the DX8 is fully charged or closer than 1.2 meters it over-drives the WS2000.

marcus
Well mine is at 8.1V. It's tough using a laptop to be very far away from the screen and therefore, the dongle, but I'd say I'm at least 3feet away. I will be calling the sim support folks at HH today and I'll post an update.

Good Morning. I spoke with tech support at HH this AM and they walked me through a few tests. They finally assumed that the dongle is defective and they are sending me out a new one. They didn't even want me to return the one I have! I will report again when I get the new one and try it. Thanks all for the help and support.

Well I have bad news to report. This morning I received the replacement dongle from HH and excitedly installed it only to have the exact same result. I am really discouraged. I even addded a 6 foot USB extension cable to the dongle to get it further from the transmitter during binding and control. I can't calibrate the transmitter in the controller settings to correct the incorrect settings for the control sticks, making my DX82G unusable in the sim. I think the only thing left to try is to remove and reinstall RealFlight 9.5. I will try that possibly this evening a report back.

Well I have bad news to report. I can't calibrate the transmitter in the controller settings to correct the incorrect settings for the control sticks, making my DX82G unusable in the sim. I think the only thing left to try is to remove and reinstall RealFlight 9.5. I will try that possibly this evening a report back.
wait wait wait

... first, make sure that you have up-to-date Windows usb drivers first! Remember that the dongle looks to the system|sim as a usb Windows gamepad. Make sure your drivers for usb game ports are up-to-date.

PS edit: what version of Windows are you running ?

marcus

Last edited:
Okay. The reinstall went fine and it looks like the dongle is now working! I will have to do some more tests in the morning, but it looks as if the reinstall of RF was the cure! Thanks. I will report again after I confirm. Strange I never thought that RF was the issue as it was just recently installed on this same system. The only thing new was the dongle.

Back