How to Setup DX8G2 for Use with WS2000 Dongle Part I (airplane)

marcushh777

Select Controller Editor Bug:

How to Setup the DX8G2 for WS2000 Dongle:
-----------------------------------------
The "Spektrum Receiver (7+ ch)" controller is laid out wrong and|or inconsistently for matching with the WS2000 receiver dongle. ( a seperate post describing the problems will follow shortly )

The purpose of this post is to describe (in three parts) how to setup the DX8G2 to work correctly with the WS2000 dongle for (1) airplanes, (2) helicopters, (3) sailplanes. This first part will address the generic sim model for the airplane.

INSTRUCTIONS
------------

Overview: Build a virtual model in the DX8G2 based on the standard Acro default; normal wing, normal tail. Then, assign correct channels to switches for gear; aux1, aux2, aux3. Then set DR/Expo (if desired), and throttle cut|hold (if desired).

(1) Create a new model in the DX8G2 (Acro) type airplane, with normal wing, normal tail. (see DX8G2 manual if you need help)

(2) Select the new model and rename it:
Gen Plane Sim II

(3) go into System Setup for the model:
select Channel Assign
leave the Rx Port Assignments defaults
for all 8 channels

select NEXT

Channel Input Config (set switches)
5 Gear: A port Gear
6 Aux1: B port Aux1
7 Aux2: C port Aux2
8 Aux3: D port Aux3

select LIST

(4) Main Screen

optional
(5) set Throttle Cut on switch H

optional
(6) set the DR/Expo curves for elevator, ailerons, rudder, just like you would for any model at the field. We will be disabling "software DR/Expo" in the controller.
Elevator C 0-100 1-80 2-70
Ailerons F
Rudder G

(7) The DX8G2 is ready;

You will need to plug the WS2000 into an available usb port, start the Rf9.5, and BIND the WS2000 receiver to the DX8G2... works just like out at the field.

We now need to make some changes in the controller, and do some testing. Its all straight forward.

There is a difference between controller channels, and receiver channels. The WS2000 receiver channels are correctly matched to the DX8G2 for input; however, the controller channels are wrong, misleading, and|or inconsistent (full details will be posted shortly). You don't need to be worried about that, because (1) you can't change it anyway, (2) things will just work... instructions below.

(1) Simulation | Select Controller

(2) it should show "Spektrum Receiver (7+ ch)"
if not, go into the dropdown and select it

(3) click "edit"

(4) parts of the layout are obviously wrong, but don't worry, just do the following, and test:

(5) The aileron and rudder should be reversed; if not, reverse them... trust me... if you need to change it later its no problem. channel 1 and 4; by this, I mean check X the box marked Reverse for that channel.

(6) reverse channels 6 and 7 also; same as above.

(7) remove the X from "Enable software radio dual rates and expo"

(8) check X "Enable Software Radio Mixes"

(9) move the switches (toggle them manually):
A should activate controller channel 7
B should activate controller channel 8
C should activate controller channel 5
D should activate controller channel 6

(10) save as "Gen Plane Sim II"

(11) Close the editor and select controller:
"Gen Plane Sim II"

(12) Test Your Plane

(D) Flaps
(C) elev:rates | P51 machine gun
(B) Mode Switch SAFE | AS3X etc
(A) Gear

Fly a plane like the Viper EDF and make sure the Gear retracts, the flaps work all three positions, and SAFE|AS3X selects ok.

You're now set to use your DX8G2 to fly most E-Flite planes and jets (and some others too). There are some models that may require tweaking... this virtual model will not work for helicopters, nor sailplanes generally.

Keep in mind that throttle cut and DR|Expo are being handled by the DX8G2... not the Sim.

Notes: The file "Gen Plane Sim II" is in your documents folder under Realflight / Radio Profiles; its a text file... take a look if you like. You'll notice some inconsistencies here too; again, don't worry about it, and don't manually edit this file.

Let me know how this works for you, ask any questions, and let me know if I need to edit any mistakes or omissions.

PS. edit: It should be noted that the inconsistencies in the controller may be corrected "in the controller" or may be corrected "in the DX8G2"... its a matter of perspective. In my view the "better" method is to correct the inconsistency where it is (in the controller layout); hence, I set 'reverse' for channels 1, 4, 6 & 7 in the controller... not in the DX8G2. In other words, the DX8G2 should 'look' and 'behave' as expected with an actual model. This is particularly true in this circumstance where the Spektrum Receiver (7+ ch) is so badly misaligned.

PSS. edit: I should also mention that the user is not permitted to alter the default controller Radio Profiles. You may make changes (limited) but you must save them to another name; it is not possible to change the defaults.

marcus

Last edited:
Thank you for all the information.

I am new to all this digital radio stuff and a bit overwhelmed. And now trying to get my NX6 to work with the 2000 wireless dongle and realflight is frustrating to say the least. I wish I would of bought the wired controller for the $40 more after getting the program and the dongle.

Hang in there Pullit. There is a lot to learn and it won't happen overnight. You will get the software installed and the dongle to to bind with the transmitter. Every time you set up a new model, you will learn more about the transmitter and soon enough it will become much easier. If you keep doing this a little each day, by the end of the week you will be glad you didn't get the wired interface. Welcome!

Hang in there Pullit. ... If you keep doing this a little each day, by the end of the week you will be glad you didn't get the wired interface. Welcome!
Completely agree. The more I edit with my DX8G2 the better I like it... remember the first day I got it; was so overwhelmed I almost sent it back! Just stick with it... the payback rewards are significant.

marcus

Greetings,
I have attached a compressed zip folder containing the profiles necessary to attach the DX8G2 to the WS2000 for generic airplane support.

The zip folder contains the following two files:

Spektrum WS2000 (Gen Plane Sim II).radioprofile
... this is the Sim controller radio profile: folder: ~/Documents/RealFilght 9/Radio Profiles/

006~6 Gen Plane Sim II.SPM
... this is the DX8G2 model (6) which may be imported to the DX8G2

Both files are required. With these files you can get your airplanes working with your DX8G2 and the WS2000 dongle without having to do the programming yourself. The radio profile is placed into the appropriate Sim folder on your PC, and the DX8 model is imported using the DX8G2 Transport SD Card utility under model System Setup.

Once the files are installed you will need to select the controller radio profile with the Sim Select Controller option, and you will need to select the model on your DX8G2 and then BIND your DX8 to the W2000 receiver... then you're good to fly !

PS edit: CAUTION... I exported the model as model 006~6; be careful when you import that you don't over-write an existing model (6). You'll need to import the model appropriately to match your current setup on the DX8G2... measure twice, cut once.

PSS edit: DX8G2 import|export can be accomplished with an SD card, or with the programming cable. If you have questions please ask, or you can reference the DX8G2 doc.

marcus

Attachments

• WS200 Plane Profiles DX8G2.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 50
Hang in there Pullit. There is a lot to learn and it won't happen overnight. You will get the software installed and the dongle to to bind with the transmitter. Every time you set up a new model, you will learn more about the transmitter and soon enough it will become much easier. If you keep doing this a little each day, by the end of the week you will be glad you didn't get the wired interface. Welcome!
Thank you. I am getting there. I have my real plane up and going. My real flight loaded and flying. I am using the keyboard to move the switch options for now. I am going to try the above steps on it when I can sit down and concentrate.

Thanks for all the help guys. You would think Horizon would have instructions on how to do it. Tech support is a bit lacking sometimes. I called and asked about premade airplane file templates for my NX6 and they said they do not have any. I later found them already in my transmitter. Crazy

Marcus,

Thanks for all the info and help. I have programmed the RF9.5 and DX8G2 as instructed. All functions work except my dual rates. I've tried putting them on switches C,F,G as I believe you describe and all on switch F as I normally do. Either way, no dual rates. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Marcus,

Thanks for all the info and help. I have programmed the RF9.5 and DX8G2 as instructed. All functions work except my dual rates.
Program your dual rates in the radio itself ( they do not need a channel, and you do not need to use the rates in the software controller ).

It works the same as with your real models; except that you also need to uncheck the box in the software controller "Enable Software Radio Dual Rates and Expo". Now, program your dual rates for your Generic Sim Plane model (put them on switch F if you like) and they will work the same in the Sim as they do in your real models.

marcus

Marcus,

Thanks. All is and WAS well. Turns dual rates were working, I couldn't tell till I turned them down to 10%, then I could see reduced throw on control surfaces and model flew appropriately. FYI I have DX8G2, RF9.5 at latest level and WS2000 dongle. I had all the pieces , just couldn't make them work!

Many folks with the DX6, DX8, DX9, NX series seem to forget about the Flight Mode Monitor.

The DX8G2, DX9, has at least two screens for every model... the Main Screen (trims, clock, plane name, personal name, timer, batt, memory slot number, a picture of an airplane, etc) and the Flight Mode Monitor; the Flight Mode Monitor (DX8G2 example) has a graphical layout of all eight channels in this order: throttle, ailerons, elevator, rudder, gear, Aux1, Aux2, Aux3. The way you get to this second screen is by scrolling to the right with the "scroll wheel" control. The interesting thing about the Flight Mode Monitor is that you can test to see that the "throws" and switches for D/R Expo are working; this without going into the D/R Expo settings. So, to say it another way, you can graphically check your gimbals and switches (D/R Expo), throttle cut, and Aux channels by seeing the motion graphically, but also by seeing on the graphical interface the numeric digital values of each channel and how they are affected by DR/Expo, etc.

With the latest firmware on-board the "scroll wheel" control will scroll to the telemetry screens as well. This of course only works for models that actually have telemetry activated; but ALL models have at least the first two screens (Main Screen) (Flight Mode Monitor).

marcus

I have the 200 dongle bound to my DX8G2 and the controller installed in 9.5 using your files. I don't seem to have throttle control in the sim, but it is working correctly in the radio. I have so far made no changes to either file's settings. Throttle cut is off. Any suggestions? Thank you!

I don't seem to have throttle control in the sim, but it is working correctly in the radio.
hi.
Open the Select Controller Editor and select the Radio Profile you created, or imported, for your sim airplanes for use with the WS2000. The 'throttle' is on channel (3) in the Radio Profile on a 'proportional' control. Reset this by 'unchecking' the throttle channel in the Radio Profile... then, click 'type' as proportional, then click the 'blue input' bar ... when the 'waggle' dialogue comes up 'waggle' your left stick (mode two) forward and back, which should 'set' the throttle radio profile channel (3) to your DX8G2 throttle gimbal. (note: the WS2000 has to be BOUND, and your DX8 has to be on for the waggle step)

Any of your inputs may be reset if you like. I cannot say why the throttle channel got 'broke'.

best of luck

marcus

hi.
Open the Select Controller Editor and select the Radio Profile you created, or imported, for your sim airplanes for use with the WS2000. The 'throttle' is on channel (3) in the Radio Profile on a 'proportional' control. Reset this by 'unchecking' the throttle channel in the Radio Profile... then, click 'type' as proportional, then click the 'blue input' bar ... when the 'waggle' dialogue comes up 'waggle' your left stick (mode two) forward and back, which should 'set' the throttle radio profile channel (3) to your DX8G2 throttle gimbal. (note: the WS2000 has to be BOUND, and your DX8 has to be on for the waggle step)

Any of your inputs may be reset if you like. I cannot say why the throttle channel got 'broke'.

best of luck

marcus
Thanks for your help. When I clear the throttle setting and check unassigned, it doesn't repond. I tried clearing and resetting the rudder channel and that worked. Should I re-bind to the dongle?

Thanks for your help. When I clear the throttle setting and check unassigned, it doesn't repond. I tried clearing and resetting the rudder channel and that worked. Should I re-bind to the dongle?
you might try that...

... this is unusual. Something is broke. Have you updated to the latest Rf9.5.031 ??

marcus

Yes I updated to that a few days ago when I first installed the sim. In the meantime I have deleted the radio config file, recopied the one you provided and re-bound my DX82G to the dongle. Same result. There is evidently some throttle being applied in the sim somehow because when it starts the model goes down the runway at far below full throttle. I have also flown my new Blade 120 in my living room minutes ago and the throttle works fine.

I have also flown my new Blade 120 in my living room minutes ago and the throttle works fine.
oh, wait wait wait a minute...

If you're talking about helis on the Sim everything is different... the 'throttle' on the DX8 is the collective on the sim Blade. The sim Blade throttle is the mode switch (B) called idle-up. Switch (H) is not throttle cut, its called throttle hold, and its a different concept entirely.

Startup sequence:
[beginning]
(1) switch (b) pos0
(2) collective full back; DX8 throttle level full back
(3) throttle hold ON

[run up]
(1) switch (B) pos1 ... first idle-up position
(2) collective ... DX8 throttle lever at half position 0 neg collective 0 pos collective
(3) switch (H) throttle hold OFF

... the heli will idle-up wait until full RPM before pulling collective positive

[take off]
advance the collective (pitch) positive; DX8 throttle lever up gently

The heli will take off... now practice practice practice

PS by-the-by... this is what @BrokeDad and I meant by start over... sim models use pos neg variable pitch collective... the 120S uses fixed pitch with throttle! (an entirely different concept...)

PSS read this article: (mine) about DX8G2 and helis

marcus

Last edited:
No sorry. I just wanted to test the throttle on my DX8 to make sure it was working. I'm using the "Gen Plane Sim II" and trying to use the WS2000 dongle on the 9.5 sim. I just flew my blade 120 as it just arrived (with the dongle) from HH today. The 120 doesn't have variable pitch so it seems easy to fly in SAFE. Maybe the plane sim model I imported into the DX8 is corrupt. Although when I check the monitor the throttle is working.

The 120 doesn't have variable pitch so it seems easy to fly in SAFE.
Actually, its the other way round. Fixed pitch rotors with throttle are harder to fly; one of the reasons why 'real' helicopters do not have fixed pitch rotors.
The throttle in the sim helis (and most 'real' models) is tied indirectly through a software mix (curve) to the collective (variable pitch).
Changing throttle on a helicopter is very difficult... which is why most helis use fixed throttle, and variable pitch. A real helicopter does have a throttle control (like a motorcycle throttle) on the collective lever for fine tuning, but real helicopters also idle-up to a relative constant RPM and lift is controlled with a variable pitch "collective"... so called because all rotor blades are "collectively" adjusted together.
Direction is then controlled with the cyclic (ailerons and elevator) stick by tipping what is called the "swash-plate".

marcus

Gotcha. Thanks for that explanation. In the meantime, I tried deleting the Gen Sim II from the DX8 and creating one from scratch. I also deleted the radio profile file from the documents folder and went with the default. Same result. I could not edit the throttle setting in the controller edit function.
Is there any way to check to see if the dongle is working correctly? That's the only element left that could be the problem correct? Also just to be clear I'm trying to set up the dongle to use for Acro not helis. Thanks for your help and patience.

Back