How to Setup DX8G2 for Use with WS2000 Dongle Part III (sailplane)

marcushh777

How to Setup DX8G2 for WS2000 Dongle Part III (sailplane)

Overview:

As promised, this third installment of the "DX8G2 WS2000 Dongle Setup" article is devoted to the sailplane models, many of which will fly well using the "Gen Plane Sim II" DX8G2 model import, and the "Gen Plane Sim II" Sim controller Radio Profile, without modification. These files are attached below so that your controller and DX8G2 may be setup via import rather than manual settings on your part.

I plan to add one additional post to this thread for each additional aircraft that I discuss. I will kick this off by discussing the RF-97 Sailplane (advanced), and the RF-98 Sailplane (Swap Pages). These two sailplanes are the traditional configuration, typical sailplanes, and both will work well with the DX8G2 WS2000 files attached below, as described in Part I of this article.

RF-97 Sailplane
RF-97 Sailplane (advanced)

RF-97 Sailplanes, model gliders, typically have no motor and are either launched off a cliff|hillside or are towed into the air by another powered aircraft. They also typically do not have flaps in the traditional sense; rather, they have a "crow" arrangement of flaperons tied to the throttle gimbal level where "full throttle" is full wing lift and NO flaperons (no "crow" airbrake|spoiler), and low throttle is low wing lift, and full flaperons (full "crow" spoiler|airbrake). The gear is on switch (A), a single fully retractable wheel in the center of the forward fuselage. Ailerons, elevator, and vertical stabilizer (rudder) work as any other airplane.

Whether you use dynamic soaring, or cliff-side soaring, you will want to reduce the wind setting in Rf9.5; this is the page-down key enough times to get the windspeed somewhere less than 20 kph. This is very important for the scaled models (discussed later) that will lose their wings if you forget this point!

RF-98 Sailplane (Swap Pages)

RF-98 Sailplane is based on RF-97 Sailplane, and will work with the radio profile and model import files attached below (as described in Part I); however, the RF-98 Sailplane has a turbine and minimal fuel, in order to carry itself aloft. In this configuration the switch (A) is the turbine thruster (constant rpm), the mode switch (B) is the gear pos2 gear up, pos1 doors open, pos0 gear down. Again, the "crow" spoilers are on the throttle gimbal lever (full throttle, full lift) (low throttle, full "crow" spoiler).

The DX8G2 model import (below) has rates on switch C, F, and G. These are controlled in the DX8G2, so the software rates are deactivated in the radio profile on the Sim. Switch pos0 for each are high rate. (c) elevator, (F) aileron, (G) rudder.

You will want to use camera views F2 (nose) or F3 (chase) and with keyboard option (9) for Heads-Up Display while sailplaning (soaring). The Heads-Up Display shows compass, elevation, airspeed, climb|descend rate, turbine fuel remaining, etc. The color of the display defaults to gold, but may be changed to green or red, as you prefer (or other).

Please see Part I for discussion|instructions for using the attached files.

marcus

Attachments

• WS200 Plane Profiles DX8G2.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 14
Mistral 3m [22]
Mistral 3m [22] (heavy ballast)

The Mistral is truly an elegant glider, and one of my Rf9.5 favorites. Again, the flaperon "crow" configuration is on the throttle gimbal, otherwise everything is normal. This model uses no other switches (other than the DX8G2 rates) so the "Gen Plane Sim II" profiles work fine.

It might be well to point out here that it is often good (for multi-player mode) to scale up the vehicle from 300-400. I normally make my sailplane|gliders that I use in multi-player 400. Sometimes it is also necessary to scale the physics as well to maintain aircraft integrity in wind|thermals. The scale-up makes the aircraft easier to see by the other pilots.

marcus

Europhia 2K (Swap Pages)

The Europhia 2K is similar to the Mistral 3m, but is configured somewhat differently. The Europhia has excellent presence in the sky, great for multi-player soaring, and can be easily scaled for visibility.

Europhia 2K has an electric motor and an elegant folding prop. The motor|prop are on the throttle gimbal. The flaperons "crow" configuration are on the flaps lever; although, they are reversed... full "crow" pos0, partial "crow" pos1, and NO "crow" pos2. The flaperons are interesting in that "crow" pos1 increases the lift of the wing overall, while pos0 is the airbrake|spoiler.

Experiment on this aircraft with the scale and CG for optimal lift as you're thermal hunting!

marcus

Flyzone Calypso
Flyzone Calypso (long range) (Swap Pages)

Calypso is an elegant glider|sailplane similar in most respects to the Parkzone Radian and the smaller Radian (without ailerons). The sleek fuselage and upturned wingtips make for striking presence in the sky, as well beautiful flight characteristics.

The Calypso also is equipped with an electric motor and folding prop, controlled from the throttle. Calypso has no flaps, nor flaperons|spoilers ( this is fairly unique for sailplanes ). The beauty of Calypso is that it may be flown like the Radian (just tail, elevator and rudder) or aileron may be used also. The ailerons are full wing and the glider is very responsive.

CAUTION with the (long range) version. It was not scaled for high wind|thermals. The wings will shear off generally above 44 knots. If you turn the wind down in Rf9.5 it will be fine, just be careful; or alternatively, scale the physics to match the vehicle a little better, perhaps increasing strength multipliers where appropriate.

In any case Calypso also works well with the "Gen Plane Sim II" profiles attached.

marcus

RF-97 Sailplane (advanced)

Revisited:

RF-97 Sailplane is used in the Rf9.5 "Aero Tow" scenario, which uses the "Palace" airfield and a powered tow aircraft. In this scenario RF-97 Sailplane is pulled aloft by the prop driven aircraft, then at the tow aircraft signal (wing waggle) the sailpilot (you) uses mode switch (B) to release the tow cable|bungee.

Switch (B) pos2 cable secure, pos1 cable release prep, pos0 cable release.

The sailplane pilot (you) then soar (thermal wind hunting) until ready to return to the airfield. Keyboard option (7) is helpful for soaring above the airfield for orientation. Always use (9) for Heads-Up display and Nav guides (1) for AGL, ASL, speed, etc.

The RF-98 Sailplane may also be used in the tow scenario; however, rather than the tow aircraft, the pilot is expected to use the plane's on-board turbine.

marcus

Shuriken Sloper (heavy ballast)

This glider is elegance in simplicity; its clean lines and "V" tail are ideal for soaring relaxation!

Shuriken Sloper has no special switches, no flaps, no spoilers, and no motor. It has a software mixed "V" tail which is both rudder and elevator; as well full wing ailerons, very responsive, and great glide ratio.

Of course this model works with the WS2000 DX8G2 profiles without modification.

Shuriken Sloper is a bungee launched glider; so basically, use your mouse to release the plane... the bungee cord pulls the plane aloft (with streamer) and the release is automatic (hook). Then bring the glider back to the Palace airfield from the ground, or use the F2, F3 cameras with the Heads-Up Display.

marcus

Great Planes Kunai

The glider is a traditional configuration; hand launched with electric motor and folding prop.

This sailplane has no flaps; however, the spoilerons are on switch (A).

The Kunai tends to be a bit nose heavy, so experiment with the CG, and trims. Its not a bad glider; very responsive and a lot of fun to fly.

marcus

Bird of Time (legacy aircraft)

This bungee launched glider is a unique two channel configuration; no wing control surfaces whatever, and the rudder is on the right gimbal "aileron" stick. So, elevator and rudder on are on the same stick (right gimbal); the plane handles very much like any other aircraft using only elevator and ailerons, only this model has only rudder and elevator.

Bird of Time has a fabulous glide ratio, and has a great presence in the sky.

marcus

Last edited:
Electrifly Rifle (legacy aircraft)

The Rifle is unique in that she does not have a rudder on the vertical stabilizer! This hand-launched glider has an electric motor with fixed prop and a shorter wingspan; it is very difficult to fly. When the motor is shut down for gliding the prop auto-rotates tending to act like an induction air-brake (w/ negative current!).

This is a nervous noisy little aircraft with very quick response which also tends to be somewhat nose heavy.

This model has F1 - F4 cameras including tail, and wingtip camera.

marcus

Fling llm Hand Launch (legacy aircraft)

The Fling is another true elegant glider (two channel) which has no wing control surfaces, upswept wings, and tail with elevator and rudder; the pilot has two options for rudder control since the horizontal stick of both the left and right gimbal may operate the rudder (this is a little strange).

This glider is an excellent hill-side soaring machine, has a nice presence in the sky, and is a relaxed pleasure to fly.

marcus

Multiplex EasyStar (legacy aircraft)

The EasyStar has great flight characteristics, sports an electric pusher prop, and two channel control on the right gimbal; rudder and elevator. The wing is upswept near the wingtips similar to the Calypso, and the Radian. The pusher prop acts like an induction airbrake (auto-rotation) during gliding.

This model has F1 - F6 cameras including reverse nose, wingtip, and tail camera. She is very easy to fly, even for beginners.

marcus

Great Planes Spirit 100

Spirit 100 is a traditional configuration sailplane, three axis control, with flaperons spoilerons on the throttle Gimbal, software mixed aileron|rudder coordination on the right aileron stick, and independent rudder control on the left rudder stick. It is a delight to fly.

The spoileron flaps work with full wing lift throttle gimbal full, flaps (increased lift) with the throttle back half-way, and spoileron "crow" with the throttle full back.

This glider has great lines with upswept wings and large wingspan. Cliff-side soaring with the Spirit 100 is a breeze!

marcus

Hello.
I am new to RF9.5. I want to use RF9.5 controlled by a Spektrum DX10T and the Spektrum WS2000 dongle to fly the RF-97 Sailplane. Is or would it be possible to manually release the tow line? Now the scenario involves automatic release at a certain altitude. The RF-97 is very nice, it even has the implementation of a retractable landing gear, it only misses the possibility of tow release at one's will. This would give the user the possibility to practice rescue release in case of dangerous situations during towing, quick release after takeoff for landing practice, etc. The DX10T is a 10-channel transmitter, the WS2000 supports 8 channels, so the resources should be enough. Thank you!

The RF-97 is very nice, it even has the implementation of a retractable landing gear, it only misses the possibility of tow release at one's will.
Yes, the RF-97 is very nice; but you are mistaken. The manual tow release works just fine; on switch (B) which is normally the 'mode' switch. Switch (B) pos2 is safety latched; Switch (B) pos1 is prep for release; Switch (B) pos0 releases the tow. To use the aeto tow scenario click upper left Simulation, then select scenario, then aero tow (should be top of list).

Here is the tricky part; you need to put your DX10T switch (B) on one of your Aux channels; doesn't matter which one. Then in the Select Controller Editor uncheck the channel 8 'mode' (right most checkbox) and then click the switch bar in the center for tri-state switches-- when you get the dialogue to waggle your switch control on the DX10T waggle switch (B)... the radio will need to be BIND (bound) and ON... make sure that switch (B) all three positions work ... again, pos2 is normally latched, pos1 is prep for release, and pos0 releases... if this is reversed in your setup then check the 'reverse' box to fix that.

Best of luck... the RF-97 and the RF-98 are my favorite sailplanes for aerotow and cliff soaring.

PS edit: be sure to read this article: will be similar for your DX10T:

marcus

Last edited:
Hello again, Marcus.
Thanks for the tips, I finally managed to do it. I do not know why it has to be three-positions (normally latched / prep for release / release), I managed to do the release with a normal two-position switch (latched / released), exactly what I intended. The only frustrating thing is that I would have liked to use for this one of the push-buttons on the sticks of the DX10T. Unfortunately, these push-buttons move only half of throw (0 - +100), while the regular two-position switches move the full throw (-100 - +100), and because of this I was not able to make the tow-release work with one of these push-buttons (while a push-button would be the logical solution). I have to dig further to see if I can make these push-buttons work the full-throw.
Once again, many thanks.

and because of this I was not able to make the tow-release work with one of these push-buttons (while a push-button would be the logical solution). I have to dig further to see if I can make these push-buttons work the full-throw.
Once again, many thanks.
If you open the plane (RF-97) in the "editor" and take a look at the nose while you operate switch (B) you will see what I mean by 'latched' vs 'prep' vs 'released'.
What you might try is to set the release in the editor to two position and then use the zero point ( 'prep' ) as latched and the +100 point as 'release' then your gimbal buttons might work fine for you; but again, the trick will be to put the gimbal button(s) on one of your free aux channels on the DX10T. Then set that to the mode switch channel (8) in the controller editor.

Neither here, nor there, but what's your opinion of the new Spektrum NX line ? ( I'm pumped about it! )

PS edit: having been thinking about this some more; the 'prep' might actually be a 'safety'; so that if the force gets too strong, or if the angle gets too high, it releases rather than bringing one or both aircrafts down. Might have to research this in the soaring community.

marcus

The issue with the push-buttons on the sticks of the DX10T is that they move 0 - +100%, while the normal two-position switches move -100% - +100%. Any of the normal two-position switches are suitable for the tow release, but not the push-buttons on the sticks (at least not yet, until I discover how to make them move from -100% to +100%, like the normal two-position switches do).
The Spektrum NX transmitters are nice for those who decide it is worth to invest in all the components of the NX environment, otherwise I do not see the benefit for those not operating other NX components as well.

Shuriken Sloper (heavy ballast)

This glider is elegance in simplicity; its clean lines and "V" tail are ideal for soaring relaxation!

Shuriken Sloper has no special switches, no flaps, no spoilers, and no motor. It has a software mixed "V" tail which is both rudder and elevator; as well full wing ailerons, very responsive, and great glide ratio.

Of course this model works with the WS2000 DX8G2 profiles without modification.

Shuriken Sloper is a bungee launched glider; so basically, use your mouse to release the plane... the bungee cord pulls the plane aloft (with streamer) and the release is automatic (hook). Then bring the glider back to the Palace airfield from the ground, or use the F2, F3 cameras with the Heads-Up Display.

marcus
Hey Marcus,
I can't seem to find the EA for the Shuriken... Has it been removed from the Swap Pages ?

Back