Howard 500 Build Thread

Looking good, Doug. One of my Favorite Aircraft right there :)

Are you going to make custom props in the colors of the aircraft? that would be nice too. :D

Last edited:
Are you going to make custom props in the colors of the aircraft? that would be nice too. :D
Truthfully, I haven't made up my mind on that. I wanted to see what it looked like in RF first. If I remember, there is one stock prop that is close (at least yellow tipped).

Plus I would need a readable close up of the logo on the prop in order to duplicate it.

According to the website where most of the information on the Howard can be found, tpaero.com, the props are off a Constellation or DC-7 and those are Hamilton Standard 34E60 Hydromatic propellers mounted to a Corsair's 4 blade hub. This information is coming from the mechanic that works directly on the plane.

In the early 50's Hamilton Standard opened their Windsor Locks, CT. facility so the logo that would be on that prop would be the attached image.

Attachments

• logo_hamilton.gif
    logo_hamilton.gif
    202.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hamilton Standard, bah!! :rolleyes: Hartzell is the best!!! :D

(Interestingly, their logo uses the same colors!)

I was just planning on using the default blur disk for this prop, but RF no longer seems to have one. The prop starts spinning and it just vanishes.

Anyone else run into this issue?

I was just planning on using the default blur disk for this prop, but RF no longer seems to have one. The prop starts spinning and it just vanishes.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Do you have your blades oriented horizontally and so one is 15% down from the top? With a 2048x2048 that's about 307 pixel down. A row of pixels at that point is used to texture the blur disk.

Hi guy... I'm fascinated with the Howard 500. I wanted to take a peek at what you are developing. I spent months looking for info and pics trying to get the TP Howard 500 repainted for flight simulator. My repaint work is not perfect, and needs refining, and the interior is still being worked on. Also, created the illusion of R-2800's engines for this model. By the way, model by Milton Shupe. I've been in contact with Charles Loud III, who created the RC kit. Only one kit has been sold, and the guy is to busy to build it. With a 168+ inch wing span, what a monster! Anyways, I'm a big Howard fan! Hope it's ok with you guys if post a few pics.

Attachments

• TFR-1.jpg
    TFR-1.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 18
  • TFR-2.jpg
    TFR-2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 20
  • TFR-3.jpg
    TFR-3.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 14
  • TFR-5.jpg
    TFR-5.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 16
I checked the Prop TGA file and 15% is pretty much dead center of one of the blades. Maybe scale has something to do with is as I tested it on a small electric.

Attachments

• Howard Prop.jpg
    Howard Prop.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 9
I've got two blades mapped to different spots on the same TGA file (decal needs to be reversed on CW prop), but are individually exported to their own KEX files. They show up correctly as CW or CCW rotation is selected.

I still seem to be having trouble getting the blur disk to show up though. I've got a PropDisk modeled and it seems to import correctly and create the right files.

Attachments

• Image18.jpg
    Image18.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
'm still trying to fix my custom prop. A tut would be nice as this seems to be the only outside the box issue with custom props.

I tried redoing it with individual MAX files, each with a unique texture and still no joy.

Has anyone actually gotten the blur disks to work?

Making some progress on the prop. Full side view looks fine, has the proper profile and blur. As you turn face on, you see the default blur disk come into view and it is much too small. Turn a little more and the side view diapears leaving the small blur. And of course static looks fine.

Attachments

• Prop1.jpg
    Prop1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Prop2.jpg
    Prop2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Prop3.jpg
    Prop3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 9
  • Prop4.jpg
    Prop4.jpg