Interlink dx issues

OrangeCrush1981

Good day to everyone. I am new here and to realflight. I've had zero issues with the install process. My problem is the interlink dx. First off when it works there is about half a second delay. I've tried calibrating it more than once. Just very glitchy. I exit out of the program and reopen the simulator and now I just get an device error. I remove the controller under device manager and it will work again for a little bit. Still with horrible lag. Please help me out if you can. I have it on windows 10 laptop. Core i5 with a Nvidia 3050ti graphics card. Thank you all for any help.

My problem is the interlink dx. First off when it works there is about half a second delay. I've tried calibrating it more than once. Just very glitchy.
I have it on windows 10 laptop. Core i5 with a Nvidia 3050ti graphics card. Thank you all for any help.

It is important that the Interlink DX controller be plugged in 'before' starting Rf9.5

The InterlinkDX should be calibrated twice; once in Windows, and once in the Simulator. Calibrate in Windows first, before starting Rf9.5. It may be possible that your usb port is not working correctly, or does not support the requisite power levels. You might try to use a powered usb port expander, and|or trying another usb port.
It is possible, though not likely, that the DX is defective. Also, it may be that your windows may need update, or driver support update. Which notebook are you using ? (make and model)

Also, you may find it helpful to shutdown any un-needed services, programs, apps, etc... also, for diagnostics, unplug from the Internet and retry... sometimes 'lag' is the systems processing un-needed (and useless) services and|or malware, etc. I often run my simulator off the network for this very reason.

marcus

Thank you Marcus. I will try all of your suggestions. I am using a brand new Acer Nitro 5 laptop. It is weird that when I first plug in the controller the computer makes the noise and recognizes it. Then after a period of time the computer will make that same noise and now it says there is an error. I restart realflight and it says to plug in a controller. I will try and expander. I will have to order one or pick one up somewhere. Thank you again. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

So I installed it on another laptop. Nothing close to powerful. It installed fine and the interlink dx worked just fine. So I can play it on that laptop but slow as can be. So I'm not sure why on my new gaming laptop it just doesn't seem to want to communicate with the controller properly. I ordered a USB to usb-c adapter to see if that might work.
It works just fine on my old weak windows 10 laptop. So nothing wrong on the simulators end.

It is important that the Interlink DX controller be plugged in 'before' starting Rf9.5

The InterlinkDX should be calibrated twice; once in Windows, and once in the Simulator. Calibrate in Windows first, before starting Rf9.5. It may be possible that your usb port is not working correctly, or does not support the requisite power levels. You might try to use a powered usb port expander, and|or trying another usb port.
It is possible, though not likely, that the DX is defective. Also, it may be that your windows may need update, or driver support update. Which notebook are you using ? (make and model)

Also, you may find it helpful to shutdown any un-needed services, programs, apps, etc... also, for diagnostics, unplug from the Internet and retry... sometimes 'lag' is the systems processing un-needed (and useless) services and|or malware, etc. I often run my simulator off the network for this very reason.

marcus
I've come back to thank you Marcus. I finally bought the externally powered USB hub. 3.0. I am happy to say that this resolved the issue with the remote. Not sure why it works. Just glad to say your suggestion worked. So thank you sir and have a good weekend.

I've come back to thank you Marcus. I finally bought the externally powered USB hub. 3.0. I am happy to say that this resolved the issue with the remote. Not sure why it works. Just glad to say your suggestion worked. So thank you sir and have a good weekend.

You are most welcome. Just for completeness, the reason the powered usb hub 'works' is that many notebook computers are not designed to supply the current levels that some modern devices need to operate correctly; like track ball mice, certain video cameras, many different modern keyboards, and the InterlinkDX controller, just for a few. The powered hub not only expands the usb ports of the notebook computer, but it also provides adequate power levels (that is current) for the 5v supply.

marcus

Just tried an all 2.0 unpowered hub with 4 ports. That also worked. So no idea WTF is up. I ordered it from Amazon a few days ago and it came after I didn't want to wait anymore so I bought the powered hub. Oh well happy camper here either way.

That being the case (?); the issue cannot be a 'current' issue per se. It has to be a connector issue. So, the physical connection is at issue with the InterlinkDX plugged directly into the Notebook. The connectors are just ever so tighter , or 'better' , in the hub. Its a toss-up which is the culprit ( the Notebook, or the Interlink ) , but I would tend to suspect the Notebook. This situation is indeed interesting.

marcus

I had the same issue with the InterLink DX, and purchasing an AC powered USB Hub fixed this issue in both my desktop and laptop. So it seems the DX controller sucks to much power.

It worked in the unpowered 2.0 USB hub as well. So shouldn't that eliminate the controller needing too much power?

In your case, yes. I suspect (having never seen it nor tested it) that you have a defective connector someplace (marginal).

If it only works with a powered hub, then its an issue with the notebook not supplying enough juice for the Interlink. If it works with 'any' hub expander, then its a connector issue.

marcus

Hi Marcus,

I have a similar problem as above and in another post you responded to and have been in contact with RF's support and they can't seem to resolve the issue with my controller either.

For background, I've installed and uninstalled the RF 9.5 program 10 times in my attempts to rectify the controller issue (and we're talking about full uninstalls/re-installs). 5 times I've plugged the controller in before installing RF 9.5, 5 times after installing RF 9.5 and each time the same thing happens that you read in another post about the error messages of plugging a RF controller in and the same windows error codes (I get 10 and I think 43 or something similar). I'm operating Win10, 64bit, with 16Gb ram/Nvidia 3080.

When I look into the device manager, I'll see the interlink Icon (looks almost like a back up power supply) but it's not functioning properly and not recognized as a joystick. In the USB area the usb port will have the little '!' icon and say it isn't working and when I troubleshoot it/apply the fix/reboot the computer, the interlink icon now turns into an unrecognized device, the usb controller doesn't show the 'Generic Joystick' driver (not that it ever did), and I just can't get the controller to function at all. RF support is at a loss and wants to replace it with 'a WS2000 dongle and a Spektrum DXs radio' but I'm not sure that would work.

The sad irony in all of this is that I couldn't get RF 9.5 to work without a controller - and lo and behold a microsoft Xbox one controller works with the program - go figure.

I don't think the 2 DVDs that RF supplies when you purchase the program w/controller (I got mine yesterday, 9/15/21) through Amazon) actually comes with or installs the Interlink DX drivers. I've also done an internet search for 'Microsoft generic joystick driver', 'generic joystick driver', 'InterlinkDX joystick driver', and 'InterlinkDX driver' unsuccessfully.

Any advice?

Last edited:
The sad irony in all of this is that I couldn't get RF 9.5 to work without a controller - and lo and behold a microsoft Xbox one controller works with the program - go figure.

The InterlinkDX controller is not proprietary, other than its physical layout... its a usb game-pad control device (just like any other game-pad control device) similar to the Xbox controller.

Any game-pad controller will work with Rf9.5. I would try to negotiate with HH for a replacement for your InterlinkDX controller. The WS2000 dongle and any eight channel (or higher) Spektrum radio (DX8, NX8, NX10) will work fine too. You can also use the NX10 connected directly to the computer via supplied usb cable; although, in my opinion the supplied cable is a little short... I use a 3' usb extender cable on mine.

marcus

Spyryt try a USB hub like Marcus told me to do. Are all your USB connections 3.2? All mine are and that's where I think a hiccup is. Did you try installing on a different computer? There seems to be something the controller doesn't like about newer USB ports. Good luck with it all. I feel your frustrations.

OC is correct. It seems the interLink DX does not work with USB 3.2 ports. So any USB hub that is not 3.2 should work whether powered or not. I have tried both my USB 2.0 hubs they both work perfect. One powered and one not powered. Maybe they will fix this but I highly doubt it. So the work around is to just use older USB ports or hubs. I did not get a chance to try my usb 3.0 hub since we just moved and I have not unpacked that box yet.

Hey guys,
This post is as much, or more, for anyone else with similar issues. I spent the whole weekend (wasted it) with similar issues with the Spektrum DX Controller. I tried USB 3.0 ports (even on the rear of the PC, those mounted directly to the Mobo) but rarely could even see any "activity" (movement of any of the control-levers/sliders) in the device calibration screen. Most of the time Nothing at all happened (other than the orange light glowing on the controller). USB 1.0 or 1.1 ports were totally Useless, always giving an error something to the effect of Windows not recognizing the device. I was beyond Frustrated this morning when as a last resort I tried one of what I always thought were white colored USB 1.0 ports (or 1.1, there's 4 of them all together) on an add-in Rosewill Card-Reader and USB Hub that I had mounted in the front (under 2 optical drives, in a 3rd optical drive bay), but they're really USB 2.0 Ports! To my great Surprise, the DX (finally) started working! As mentioned above, I then first calibrated it in Windows (Devices and Printers), then again in RealFlight 9.5. It's now working perfectly. The moral of the story seems to be this, try a USB 2.0 port, or get a hub with at least one USB 2.0 port. I sure hope the developers do something about this because such controller "issues" are not normal, in my decades of PC experience!

Last edited:
Good day folks. I struggled with this issue for a few hours, but resolved it with the knowledge here. I think OC/MrCntry/LoneWolf's diagnosis is right on. I usually run macs, so I bought a new MSI laptop this week just to run RF9.5, so I was very annoyed that I couldn't use the interlink controller--just kept getting the malfunction and communication error messages. My xbox controller would run through the USB, and the interlink worked on my 2018 iMac, so I assumed that none of the hardware was 'defective' per se. I was about to order a powered hub to try when I found an older unpowered hub sitting around. Ran the controller through it and it and now all works great.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice regarding the USB port issue. I have a Dell Inspiron 7506 that was having InterLinkDX USB port issues. With everyone's advise I simply went and purchased a non-powered 2.0 USB port, 4 to 1 adaptor and resolved all issues. I was pulling my hair out for a whole evening until I found this thread and simple fix.

Thanks

Back