Issues with Radeon 5700 XT

So I have a 5700XT and am dead in the water with RF9.5. RF has had this issue since July of 2020 and it appears that it is not doing anything to fix the real problem. I only bought the 5700XT because at the time I built the new PC and still to today other graphics cards are stupidly expensive and one would cost more than the rest of my PC.
I had RF G4 and it was OK. I upgraded to 9.5 and bought the full game with the "updated" controller, NOT. It works on my Dell I7 laptop, but from what I see RF has only updated some models and claims the new controller is something special, it is not much of and update for the money.
I agree that RF should start updating their product if they want to get new customers the current product is really nothing new, just lipstick on a pig.
I would like a complete refund for RF, I could put the money towards buying new planes and actually have something for my money.
I have noticed that HH seems to be going downhill quickly and lots of customers are dissatisfied with their customer support and poor quality controls on their models.
If HH wanted to really up their game they would use RF as an interface to program their RXs and TXs. They would not have to totally redo the program they could write an interface to convert the RX and TX setups into their current model code. This could up the sales for RF because their current RX interface is rather crud at best.
I could go on and on, but it seems that getting RF fixed to work with my graphics card is going nowhere.
HH up your game and fix this problem!!!

I recently installed a Radeon 6900XT and then promptly ran into this issue. Realizing that I've been using RF9 for a while, along with the fact that some 5700** users were able to run it with specific versions of the driver, clearly it can work. It's just that I don't know anyone who would want to go back to an old driver just for this one game.

I have a reliable workaround which should work fine as long as you have some disk space to spare and a machine that isn't ancient. You can install VMWare (it is free for non-commercial use) and then install any version of Windows with DX9.0c support in a virtual machine. Then install RealFlight in that VM. I've currently got this working with my main machine running Windows 10 (latest updates and latest AMD drivers), but then I have Windows 8 installed in a virtual machine. Everything works with full detail no problems.

Last edited:
^^^ I installed VMware and after some fumbling around, managed to get Windows 10 installed, then RF 9. It works! The frame rates are slower, but still acceptable. I'm simply running a reduced window size to recover some of the FPS loss. Also, the sound volume is way down, but I can still turn it up into the 60's to hear things. This will work until RF 9.5 is made compatible with DirectX 12 (I hope).

Crazy Ivan (host on multiplayer) is back! LOL!

^^^ I installed VMware and after some fumbling around, managed to get Windows 10 installed, then RF 9. It works! The frame rates are slower, but still acceptable. I'm simply running a reduced window size to recover some of the FPS loss. Also, the sound volume is way down, but I can still turn it up into the 60's to hear things. This will work until RF 9.5 is made compatible with DirectX 12 (I hope).

Crazy Ivan (host on multiplayer) is back! LOL!

Glad it worked for you. Regarding the sound, it seems that you need to just increase the volume on the host version of windows. That sort of sets the 100% point for anything running in the VM.

Glad it worked for you. Regarding the sound, it seems that you need to just increase the volume on the host version of windows. That sort of sets the 100% point for anything running in the VM.

For the record, I upgraded my home-built desktop computer to an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero mobo a few months ago. It took me a while but I finally got the final piece; an ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT Phantom OC Edition graphics card a few days ago. Of course, RF 9.5 worked fine until I installed the 6900 XT, along with AMD's latest video drivers. Heh!

i have a new computer with the radeon rx 6600 xt card and clearly RF 9.5 isnt working. does anyone know what driver would need to be installed to make it work

20.11.2 is the last version that works for me. I haven't tried the new one from today.

This is on my last windows computer. I won't have another one. Windows is a disjointed mess that requires hours and gigs of updating. I am moving to Arm based macs, they are expensive, but super fast and lots of battery life.

This means that realflight will get left behind at some point, but that's what happens when they won't update to use something more portable or modern than directX 9.

20.11.2 is the last version that works for me. I haven't tried the new one from today.

This is on my last windows computer. I won't have another one. Windows is a disjointed mess that requires hours and gigs of updating. I am moving to Arm based macs, they are expensive, but super fast and lots of battery life.

This means that realflight will get left behind at some point, but that's what happens when they won't update to use something more portable or modern than directX 9.

was that for me and the rx 6600 xt? if so when i download that driver it wont allow it to run saying not compatible and it stayes with the radeon current driver

was that for me and the rx 6600 xt? if so when i download that driver it wont allow it to run saying not compatible and it stayes with the radeon current driver

The driver that was listed is not compatible with the 6000 series cards. It is an old driver for the 5000 series cards. There are no 6000 series cards that are directly compatible with a driver and Realflight.

What a shame. I have used it since the beginning. Will get a refund from steam. Sure Nvidia may work for a while, but it's obvious that RealFlight will not survive, with a 20 year old API for long.

Back