Issues with Radeon 5700 XT

21.10.1 did work, as far as it not locking up. But then I got a Error:D3DERR_INVALIDCALL File: DXDevice.cpp Line:118

It has been mentioned a few times already that AMD and DX9 do not mix anymore. AMD has stopped support for DX9. Now they won't go out of their way to break it but if a DX9 software stops working because AMD updates something, AMD isn't going to fix it. The only fix that 100% works is going with an non AMD GPU.

I want a refund. This is $99 software that is still running on ancient DX9. I'm upset that they've "updated" this to version 9.5 but the only updating I see is the addition of more aircraft. I can't run this on a system using a Ryzen 7 5800x and an RX 6800 XT OC. That is ridiculous. I have had ZERO issues with every other game I have played on this system. I can play games from more than 10 years ago, why? Because those software developers have update their software to run on OpenGL and DX11 or better.

Some good info posted here. Looks like I better stay with NVIDIA if and when I upgrade my computer.
Thanks people !!!!

I want a refund. This is $99 software that is still running on ancient DX9. I'm upset that they've "updated" this to version 9.5 but the only updating I see is the addition of more aircraft. I can't run this on a system using a Ryzen 7 5800x and an RX 6800 XT OC. That is ridiculous. I have had ZERO issues with every other game I have played on this system. I can play games from more than 10 years ago, why? Because those software developers have update their software to run on OpenGL and DX11 or better.

Unfortunately Realflight's game engine requires DX9 to operate properly. They have talked about changing to a newer version of DirectX for the past 10 years, and it hasn't been feasible to do so without a complete rewrite of the software. RF-X was a start but it lacked many of the features of Realflight and ultimately was a bust. Maybe in the future with new ownership they can look at upgrading to a newer version but in the meantime I suggest you dump that AMD GPU and get a decent GPU from NVidia that works perfectly fine with older API software. :D

Have sent my bug report to AMD, not sure what else I can do.
I'm not downgrading, everything else I run lives in the current decade.

For the record, I'm not really adding anything to the conversation with this, it is what it is and KE will deal with it however they are dealing with it, but;

It isn't just AMD's issue, responsibility lies on both parties.

I understand that backwards compatibility is important, but to what extent?
Imagine the size of the driver that supports +30 years of DX API changes...
Imagine the time and effort that goes into producing that driver, that could be better spent on better and more optimised features in current and new API support - that in turn can be taken advantage of by KE, and any other developer...

How long before NVidia also drop DX9 support?
Can guarantee that they will, it just isn't worth the time.
Do they support DX8? No.
Would you expect them to? No, that absurd - who is even using it to warrant support?
It's only one year older than 9, so why are we still on 9..?

I will buy the result of the hire, from the job as posted last year, in a heart beat if it means it works on current and future hardware. But a long wait until then I assume.

If HH offers another version of RF without updating DX, is there a good reason to purchase ?
Only if they expand some real serious new models / airports !
It really is time to upgrade the software - including Airport and Aircraft editors.
Here is hoping HH is serious about the product and support. Go HH .......

If HH offers another version of RF without updating DX, is there a good reason to purchase ?
Only if they expand some real serious new models / airports !
It really is time to upgrade the software - including Airport and Aircraft editors.
Here is hoping HH is serious about the product and support. Go HH .......
I agree Job One should be updating to a newer version of DirectX that's supported by the graphics card companies and we've already seen that AMD isn't supporting DX9 and that throws out tons of the people that buy and want RealFlight. Let's be honest who should have to buy another graphics card to get a simple program like RealFlight to run on their computer. This isn't rocket science. Lucky for me I always use Nvidia cards.

Unfortunately Realflight's game engine requires DX9 to operate properly. They have talked about changing to a newer version of DirectX for the past 10 years, and it hasn't been feasible to do so without a complete rewrite of the software. RF-X was a start but it lacked many of the features of Realflight and ultimately was a bust. Maybe in the future with new ownership they can look at upgrading to a newer version but in the meantime I suggest you dump that AMD GPU and get a decent GPU from NVidia that works perfectly fine with older API software. :D
I don't think I should need to buy a new video card, especially now when that is difficult without large sums of money. This one works just fine with EVERY other game I've tried. Including Star Wars : Knight of the old republic still using DirectX 9. Something else is broken.

I don't think I should need to buy a new video card, especially now when that is difficult without large sums of money. This one works just fine with EVERY other game I've tried. Including Star Wars : Knight of the old republic still using DirectX 9. Something else is broken.
Yep ... RealFlight is showing it's age and lack of progress. The way software is progressing, if HH doesn't advance the product, RF will soon become extinct.

Yep ... RealFlight is showing it's age and lack of progress. The way software is progressing, if HH doesn't advance the product, RF will soon become extinct.
That's exactly right with AMD dropping support for DX9 one of the HUGE graphics card companies doesn't work with realflight and people don't know it until they buy realflight and it doesn't work and have to do the research to find it out. Not go for the future of realflight.

I have now upgraded to 21.11.1 and it just freezes. Yes, I know AMD isn't supporting DX 9 anymore, but just posting to save time for anyone else hoping it might work. It's time to find a new flight simulator software.

Finger-pointing isn't usually very productive, but for perspective I do think it's worth bearing in mind that yes, RealFlight 9 is based on an older version of DirectX, but we work correctly with that version of DirectX. As far as I know this problem is not happening because of a flaw in our implementation or some other bug that is unique to RealFlight; this problem is happening because AMD has broken something in a new driver that previously worked perfectly fine, and it is affecting not just RealFlight but many DirectX 9 applications. There is a one-to-many problem here, and it would be best addressed at the headwaters.

You are obviously free to have whatever policy you wish re: driver updates, but there is a reason AMD has such a thing as a "Recommended" driver and a separate "Latest" driver. As customers who are negatively impacted by changes they made in the latest version, I encourage you to let them know about how it has negatively impacted you and ask them to unbreak DX9 support in a new update--soon! Maybe they don't care (which would make me very angry as an AMD customer), or maybe it was completely accidental and they already have a fix in the works. Maybe they aren't in a rush because it's only a problem in the "Latest" driver. I can only guess. In any event, I imagine they are less likely to fix it if nobody seems bothered.

If there is something we can do on our end to work around this, we'll certainly do what we can. We have the specific card where the problem occurs now and can reproduce it, which is helpful. But it may be out of our hands, practically speaking. We can't just wave a wand and transform RealFlight 9 into a DX12 application. If it were that simple, it would have been done already. And again, compatibility has not been a problem except for this new and very narrow case.

Thank you again to everyone for reporting your results.
do you know where i can git some parts so i can make a model for real flight 9.5

So basically since I have an AMD Radeon 6900XT running 2021.11.3 drivers I will not be able to RF9.5. Just made that purchase on Amazon for $199. I believe it would be smart to have a disclaimer on your products alerting consumers that this product will only work with a certain video card brand.
I will return for a full refund.
BTW why are you guys still using DX9 API to make a sim?

Last edited:
I assume that DX9 was used because it was the current hottest thing way back when RF was originally written. RF9 is NOT a newly written program. It's a modification of RF8, which is a modification of RF7..RF6..RF5....

RFX WAS a total rewrite using a different graphics engine - it flopped and was discontinued because it was totally unusable on anything less than a $500+ video card. I wasn't willing to spend the money to upgrade my video JUST to run a $100 (software only) program. RF7 ran perfectly well on the video card I had then. I DID buy the full RF8 with the RFX controller, but haven't bothered to upgrade to RF9. My first RF was RF2 with the 9-pin game port controller. I've had RF2,3,5,7,&8.

Last edited:
We are seeing a pattern of users with the Radeon 5700 XT reporting problems.

Based on some preliminary research, it seems that many titles using DirectX 9 are affected, not just RealFlight.

We have ordered one of these cards so we can investigate further.

Obviously we can't try anything until ours arrives. If you feel like experimenting and have any success with forcing rendering to an on-chip GPU or by rolling back to earlier AMD drivers, please report back here.
I uninstalled the AMD bundled software and let Windows detect the video card. Once I did that RealFlight started working again. It seems like it's the software bundle and not the driver itself. You definitely need to get to the bottom of this. The ADM 5700 XT is rated as one of the TOP graphics cards available for money. I haven't seen issues with any other program other than RealFlight. I'm sure AMD will work with you to figure this out.

Last edited:
I uninstalled the AMD bundled software and let Windows detect the video card. Once I did that RealFlight started working again. It seems like it's the software bundle and not the driver itself. You definitely need to get to the bottom of this. The ADM 5700 XT is rated as one of the TOP graphics cards available for money. I haven't seen issues with any other program other than RealFlight. I'm sure AMD will work with you to figure this out.
Yes it's a real shame that KE hasn't updated the program with a new version of DirectX. Like others have said if they don't act quickly they'll probably kill off RealFlight. Lets's face it NVIDIA and AMD are the graphics board companies and now only one of them works with RealFlight. How in the world is someone just starting out going to know RealFlight requires an NVIDIA card to work. This is a terrible situation.

Terrible situation indeed. I had to returned the $199 DVD Amazon version I got the other day. No matter what I tried online to make it work, it wouldn't. I still have RF 6.5 with the controller which is compatible with the steam version of 9.5 but already seeing the D3D cpp error on that. So not worth spending $99 to get it. I think RF is dying since it was purchased by Horizon Hobbies. The solution to this is to HH spins off RF to its own entity again for a successful future.

Back