Issues with Radeon 5700 XT

The forum is not Technical Support. Call Horizon Hobby for technical support. I think that your answer lies within this thread. Hint: It is a driver issue.

The vast majority of answers here are from other RF users. This has never been a primary source of support.

I can't match your knowledge level. I have recently upgraded to the AMD RX 5700 XT working with a Benq 350R curved screen. The results have been fantastic and everything works brilliantly. So in my ignorance I assumed that RF9 would be fine. So I am now left with an unusable software programme which together with my Horizon wireless dongle to connect my DX9 cost £140.

I am supprised how poor the customer support has so far been. I expected coming from the USA that this would be fantastic! I will put it down to lifes experience!
Before you give up, uninstall the radeon drivers you are currently using and then install 20.5.2. I'm not sure what the latest radeon drivers were supposed to fix, it may have been for something that doesn't offer any improvements for you. So far I have not found any lost performance using 20.5.2. with the sims I use.

Sometimes a new set of drivers will break something that was working previously this isn't a big deal just use an older set of drivers that work until AMD fixes it. I ran a quality control lab for 3dfx for a while and it's not uncommon for a new set of drivers to break something. We did recursive testing to catch that type of stuff but there's so many cases you can't take the time to test all of them, there's always lots of pressure to release a new set of drivers as fast as possible (they're fixing a current game usually).

Sometimes a new set of drivers will break something that was working previously this isn't a big deal just use an older set of drivers that work until AMD fixes it. I ran a quality control lab for 3dfx for a while and it's not uncommon for a new set of drivers to break something. We did recursive testing to catch that type of stuff but there's so many cases you can't take the time to test all of them, there's always lots of pressure to release a new set of drivers as fast as possible (they're fixing a current game usually).

Unfortunately AMD has a well documented History of poor Driver support. Waiting for them to fix something may be a very long time if they even bother to fix it in the first place.

Unfortunately AMD has a well documented History of poor Driver support. Waiting for them to fix something may be a very long time if they even bother to fix it in the first place.
You got that right I had "1" AMD card and faced that exact problem so I stay with NVidia graphics cards.

I too have done some research on the web and found that many of the people reporting trouble with dx9 on rx 5700 xt's are trying to run old software on new graphics. For Knife Edge to deliver brand new, latest, greatest software with old graphics is not commendable. If my findings are right, MS has not updated dx9 since 2010 which put the "new" RF9 in about the same category. Since then MS has updated to dx10, dx11, and dx12, what's happened with Knife Edge.
I need the latest Radeon drivers on my system to run the high performance graphics I need for sim racing so downgrading drivers is not an option. I've updated RF9 to 9.00.022
When I start RF9, I have win10's task manager showing on a second screen. Shortly after RF9 opens, the words "not responding" appear next to RealFlight 9 (32bit). The only way I can cancel RF9 is by using the end task button in task manager. Nothing on the RF9 screen works
Because RF9 is 32bit software, I tried to start RealFlight 9 Launcher in win10/64 "safe" mode. RF9 screen comes up and while "Initializing Height Map" bar appears, I get the following error message:
D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
file: DXEffect.cpp
line: 850 & line: 910
Hopefully this info will help you find where the problem is in Knife Edge's RF9 software

This is the same error message I get. However I dont know how to find the problem in the RF9 software and even if I do I dont know what to do with it. I'm not a computer wizard but with guidance I can get around it. My Windows 10 is 64bit. So does this mean RF9 will not work on this computer?

Unfortunately what seems to follow this post in this thread looks like a lot of blame game and doesn't really help me to solve the problem.

I just want to run a Flight Sim that will help me improve my flying as an intermediate RC pilot.

Thank you

Yet the answer is right above your post. It is a problem with your graphics card, not Real Flight software. Use the suggested driver version.

Real Flight runs on Windows 10 64bit.

I don't have a Radeon 5700 XT Graphics card. My computer is older. It has a Radeon HD4670 card and according to all the info I can find it has the latest driver. It won't let me upgrade or revert to 20.52. I am doing a Windows update and will see if that changes anything. I am now trying to do a RF9 Download onto a different laptop but that has a fairly basic Graphics card.

Just checking with for an update from this side. I have reached out to AMD and they thanked me for pointing out the issue (similar to the above) unfortunately for me I am a new user so I haven't gotten to spend much time on RF9 before it started to not work (mandatory VC upgrades for my work) your fastest perhaps something like this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/feature-mapping

or something like this: https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

Can help work toward a longer term solution for the obsolete software issue.

Really? Really? First Post and You are calling RF9 obsolete? Get Real. It is a bug in Radeon Driver. That really takes the cake. Troll

Take a deep breath, I never said Realflight was obsolete, if you knew anything about programming and clicked the things I shared you'd see its methods to translated DirectX9 to later versions without major programming changes to the original software. While the issue is currently with one type of hardware this usually foreshadows greater and larger issues down the road.

When the software is aged out by its creator its called obsolete so directX9 is considered obsolete, not my words just industry language.

Not a trolling, offering solutions that can extend all of our Sim time into the future with limited or no downtime.

The thread actually resolved the problem I was having, I was sharing a possible fix to help the developers extend the life of their work by adding a translation table as opposed to a major reframing to update a program with limited reach and profit potential.

relax, and dont be so sensitive...

Just wondering if there are any other AMD/Radeon cards that are not working. I have a Radeon HD 5450 but I have not yet upgraded to 9.5...thought I would wait to see what issues are popping up first.

I'm not sure if any other Radeon cards are having those driver problems. Either way, it shouldn't matter whether you're running 9.0 or 9.5. So if it's working for you now, updating won't change that. Grab the new version! ?

Back