Krate

technoid

Going to the flying field is an interesting time, to say the least. There's all kinds of planes and some stuff you look at and go, what? Back in the day, when I first started flying line control I made these planes out of orange crate slats with a Cox .049 on them.. ha they flew, but a bit strange. SO.. we'll see what Krate grows up to be.

Attachments

• Krate 02.jpg
    Krate 02.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 15
Is it going to be control line? Seems possible using a grapple maybe?

It als would work with the aerotow. Only it would require 2 people, one has to be the anchor. I've played with it and it does work. Hook has to be on the wingtip and the anchor aircraft needs to be 3ft off the ground. We used the quadcopter X as a anchor and had it hold 3ft or so off the ground.

The control line thing was just to give my inspiration for a crude design from something I did in the past. It's a 90 in. wingspan rc plane. The first render was just to show where the plane started it will be very different in the end. The fuselage is different in that it's built flat horizontal and vertical to look like a foam board plane but it's built up balsa and plywood. The wing won't be flat like it is in the first render like I said that was something I put together to start from. So watch as it goes it will be a bit different. The idea is a crude looking plane, and of course it shows off my new Desert Aircraft DA-70 really well.

I've been working on Krate today firming up what it's going to look like a little. I set the shape of the hstab and vstab and also adjusted the firewall shape and rounded off the corners. Remember this will continue to be a rather crude design so nothing fancy here. I also adjusted the fuselage pieces to be two inches thick, both the horizontal and vertical sections. They will continue to be flat to mimic something I seen at the flying field. Now I need to set the profile shape of the fuselage and add the airfoil to the wing and control surfaces. Here's a render of where I left off.

Attachments

• Krate 03.jpg
    Krate 03.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3
I probably should slow down my updates and save them until I have more finished. But each time I update I think I'm going to stop but take a small break and get back to it. Anyway I did a couple of things. I added the shape of the fuselage and refined the shape of the hstab and vstab. So here's another render it's starting to look like something now.

Attachments

• Krate 04.jpg
    Krate 04.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
Well, I say if your going with "rather crude design", AND, that your basing on something created from an orange crate, I say, use roller skate wheels (steel of coarse) for your landing gear. :D:D:p

I remember those old control line plastic Cox planes. I also remember one of those engines in some kind of sand buggy. I just can't remember what that buggy was called .. grrrrr... I can see it in my old mind.

Okay... Last update for the day. I added the airfoil to the wing which forced me to increase the size of the vertical and horizontal slab pieces that make up the fuselage. Here's a render of it now. Now I need to decide what kind of gear I want on it. I have something on it now but you can't see it in the renders. But that's for another day.

Attachments

• Krate 05.jpg
    Krate 05.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6
Can an RC Plane be a Hot Rod? Maybe! Be sure to look for the Lake Pipes and Performance Air Cleaner with K&N Filter. Oh the wingtips has smoke for that cool twirly effect.

Attachments

• Krate 06.jpg
    Krate 06.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Krate 07.jpg
    Krate 07.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Krate 08.jpg
    Krate 08.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8
  • Krate 09.jpg
    Krate 09.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Krate 10.jpg
    Krate 10.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 7
Engine looks real nice in that position Technoid, exhaust looks real nice as well. You may be dating yourself with the mention of Lake pipes, but then again, I`m dating myself as well, having knowledge of them. :p. Just down make a low rider out of it, or put hydraulics on it. OH, and NO dingle balls or fuzzy dice. :eek::D

Last edited:
haha anything hot rod related is good in my books i have built a few over the yrs , looks good technoid i don't think i ever seen a twin setup on its side before that would be interesting in RL if it would run even on the cylinders i imagine it would though

Engine looks real nice in that position Technoid, exhaust looks real nice as well. You may be dating yourself with the mention of Lake pipes, but then again, I`m dating myself as well, having knowledge of them. :p. Just down make a low rider out of it, or put hydraulics on it. OH, and NO dingle balls or fuzzy dice. :eek::D

I put fuzzy dice on it but they kept blowing off :D

haha anything hot rod related is good in my books i have built a few over the yrs , looks good technoid i don't think i ever seen a twin setup on its side before that would be interesting in RL if it would run even on the cylinders i imagine it would though

Yeah I was worried about putting it on it's side and even did a google search for it but didn't see anything, so I just did it. And it does look cool that way.

I got a nice PM about what that old control line buggy with the small cox engine was. It was called the Sandblaster. I loved that thing as a 12 year old. I almost never put it one a line. Just put a tiny bit of fuel in it and chased it down.
That was after a dozen tries to get it started.

Last edited:
I did a bit more work on Krate and she's ready to start mapping now. Actually I did quite a few tweaks but you can't see any of them in this picture but the transparent canopy I added. I think it's a nice improvement. Here's a list of some of the other things I did.

1. Increased the diameter of the front wheels and reduced the tail wheel.
2. Increased the diameter of the front and tail landing gear wire.
3. Reduced the width of the wing tip pieces.
4. Increased the height of the horizontal section of the fuselage.
5. Chamfered all the parts to round off the edges.
6. Finalized the physics.

In the beginning I thought this was going to be a really crude looking plane but it actually turned out much better than I thought it would. Here's a picture from RealFlight showing what it looks like now. Of course this is just baked on colors and I'll create a real CS after I map it.

You can't see them in the picture but there's small smoke emitters on the end of each wing tip and you can get normal exhaust smoke with CH 7 and you can add Wing Tip smoke with the 3 Position switch in the Center. So you can have 1, 2, or 3 streams of smoke.

Attachments

• Krate 11.jpg
    Krate 11.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 10
Back